Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point I made my introduction and explained my forum name, BrutusII. I also promised a picture of the original Brutus when I found one. Well, as I was going through papers that have been tossed into various boxes after move after move, guess what I found?

I give you...my long lost 1971 FJ40...how I miss it so....I bought it my senior year of high school after mowing many a lawn. I spent that summer wheeling every day near Aspen, CO. I took it to college and planned on owning it till the wheels fell off, but it was not to be: It was hit by a drunk driver in a full size pick up doing 35mph while it was parked about 6 years into my ownership... Totaled and bent the frame. At the time I did not have the resources to limp an immobile car across the country so I had to let it go.

Sooo Past and Present: FJ40 in Redstone CO in 1991, and the FJC at Rollins Pass, CO in 2010

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for the picture. That was one nice looking FJ40. Sorry to hear about the drunk driver. What a bastard. At least she is remembered and has an adequate successor.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I wish I still had it. It was by no means perfect as you can see but it never broke down on my after many a mile!

·
Registered
460 Posts
ah... what an old beauty... here's mine..

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow that thing is awesome! At some point I want another FJ40. The FJC has quenched my thirst a bit but I really want to get my hands on another! That or maybe a 55...or an 80...or...um....so many....choices!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've had a 40, 60 and the FJC... I have to say that the FJC is the most comfortable followed by the 60 and VERY distantly the 40... The OME lift I have on the 40 at present isn't exactly helping in that regard.. BUT the 40 is by far the coolest looking 4x4 ever made hands down... I'll go toe to toe with anyone who disputes that! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah when I was growing up my Dad had a blue striped 55 for a long while, we actually rolled that thing over in a blizzard at one point and drove away, then he had a 1st gen 4Runner, then a 2nd Gen 4 Runner, then a Tacoma, and now a Tundra.

I had the FJ40, then when it died I was about to move and needed something a bit more economical so I got a Celica ST, then traded that for a couple Tacomas in a row and when I saw the FJC I just had to have it. Really stupid to buy it at the time but...meh...I love the thing and you only live once!

You're right though, I never used the winch on that FJ40 once, and I went through some pretty good stuff. Although I never had anyone to wheel with back then so I had to use some judgement ;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Here ya go Brutus.................

Looks like my '68 and your '71 coulda been cousins?

[/IMG]

May yours RIP - now go get another one.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
:mecry: I miss my 40

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mud - Yep looks like they are cousins alright ;)

Maybe we need a support group:

FJ40 Owners Who Have Lost, sniff sniff.

Actually from the looks of it there is one already: FJCruiserForums.com!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As you should my friend, as you should...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts