Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
441 - 460 of 1337 Posts

· Premium Member
9,633 Posts
Re: Meet the Scorpion (Uphill's Build-Up)

Your Write up is off the charts. Wow I really like all the detail and of course your rig lives up totally to your write up.
Thanks for sharing this. I may have to add a few pages to my build page to give a sumation of all I have done.

This is really good stuff
thanks
your rig stings hard
Don

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·

A few more mods to report:

Lights mounted to the forward and rear N-Fab lightbars

3 x Acro X1870M Driving Lights & 2 x 40 B/U PIAA Flood Lights

2 x 40 B/U PIAA Flood Lights & 1 x LEDQUAD LED Strobe Light Bar

GPS - Lowrence 540C

Taking cues from some very sharp people, I have a new Lowrence 540c mounted on the FJ.

I collaborated with SHADOW-WARRIOR, who created a mount to place the GPS where the R/V mirror had been. For the sort of driving I like to do, the R/V mirror is much less important than the GPS. I run a larger spare that tends to obscure the view to the rear and on an expedition load-out the back is "full".

It is easy to view, easy to operate on-the-fly and it doesn't obstruct the forward view.

I took a shot through the windshield and you can see that the GPS is well out of the way. It's a little tougher to get the idea in the above photo looking out of the windshield.

CRUISERLARRY Home fabricated a mount for the GPS, and it attaches to the N-Fab light bar.

Here's a closer view of the mount for the GPS Antenna.

Tuffy Rooftop LockBox

I took the idea from CRAZYHERMIT who is a hermit (maybe) but he isn't as crazy as he claims to be. He was on the Kokopelli Expedition and had this rooftop lockbox. I liked the idea because there is a volume of recovery equipment including my Bushranger X-Jack, tow straps, ARB snatchblock, Fiskars axe, bolt cutters, etc. that I have with me all the time -- stored in the back of the FJ. This solution takes all of that "stuff" that I keep with me but don't use unless trail trouble happens and puts it on top, out of the way. The box comes with its own air dam and bolts securely to the top of the FJ.

I mounted my Hi-Lift jack transversely, across the OE roof rack behind the lock box. The photo below shows that mount. It's a temporary location until Jason DeMello gets my Fab Fours bumper in (DeMello sponsored group buy). Then it will mount to the spare tire on the swinging arm.

As with the lockbox, the Hi-Lift isn't something I use often and a transverse mount is just as good as a mount along the side of the FJ's OE rack.

You'll note with this series of modifications that I am trying to utilize the OE rack completely rather than going to an after market rack. By so doing I save weight (the OE rack is very light) and money, while getting similar storage and light mounting capability.

· Premium Member
8,892 Posts

Very nice Larry. You can disregard my question in the other thread on the box & dam. Very functional and the rear light bar looks perfect back there.

· Registered
3,744 Posts

Hey Larry, Are you looking for a new job? I hear that the border patrol is looking for rigs like yours to look for folks comming over the border. You could have another pention in five years!:grinbiginvert:

Rig looks awsome!

· Premium Member
3,899 Posts

It's getting better all the time.

I've been looking here everyday and expecting to see the snorkel installed.

You're showing me (us) the "Way" Brother.

I'll stay tuned to this channel.

:bigthumb:

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·

Hey Larry, Are you looking for a new job?
I find that working on my FJ and playing on the trail is becoming a full-time job. :bigthumb:

I'm headed to Arizona to play with SEANK and PUULBOY Friday in the Mesa (Martinez Canyon) area and then down to Tuscon for the Copper Creek Run with RELIC HUNTER and crew on Saturday-Sunday.

Is that too much time in the FJ?

:notsigned:

Wait for the next string of mods coming this month (my Christmas to me since there's no way I'll get off the naughty list again this year): Fab Fours rear bumper with swinging arm, Safari Snorkel and MAF Aux Fuel Tank. Then I'll be content (for a while).

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

I really like the box youve been tell me about, it does keep everything that you "Need" to be with you at all times, but keeps it out of the usable space that you need on a daily bases, very nice buddy. :cheers:

The light look awesome, I can't wait for the nightime pics. :D

The Scorpion is VERY BAD AZZ!

· Premium Member
9,633 Posts

This thread is going to cause me heartburn. Every time I open a build I see more mods to put on the list. This rig is bad ##s
thanks
Don

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·

The light look awesome, I can't wait for the nightime pics. :D
I had not planned on taking night picts of Scorpion, however, since my friend SHADOW-WARRIOR requested them...

I am not an inspired photographer like Dragon or some of the other competition winners. So please understand.

Scorpion from the front.

The lower driving lights operate as "fog lights" in that they project their beams down to provide brilliant coverage of the road directly in front of me. The ACRO HID lights (centered on the N-Fab bar) are medium range driving lights that take it out about 100 meters. The PIAA floods on the left and right are there for trail driving purposes since the road is rarely straight and I want to know what I'm turning into. They are toggled as follows:
HID Driving Lights
Left Flood
Right Flood
HELLA Flood (forward driving lights on bumper)

Scorpion from the rear.

The PIAA floods are directed in such a way as to flood down (right) and flood out (left) to provide coverage behind the rig for camping purposes and for backing purposes in the event that I need to turn around in darkness. They are switched together.

Scorpion Hazard Lights.

These operate independently of the ignition switch as does the GPS. There are 9 programable patterns and they are very bright. The photo doesn't do them justice. I have them on the wig-wag pattern at the moment.

Think about driving in dust behind somebody. Those lights should let you know I'm there -- please don't run into the back of the FJ. Or if I break down, hopefully they mark my position by the side of the road. Then again if there's a problem, strobes such as that are visible for a long way. (TCAO, remember the Kokopelli Trail by Hideout Canyon?)

Thanks to TCAO for giving up his discount on the ACRO lights so that I could buy them at a reduced price!

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

Very Cool...The Scorpion looks like it can light the way and then some. And your right, I do like the LED's on the rear, very cool.....Hummm..Damn Larry...Something else to add to the list...:D It looks great buddy! :cheers:

Check your e-mail...

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·

Light it up! That's looking mighty bright. I need to try to take some night shots of my lights. Thanks for the idea Larry. :wave:
Maybe it's time for me to consider a modified Avatar(?)... naaaah.

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

Sweet lights!

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·

Sweet lights!
I approached the whole off-road driving light issue with some trepidation. How often do we use them? For me, not all that often. And they're an expensive mod. I was content with the Hella Black Magic Lights on the ARB for a long time for that reason - then TCAO gave me a discount certificate and it moved me off dead center. Even they've only been on a short time, I like the ACRO lights and am looking forward to using them. The PIAA floods are much less expensive and do what it is that I wanted them to do (practically surround the FJ with light for camping as well as driving use). I also like the more aggressive forward mount that the N-Fab bar allows since I can still use ALL of the OEM rack behind it. The addition of the Tuffy Box filled that role as well as significantly reducing the wind/road noise from the lights/light bar.

Pencil beams were not for me since I don't drive fast on the trail at night (I'm not a Baja Racer) and I don't need over 100 meters of reaction time to a road hazard on the trail. The modified pattern that ACRO offers is very good, very functional and does what I need. (I think) Once I have a chance to give them a good shakedown, I'll post again and let you know if I've changed my mind.

· Premium Member
8,892 Posts

I really like how you are using as much of the rack as you can instead of just ditching it. :bigthumb:

441 - 460 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.