Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
801 - 820 of 1337 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
they are some great shots.i'm jealous being stuck in this 18 wheeler.

can't wait to get back out ontothe trails in the pinelands.it' not the southwest.but it the best we can do..

keep the great pics coming.

larry,how's the tank holding up?any issues?

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
larry,how's the tank holding up?any issues?
The MAF tank is just about my favorite modification - if not my VERY favorite. The range without the headaches of strapping on fuel tanks is remarkable. I'm one of those people (recall your Dad) who hates to stop on trips when "getting there" is the point. I especially hate stopping at mid-desert locations where fuel prices are way out of line with what you'd pay anywhere else. This tank provides freedom and range when you need it in the back country.

:bigthumb:

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
Death Valley Run - May 3-4, 2008

Some quick downloads of some of my favorite bullet points from the Death Valley II run:

The old cowboy at the Ballarat Outpost. Though Ballarat is officially a ghost town, there is one old cowboy who runs a general store and outpost. He sells some cool rocks that he finds and gives advice to travelers. It's a part of Americana that is fast fading. Take it in and enjoy experiences like this before they're gone.

Bone-white stretches of salt, leached up from the lifeless soil, lay like a shroud over the high desert where a paranoid Charles Manson holed up after an orgy of murder nearly four decades ago. This photo is Charles Manson's cabin at the Barker Ranch. Manson was eventually taken into custody here.

"Charles Manson Slept Here" No black light needed. MUDDYGRRL reclines on Manson's bed, still in place.

DOMINICG gives MISSUPHILL a piggy-back ride through the Manson property.

The Scorpion negotiates a tight turn with a built-up wash out known as "Chicken Rock".

MISSUPHILL and DOMINICG argue while NEVADAESH looks on. Yes the Scorpion has a MAF auxiliary tank. I was hauling fuel for MUDDYGRRL who doesn't have a roof rack.

STHARRIS up to his axles in mud. The Scorpion pulled him out.

A few FJ's explore the Panamint Mountains following our Desert Rat guide, NEVADAESH.

MUDDYGRRL finds an arrowhead on BLM land outside Death Valley.

Wild Burros in the Panamint Mountain Range.

The Scorpion emerges from a Talc mine on the east side of Mengle Pass.

The Scorpion races through a small rock garden.

The Scorpion in Ballarat Canyon.

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts
Very nice shots Larry. STHarris sure got into some deep stuff there. :)

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
Favorite Trails Section (yes I'll be adding to it)

UTAH-
  • Moab: Too much to do, mild to wild, iconic trails: Love them ALL!
  • White Rim Trail A two day (103 mile) trip through Canyonlands Natl. Park. You need a permit as they only allow a few rigs in the area at a time. Magnificent.
    Characteristics: The trail itself isn't difficult, but the terrain is breathtaking.
  • Kokopelli Trail A three day (142 mile) trip from Grand Junction, CO to Moab, UT. I put it in the Utah section because most of the trail is through Utah.
    Characteristics: This expedition trail has everything! From the Top of the World to The Rose Garden, and crossing the Delores River, it's a must-do.
  • Parunuweap Canyon Run - Elephant Gap through Elephant Cove A four-five hour trip beginning at the Pink Coral Sands State Park near Kanab and ending on Hwy 89. This is not a well-known trail and I've never seen it in a guidebook (though it well may be-I just never saw it)
    Characteristics: Deep Sand and Water Crossings
  • Skyline Drive Fairview, UT south all the way to Fish Lake (100+ miles) Yes you could try it in a 4x2 but if you get thunder showers, you're going to need to wait for the mud to harden before proceeding.
    Characteristics: High mountain summits for 100 miles.
  • San Raphael Swell The "Swell" is a massive and primitive area in Eastern-Central Utah. There are a number of things to see and experience there, the best being that it is extremely remote.
    Characteristics: EXTREMELY remote. Bring extra fuel.
  • The Grand Staircase - Cottonwood Canyon/The Paria Box & Kelly Grade Not as remote as the San Raphael Swell but you'll feel as if you're the only person on the planet. Slot canyons, arches, springs and endless colorful, eroded rocky scenery.
    Characteristics: Very remote. Bring extra fuel.

· Premium Member
4,865 Posts
Larry,

Everytime I read one of your trail reports or see pictures I get really jealous. One of these times I'm going to have to make more of an effort to go with you guys. I know it's getting warmer so when is the next one? and where are you going?

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Larry,

Every time I read one of your great trail reports, I wonder if Demello will ever get to go. He always says "I really have to go with you guys", or "when is the next one? and "where are you going?"

But he has two kids now, his aquarium is dirty, has a backlog of bumpers, and my truck is never done.

· Premium Member
4,865 Posts
Larry,

Every time I read one of your great trail reports, I wonder if Demello will ever get to go. He always says "I really have to go with you guys", or "when is the next one? and "where are you going?"

But he has two kids now, his aquarium is dirty, has a backlog of bumpers, and my truck is never done.
They make baby sitters, I have shop *****es to clean the tank, the bumpers are being built and your truck will never be done. What else you got.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
The Starship made it on the last Death Valley run but I'm thinking that maybe AIR2AIR is afraid of the dark or something --

-- because he didn't make this one. Oh, I heard that he had a new 9" rear ring and pinion and a new axle installed and didn't want to take it out for fear of ending up like STHARRIS:

But with his hover thrusters, we all know that this could never happen to the Uber FJ. So we're back to my original thesis - fear of the dark.:lol:

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Larry where exactly is that talc mine? Is it south along Mengel? I would love to see that.
It's closer to Warm Springs - on the Mengle Pass -> Warm Springs road. I don't know what the road is called but it's the only road. There are a number of mines as you drop down from Mengle Pass. This mine is visible from the road and though you can't see it in the photo, there is white chalk/talc in rock chunks everywhere and it looks like snow against the dark rock of the mine.

And how much was StHarris charged for the tow operation? I'm sure it was costly
I work for faint praise.

· Registered
898 Posts
If Batman has the Bat Cave for his Batmobile, is that the Scorpion Cave???

· Registered
1,698 Posts
I work for faint praise.
Yes I did praise Uphill for pulling me out of the pit. :bigthumb:

This stuff I got stuck in was not just mud, but actually clay. I was trying to hose it off when I got home, and it would not budge. I had to actually reach in and pull it out in clumps. I'm not kidding, this is the kind of clay that you could put on a throw wheel and make a vase with.

· Registered
2,730 Posts
This stuff I got stuck in was not just mud, but actually clay. I was trying to hose it off when I got home, and it would not budge. I had to actually reach in and pull it out in clumps. I'm not kidding, this is the kind of clay that you could put on a throw wheel and make a vase with.
It cost me $5 to use the pressure washer at the street corner car wash and not all of it is off yet. I'd rather lose $5 than leave 5 lbs of clay on my drive way. After washing off the clay, I discovered carnage on my front tupperware :(

Oh well :D

I learned a lot from Mo as she gave instructions on how to pull out StHarris's rig with the Scorpion. Good stuff.

801 - 820 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.