Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left the Summit this morning and was heading for Moab when on the side of Highway 550 we see a Sandstorm colored FJC and a guy frantically waving his hat at us. I pulled over only to find out that an FJC had gotten stuck in a precarious position in a small OHV area right off the highway. Komombo had decided to climb a small hill and lost traction in some soft dirt and slide sideways down the hill a bit and was close to rolling over.

This is what we saw as we drove up. Doesn't look too bad right...

As we walked up the hill it started to look a little worse. He was obviously not going to drive out of this one without some assistance.

Komombo's inclinomter on the dash was right at 30*, but what you can't see in the pictures are the ditch on the down hill side that certainly would have swallowed his FJC and caused him to roll multiple times. Here Jim from Inchworm and Ocr14a survey the situation and decided that winching him from the front is the best option.

So, I unloaded the FJC and started up after him.

I decided to back up the hill since there was little or no room at the top to turn around.

Jim connected the winch to Komombo's ultra-cool Demello bumper and I tightened down the cable and Komombo (after a very very deep breath) got back into his FJC and drove out while I winched him. The rear of his FJC spun around downhill and pointed him uphill in the correct direction. From there he was able to back down the hill.

Pulled to safety... Thanks for the fresh fruit Komombo! We hope you made it home to SD OK.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I give props to Komombo, for being patient enough to wait for help instead of trying to push it and get out of the situation with out help.
And props goes out to you guys that spotted him and stop to help.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really have to say that Komombo was a real sport about the situation. He was definitely concerned about getting back into his FJC and driving it out (even with me winching him). Jim offered to drive it out for him and he said "Nope, I got myself into this mess and I'm going to get myself out of it!" A few deep breaths and a little pacing and he hopped back in and drove it out. :bigthumb: to Komombo for driving it out. I'm sure his seats covers took a beating today. :p

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
X2 to all the above!

Great job guys!!!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
677 Posts
looks like things could have gotten really bad.great work guys!!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nicely done guys. Does Kal have a winch? Looks like the perfect location to bust out the Pull-Pal. I hate cambers like that. It just makes me so nervous.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Glad to see someone passed by and helped Komombo out.

I'll bet a winch and pull-pal will be on his FJ soon.

BTW, good to meet you at the Summit Komombo. :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Funny you should mention the fresh fruit... I saw Komombo stopped at a fruit stand that my gf and I had stopped at so she could go pee. That must have been pre-stuck. Glad everyone made it out ok!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sol,
If I go almost flop my rig, will you come help me out so I can see your rig in person:lol:

Great recovery job:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Glad you were there to help.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts