Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 1337 Posts

· Banned
3,318 Posts
Re: Meet the Scorpion (Uphill's Build-Up)

damn, that's a good looking FJ.

i really like the red with silver. someone else on here has red rockrails and dem looks good also.

and the 1989 pre-gulf war thing looks cool too.

two questions after reading quickly through everything:

1) is the winch in?

2) why the name "scorpion"?

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)

1) is the winch in?
Yes. Plus synthetic line, delrin rollers and a safety thimbal

2) why the name "scorpion"?
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eet-scorpion-uphills-build-up.html#post526324

Because my consulting work for Pirelli Tires this Spring paid for it. I thought they should get some indirect credit. The Pirelli Scorpion is the world's most famous on-road tire! Well, it is if you own a Ferrari.

No, that's not MY Ferrari, but I get to play with them from time to time through my affiliation with Pirelli and Pirelli Racing. The development office and track at Breuberg, Germany (Bavaria) allows one to test the limits of the rubber without the nearly unlimited constraints of the Autobahn. (am I spoiled? Yes)

· Banned
3,318 Posts

Yes. Plus synthetic line, delrin rollers and a safety thimbal

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eet-scorpion-uphills-build-up.html#post526324

Because my consulting work for Pirelli Tires this Spring paid for it. I thought they should get some indirect credit. The Pirelli Scorpion is the world's most famous on-road tire! Well, it is if you own a Ferrari.

No, that's not MY Ferrari, but I get to play with them from time to time through my affiliation with Pirelli and Pirelli Racing. The development office and track at Breuberg, Germany (Bavaria) allows one to test the limits of the rubber without the nearly unlimited constraints of the Autobahn. (am I spoiled? Yes)

you got to play with that ferarri? isn't that the stripped enzo that some US rich guy/film director had them build? there's, let's see... 1,2,3... yeah, only one exists, right?

· Registered
3,447 Posts

Uphill, Can't believe I missed this thread. What an awesome job you have done both with the Scorpion and the write-up. Can't wait to meet up someday and go for a ride in that badboy.

Thanks for a tremendous amount of good info.

BTW- You take the term 'Jonesin' to a new level. :D

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)

TRAIL DAMAGE TO SCORPION! (minor)

VIDEO BY FJROD:YouTube - FJ Cruiser in Deep Creek

THUBUB, FJROD, DUSTPARK, SCOTTY (in a jeep) and I ran the route beginning at Deep Creek/Dishpan Springs and through the Rock (boulder) Garden at Holcom Creek and up Holcom Creek trail to Big Bear Lake today (8-4-07)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ings-deep-creek-run-aftermath.html#post539710

It was not an easy run and the rigs were tested as were the drivers. Deep Creek is a much more difficult trail than Holcom Valley/Holcom Creek Trail if you're wondering. The Waterfall ascent on Deep Creek is a very steep boulder field that actually IS a waterfall in the winter. It's a technical stretch of driving.

Upon examination of the rig I found that the CB antenna hardware had broken.

Yes, FJAMMING, I think it was from repeated tree limb strikes but I can't be sure.
(EDIT: A bolt inside of the Bandi Mount vibrated loose - not broken and no breakage)

DUSTPARK told me, "You left some red paint on that boulder - I think you smacked your lower control arm pretty hard." Yes, I smacked the lower control arm with a substantial drop. This is how it looks:

Nothing but s small scratch. Amazing! I did have installation problems with my lower control arms - but they're like strips of steel -- well they are strips of steel.

The BudBuilt skids took REPEATED heavy strikes as I dragged them, smacked them with the full weight of the FJ on boulders we crawled over, etc. NO DAMAGE!!! Truely amazing. Thanks Bud!

The ARB sliders did their job and took a substantial whack from a boulder on the right side of the rig. I thought I might have lost the slider but all that happened was a dent and scrape. I couldn't believe it. Thanks ARB!

I may have had a defective tire stem because it began to leak. As you'll note it's protected from trail damage by this WIDE beadlock ring. I changed the tire with the hi-lift. As those of you who've done this know, it's always a challenge on the trail. One of the ladies asked how many guys it took to change a tire because everyone helped (thanks!!).

The WATERFALL, also called the Devil's Climb or something like that - (THUBUB, correct me on this please) is a very steep son-of-a-gun.

I will admit that at first I didn't know if we'd all make it without substantial damage -- but we did. Thanks TOYOTA!

All in all it was a great run with GREAT people and the damage was minimal considering the nature of the trek.

And last but not least, thanks to my spotter (and youngest daughter)!

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

Larry, it looks like you had a great time except for some minor problems. I see your breaking her in well :)...I wish I was out there with ya buddy, maybe sometime soon :D

P.S. While you were having fun, I spent the day working on this fuel can rack, so I can get the drawings out to Jason :(

· Registered
191 Posts

Larry, the locals call it Devil's Slide. Didn't look like any slide I have ever been on!!

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)

ADDED SKID

I added an Inchworm Electric Locker Motor Guard (skid) today.

E-Locker Motor (unguarded)

E-Locker Motor (now protected)

You need to buy longer bolts than the ones on the Electric Locker Motor -- because the stock bolts are not designed to accomodate the extra metal width.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)

DONOHOE UPPER CONTROL ARMS ADDED

On the last posting I gave my reasons for doing this -- now the cool-aid is down-the-shoot.

Before

After

LIGHT RACING JOUNCE SHOCKS ADDED

Again the reasoning behind this upgrade was listed earlier in this build-up thread.

