Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2000 when I bought my first xterra, it seemed there was quite the comaraderie amongst most buyers. When I waved to others, others waved back and smiled. As time went on, it seemed fewer and fewer folks waved. Now, enter 2008 where most folks looked at me like I have a giant boil on my face... oh wait, that's just my nose. Well, you get the picture.

So, my theory is that when a new and innovative vehicle enters the market, individualist owners seeking a fantastic new product all share something in common, but after a few years when a vehicle hits the cheapie used car market and can be purchased by the general sheeple, the chances of passing another owner whose enthusiasm matches your own becomes slim to none.

Now I know the FJ is still new, but those of you who have been in the trenches for a year or more - What have your experiences been now with regards to what I described in the FJ community?

Sidebar: A howl out to all members in the Milwaukee/Madison area - Up for an informal lunch, cookout, trail run, drive-by, five-state killing spree, etc?

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You are correct that the initial fever wears off after a bit. Believe it or not, not all FJ owners take them off road. Who'd have thunk it.

One thing that does remain constant, every time I go wheeling with my FJ buddies the other people with different make rigs are surprised at how capable the FJ really is. Many have made comments that they cant believe we bring these $30K rigs out on the trails and push them to their limits.

Last time out at the Gulches in SC a bunch of guys were telling us "You wont be able to make it up that hill" to which I responded "just watch" We made the hill with ease and one of the guys that warned us just had to prove he could do it too. He snapped his driveshaft trying and we winched him up the rest of the hill!

Toyota has a strong off road reputation and the FJ is just carrying the torch forward.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Yeah, I think Smalls and myself have the only two in town that actually know what dirt looks like. All the others just seem to be driven by prissy moms. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
The prissy moms in their generic FJ's get very nervous when I wave at them from the flight deck of my FJ.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Modded FJs will wave back.:wave:
I agree, when I take the highway I run into several FJ, but only the ones with some kind of mod will wave or acknowledge the presence of the other one somehow. And by the way, my wife's FJ is stock but don't be mislead, she will tackle any trail any time.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Sidebar: A howl out to all members in the Milwaukee/Madison area - Up for an informal lunch, cookout, trail run, drive-by, five-state killing spree, etc?

Howls,
FJ Wolf
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Down here there are a fair amount of FJC's. The only ones I get responses from are the modded ones. We need to get more people on the forums!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Modded FJs will wave back.:wave:
Most of the FJs in LV wave back even if they are stock, the only ones that don't are the mall crawlers.:wave:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
It's been my observation that at first, most of the serious folks bought the FJ and we were all waving at each other. Since then the soccer moms and the mid-life crisis folks have caught on and now FJ's are all over the place. The soccer moms are on the phones when they are driving and the mid-life crisis dudes are in a daze so they never wave back.

If someone waves back at me, I know I've scored a wave from a serious contender.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
476 Posts
Funny thing is here in Texas (where waving is a state custom) I don't get very many waves back. But then again the only ones that do are the Moded FJ's. I guess we all know what family really is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
well there is only like 3 FJ's around here so we all kind of know each other so I pretty much aways get a wave back but out side of my home turff it is another story damn mall crawlers, I mean you can use it for whatever you want is it so hard to wave back :wave:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't get many waves here in VT. But I keep trying! The numbers of FJs has increased over the past few months and I've only seen two slightly modded rigs.

:wave:

toby

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
FJs are pretty common in my area. There are probably 6 of them in my little area including another TT. None of them are modded (including mine :mecry:). NONE of them have ever waved at me. Granted, I haven't tried waving first, but I've always been ready to wave back if they had!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get waves from modded 4x4 across all makes. The only ones that could care less are the full size swampers with 2 foot lifts and ladders to hop in. I stopped waving at all the non-modded FJ's unless it is a TRD or TT. Now get this, my neighbor across the street has a Sun Fusion and I looked at it and kicked the tires several times. When I got my TT he walks over the first day and asked me how much I water my grass to keep it from burning, not one mention about the new FJ in the drive. He is a nice guy but I don't think he cares one way or another. On the other hand, I was looking at one parked on display at the mall and a nice looking lady comes over to me (I thought she was a sales lady) and asks me if I was looking to buy one and then goes on to tell me how her husband bought one and she thought it was the best thing ever and how they love it and how I would love it if I got one. So here's a wave to everybody

1 - 20 of 26 Posts