Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
561 - 580 of 1337 Posts

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
Re: Meet the Scorpion (Uphill's Build-Up)

The bumper looks awesome Larry! The shift knob is cool too!
Oh, and Thanks for the "Drop Off":alfdance: :D
For those of you who don't know...WRIGMAN has been ghosting me since my rear OEM (tupperware) bumper has been about to go the way of the dinosaur. I think a piece dropped off on his driveway.

I'll take some photos of the latch side in the morning, Tony, and will post one or two. The bumper looks good, it's very solid, and the plastic behind the rear tires is gone, replaced with steel. The Fab Fours quality is unsurpassed.

It's raining and it's dark. I took a flash photo:

My rear door had been swinging "heavy" with the rear tire and the MPAC gear and I needed a swinging arm solution. Yes, it's a heavy piece of metal and I agree with people who say that lighter is better. At the same time there is a trade-off for protection and both this bumper and the Kaymar bumper are heavy to support the weight of the rear tire. I'm also running heavy (but very strong) WE wheels and that puts more weight on the spare.

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

Larry, maybe it's time to talk to your insurance company for a reduce premium due to the safety upgrades :).

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·

Larry, maybe it's time to talk to your insurance company for a reduce premium due to the safety upgrades :).
When the reactive armor goes on, you know I will. It's only a matter of time until I go to that extreme...:silly:

· Registered
1,652 Posts

That is very nice...

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·

30,000+ views on this thread! Everyone is drinking the grape juice :grinbiginvert: . Have you eclipsed Air2air yet?
It's flattering that some people care about what I've done but my rig isn't in the class of Amanda's or Sol's SFA rockFJ's, AIR2AIR's starship, DRAGON's or SHADOW-WARRIOR's works of rolling wicked metal, or any of a number of other completely trick FJC's. It's not as well thought out as TCAO's or as custom as COWBOY 4X4's or as scratched up as MIR207's and I could go on.

At the same time, I do enjoy driving it. At the risk of sounding very trite, just driving it is a pure pleasure to me.

There is a purity to the desert, especially at night. Driving beyond the city lights, beyond the human stain and turning off the engine and the power and the accessories and sitting there in the crisp chill of dry desert night with the stars as bright as a carpet overhead, I forget who I am and where I am for a moment and find myself at peace.

Maybe some of that fulfillment I find is passed on through this build-up site. At least I hope so. Because it's really not about the modifications or customizations to me. I enjoyed the stock FJ every bit as much as I enjoy it now that it's flashy as a rat with a gold tooth. It's all about the joy of spending time with people who have common interests, going someplace remote and for a brief transcendental moment, being able to see what's on the other side of the horizon.

That's how I felt when I took it out for the first time and it's how I feel about the FJ today.

· Premium Member
8,892 Posts

Nicely said Larry :bigthumb:

· Registered
3,744 Posts

· Premium Member
3,034 Posts

It's flattering that some people care about what I've done but my rig isn't in the class of Amanda's or Sol's SFA rockFJ's, AIR2AIR's starship, DRAGON's or SHADOW-WARRIOR's works of rolling wicked metal, or any of a number of other completely trick FJC's. It's not as well thought out as TCAO's or as custom as COWBOY 4X4's or as scratched up as MIR207's and I could go on.

At the same time, I do enjoy driving it. At the risk of sounding very trite, just driving it is a pure pleasure to me.

There is a purity to the desert, especially at night. Driving beyond the city lights, beyond the human stain and turning off the engine and the power and the accessories and sitting there in the crisp chill of dry desert night with the stars as bright as a carpet overhead, I forget who I am and where I am for a moment and find myself at peace.

Maybe some of that fulfillment I find is passed on through this build-up site. At least I hope so. Because it's really not about the modifications or customizations to me. I enjoyed the stock FJ every bit as much as I enjoy it now that it's flashy as a rat with a gold tooth. It's all about the joy of spending time with people who have common interests, going someplace remote and for a brief transcendental moment, being able to see what's on the other side of the horizon.