Front

Rear

The instructions say that it's a bolt-on install (hahahaha). It took Jason Demello and his crew 3.5 hours to do the work and I watched them. It would have taken me SUBSTANTIALLY longer. There's a lot of cutting and fitting that goes into the front end. The rear jounce shock install is painless.

Even though I planned to add the Jounce Shocks before the run to Deep Creek last weekend, when I saw the damage DUSTPARK sustained (photo below), I thought that perhaps the new mod would at least mitigate that (maybe?) to some degree.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

RUBBING ISSUES ADDRESSED:

I cut the body mounts but -- the 305/70/R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers rubbed not where the chop was but on the mud flaps.

So I removed the mud flaps.

And it still rubbed on bottom of the plastic fender guard.

Zap with the Sawsall. And as the photo below shows, there's some clearance now where there was very slender clearance previously.

You'll also notice prounounced splashing on the flanks of the Scorpion. You just can't have everything!

I still expect rubbing on the trail at full compression but I won't get the maneuvering tire-rubbing I have had.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)

"GIVE US THIS DAY, OUR DAILY MOD..."

SCANGUAGE II
I added a ScanGuageII and mounted it just under my driving light switch on the silver plastic panel left of the instrument console (below):

For those of you who haven't yet purchased the ScanGuageII from Jason Demello under the Forum Group Buy, I recommend you do so. They provide you with a wealth of information about what is going on under the hood. Some on the forum had installation and set up problems but I didn't experience those issues. It's one of the more practical mods I've installed.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Taking a cue from others on the forum, I bolted a cheap WalMart (Evil Empire) automotive fire extinguisher under the flip-up rear passenger seat behind the driver. I used metal screws to fasten it to the seat and inexpensive velcro straps to hold the extinguisher in place (below):

I don't know how often I'll use this extinguisher but better to have and not need than need and not have.

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

Larry the DR UCA's look great buddy, so does the Jounce shocks you installed. Your going to love the Scan Gauge. I monitor it all the time while driving. I did notice that after I installed the TRD CAI my intake air dropped from 12 -15 over amb, to 4-6 over amb. I can also "feel" the gain in acceleration. Nice upgrades, I have a very, very long way to go to catch up to you :D

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Larry the DR UCA's look great buddy, so does the Jounce shocks you installed.
My next mod will be the SHADOW MOUNT if Mr. Shadow will get off his Stealth Black TRD SE FJ and get to work --- come on --- your public is demanding the SHADOW MOUNT!

The rear bumper and the SHADOW MOUNT will be the next mods --- unless those are a ways off.

I'm looking at the Man-a-Fre aux. fuel tank seriously and it remains to be seen if they bring the cost in reasonably. They say they'll have it by the end of the month.

After talking to those knowledgable, I've dropped the plans for a URD Supercharger. Yes the power would be nice -- but. (as stated in the PM earlier today regarding my conversations).

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

My next mod will be the SHADOW MOUNT if Mr. Shadow will get off his Stealth Black TRD SE FJ and get to work --- come on --- your public is demanding the SHADOW MOUNT!

The rear bumper and the SHADOW MOUNT will be the next mods --- unless those are a ways off.

:lol: I'm working on it....:D

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

What's this "Shadow Mount" I'm hearing about? Btw, Larry, that's one bad FJ! Coming to Azusa Sunday?

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)

ROCK'EM SOCK'EM in Azusa Canyon 8-12-07

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-mud-rock-romp-8-12-aftermath.html#post552152

A dirty FJ is a happy FJ. Quite a bit of river fording, mudding, very deep "dust" the consistency of talc, and a little rocking and no trail damage beyond a loose BANDI mount.

However another FJ's hassles in rocks that I declined to enter have made me reconsider waiting for the newly designed Bud Built fuel tank skid. I'll call Bud on Monday and get one of the current generation sent my way. It's not worth the alternative.

Bottom Line: A dirty FJ is a happy FJ.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)

OFF PAVEMENT - OFF ROAD - OFF TRAIL

The Scorpion takes on Utah!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ement-off-road-off-trail-utah.html#post558845

This is an account of my recent FJ trip to Southern and Central Utah:

Note no road -- just high rolling ridgelines (8550 Ft) (113 05'//37 30')

Toward the end of the day we were in the area of Mountain Meadow, N/W of St. George and found the old Spanish Trail (the earliest road from this area to California). Now a very unimproved road we followed it from bad road to worse road to trail to worse road and eventually were able to get back on HWY 18 where it crossed.

The FJ performed flawlessly even on off-trail settings where there was no road. And for those of you who were wondering -- we left no trace of our passing except a few crushed strands of brush. The buck brush and mesquite did impart a few (more) pinstripes on my FJ's paint.

No Significant Trail Carnage!

The portion of this that deals with member build-ups is not the travel-related experiences, but the fact that the FJ just did what it's been doing for me. It ran very well, went over some really tough terrain and all of the build-ups did their jobs. I had to tighten a driving light bracket -- that's it. I checked the beadlocks and they were tight as was everything else.

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

Looks like your having a great time Larry, Great pics buddy, wish I was there :(

Just to let you know, Jason is making the item for me, more info & pics to follow soon :D

· Registered
3,744 Posts

DUDE! You just have too much fun! Looks that way anyhow. Keep it safe, see you guy's back here soon!:bandit:

41 - 60 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.