Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been inspecting and repairing paint chips (among other types of damage) since 1997, and do this every day. I've worked all over the country and have seen chips vary by so many factors it's hard to count. Here's the deal as I see it, I have a Voodoo Blue FJ, and yea, it has paint chips.

But they are NOT the worst...far from it.

Jeeps are just as bad, I have worked with a lot of jeep dealers and we had the same problems, the front of these things are like a barn. Take a tiny rock over to your cadillac and get a good 60 mile per hour toss into the door...is there a chip? Are you suprised?

The only reason you notice it on the FJ's so bad is because there is a really light color of primer under the paint. On most other vehicles this isn't quite the same and you don't see them as easily. Next time really look at other cars in the parking lots. You don't see them on used cars from the dealer because there are guys like me out there fixing them.

I keep mine touched up as much as I can (hate working on my own stuff) and they aren't noticeable at all. The key is to NOT go buy that BS touch up kit, or at least get a real paint brush with a 00 or 0 tip and fill in each one...fill it in, don't get it all over the parts that are still blue, and you won't even notice them anymore.

I've taken a lot of pictures lately and will be posting up how to's on scratch removal and paint touch-up once I get them written.

Oh...if you live in Colorado, New Mexico, or the northern states where they use that grit on the road...umm...if something hits your truck at over 70 mph...it's probably going to do a bit of damage. It's not Toyota's fault...sue the rock.

WLG

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to instructional pics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What type of paint do you use to do the touch up? I have the vodoo as well and chipping around the side of the front window.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
W:blueblob:aiting........

DEWFPO

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wanderlustguy,
Thanx in advance for the pictures. I bought the small paint bottle with the pen and brush and matching paint from the Auto-Zone store to "touch up" my Taco. It worked pretty good. You really have to get right up on it to see anything. However in my opinion the VDB paint is weak.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I agree that the FJ is no worse than any other car out there with regards to chipping. I don't buy that they use any special chip resistant paint.... sounds like a sales gimmick to me. I got a few bottles of touch up from the dealer so I didn't accidently get a mismatch color. It was only a few bucks per can. I touch up chips as I notice them, and unless you know where they are, you probably won't see it.

Do you guys use any type of clear top coat on the touch up spot? I haven't been using any.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have my right side keyed all the way (since Nov 2006), plus the regular paint chips. I guess that in my case someday it will require polishing anyway, right?

My name is Mudd: did you got your nickname from that Primus song? lol. Nice nickname.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I agree that the FJ is no worse than any other car out there with regards to chipping. I don't buy that they use any special chip resistant paint.... sounds like a sales gimmick to me. I got a few bottles of touch up from the dealer so I didn't accidently get a mismatch color. It was only a few bucks per can. I touch up chips as I notice them, and unless you know where they are, you probably won't see it.

Do you guys use any type of clear top coat on the touch up spot? I haven't been using any.
I splurged and got the Toyota paint pen for SunFusion. Paint code 5A3 I believe. Works pretty good. There are 2 sides to the pen. One side is paint the other side is clear coat. Don't have any stone chips yet but got a few nicks when I put the new Demello front bumper on. The pen did a great job covering the nicks. Let dry then use the clear coat side and right as rain.:rocker:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biggest thing is what you guys already do, get the touch up paint and USE IT RIGHT AWAY. I can make almost any color for any car, so I just mix up my own when needed.

Those vertical lines on our trucks just beg for rock chips...I painted my pillars black...gloss black and polished the "flat black" tape on the window to match...looks good to me.

Scratches are a bit tougher, but I'll do multiple threads, one for touch up, another for scratches and buffing. Hopefully I can get everything put together in the next week or so, just want to make sure I don't skip something.

Preventative measures are the best bet to keep the damage to a minimum. Wax the hell out of the truck, the wax makes the tree limbs, etc, slip across the surface and prevents a lot of scratches. Rock chips actually seem to be less frequent as well.

Long term plans are to register my company as a vendor here and show up for the trail runs with all of my equipment in tow to fix trail damage on the spot...we'll see how that goes.

My name came from the fact that I've lived all over the US, most of my friends begin our conversations asking where I live now.

At the moment I am in Taos, NM, just got back from Blanca, CO and the Great Sand Dunes.

DD

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I am keeping an eye out on this thread as well thanks :)

one question how to we repair the trail kisses? I have 2 scratches on my FJ now after my last outing......not down into the paint looks like its in the clearcoat...looks like it can actually be buffed out, but I went to my local pep boys bought one of the generic orbital buffers and no joy.....any suggestions

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Chip-er-dee-do-da, chip-er-de-day...

eagerly awaiting pics and more info.

Fellow VDB sufferer, also with my right side keyed all the way (since Mar 2007) and the regular paint chips, plus terrible chips on the door edges.

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
:bump: for pics.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I too have a Voodoo Blue and it has it's share of chips. I purchased a pen from the dealer and it seems to work OK.
Any suggestions for taking cactus scratches out? Did some wheelin' out in west Texas on an old ranch and she got scratched up some. It's hard to see on the paint but the black panels on the upper doors show it bad. Suggestions other then stay away from cactus? :bandit:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I too have a Voodoo Blue and it has it's share of chips. I purchased a pen from the dealer and it seems to work OK.
Any suggestions for taking cactus scratches out? Did some wheelin' out in west Texas on an old ranch and she got scratched up some. It's hard to see on the paint but the black panels on the upper doors show it bad. Suggestions other then stay away from cactus? :bandit:
The black door panels are actually just black vinyl. I'm pretty sure you can just buy the same vinyl, and re-cover them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.