That's how I felt when I took it out for the first time and it's how I feel about the FJ today.
Wow - poetically speaking, that was awesome. What you've described above is exactly how I feel about my FJC, and off-roading in general: while I am obviously a mod junkie, its not the mods that make the adventures great. It's the combination of being able to get somewhere not everyone can, and doing it with people who feel the same way about the treks that make it a unique, enjoyable experience. The fact that my FJC's toys make the trip easier, or more interesting, is not why I go - it's the comraderie and the scenery that keep me going back for more...:)

· Registered
5,343 Posts

Purity of the desert. You aren't kidding. I took off Sunday Night for Anza Borrego, Sheep Canyon. I went up Coyote Canyon alone at night. I felt like a pioneer. Just my ride, my dog, and nature. It was a full moon that night and I ended up meeting 3 friends up at Sheep Canyon. Spent the evening around the campfire under the full brilliance of the full moon. We woke up in the morning to a sunrise that created huge rainbows that were very close to our campground. Packed up and left it they way we found it. Pure.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·

Purity of the desert. You aren't kidding. I took off Sunday Night for Anza Borrego, Sheep Canyon. I went up Coyote Canyon alone at night. I felt like a pioneer. Just my ride, my dog, and nature. It was a full moon that night and I ended up meeting 3 friends up at Sheep Canyon. Spent the evening around the campfire under the full brilliance of the full moon. We woke up in the morning to a sunrise that created huge rainbows that were very close to our campground. Packed up and left it they way we found it. Pure.
That is precisely what I'm talking about. Treading lightly, finding a place where you can be at peace, the wind through the trees and the taste of nature. Good friends, a good fire, a meal seared by the flames, the occasional glimpse of a bobcat, an elk, a stone's sheep or whatever and maybe an eagle soaring on the afternoon thermals. That's what it's about. The modifications and the vehicle you pick is secondary to all that.

· Registered
2,042 Posts

aghhhhh!!!! I feel all teared up now!!! sniff, sniff. Do you write for Hallmark, or could have for Deep Thoughts, from SNL???? JK!!!!!!! Thanks for the part!:cool:

PS. as a kid driving in the desert at night was the coolest thing, when you looked up to the stars it was just a blanket right on top of you, at a young age i felt rather small in significance to the solar systems Majestic beauty!:)

Oh and The Scorpion looks sweet!!!

· Registered
898 Posts

aghhhhh!!!! I feel all teared up now!!! sniff, sniff. Do you write for Hallmark, or could have for Deep Thoughts, from SNL???? JK!!!!!!! Thanks for the part!:cool: ................
Hey! I was browsing through Hallmark and saw this card!

(Apologies to Uphill and Sandabbe, but I could not resist)

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

:lol: Is this suppose to be a "get well", "my condolences" (to other brand owners), or "anniversary" card? :D

· Registered
2,042 Posts

no aplogy needed!! :lol: :lol: :rofl:

you forgot to put a built up scorpion on the card!!! Does the inside have his 10 rules for dating his daughter!!! by his inscription???
Just having some fun Larry!!!

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·

Waxing poetic (by popular request)​

Ode to an FJ

By Uphill

The winchline taunt, the skidplates squeal,
The sliders hit, rocks bend the steel.
Don’t turn too sharp – it’s a weak CV,
But the camera’s rolling – U-Tube TV!

:bananahump-slvrathl

· Registered
2,042 Posts

Waxing poetic (by popular request)​

Ode to an FJ

By Uphill

The winchline taunt, the skidplates squeal,
The sliders hit, rocks bend the steel.
Don’t turn too sharp – it’s a weak CV,
But the camera’s rolling – U-Tube TV!

:bananahump-slvrathl
You very verse-a-tile to this forum!!! :)

561 - 580 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.