WELCOME TO THE SCORPION BUILD-UP THREAD
The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
photo courtesy of VOLHOO (thanks Vince)
--Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Edward Lawrence, CB, DSO
The Scorpion FJ, though unworthy of the man, has been created in honor of T. E. Lawrence (1888-1935), may he rest in peace.
When I bought the FJ, I mapped out a philosophy on which direction a build-up should take. My philosophy was built around a vehicle that could operate, removed from populated areas, and support my interest in exploration and examination of unsettled regions (increasingly difficult to find). Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
My philosophy in modifications is simple. I wanted to create a strong, capable, sustainable rig that would BRING ME HOME at the end of the day. Everything I've done to my FJ has that particular end in mind.
My favorite FJ Cruiser Moment: I'm driving my FJ on an expedition and I can't fall asleep at night under the stars because reality is finally better than my dreams.
This is the stock FJ.
I bought my FJ Cruiser on December 23, 2006 as a Christmas present to myself since it was highly unlikely that anyone else would buy an FJ for me no matter how hard I tried to get off the naughty list.
My daughter Emilie agreed to ride shotgun with me on trail runs.
a clear jewel on a leafpoint,
the river begins!
(Photo Courtesy of THUBUB, Holcomb Creek ford - 07)
And I began the process of modifying
Edited and Updated Mod List
I'm going to use this partcular posting to post added mods so it will change over time to reflect those additions. Some mods will replace others so occasionally there will be deletions as well.
FROM THE DEALER
(photo courtesy of CRAZYHERMIT and NETTI - Kokopelli Trail - Nov. 2007)
(photo courtesy of DOMINICG - Mojave Road - Feb. 2008)
(photo courtesy of DRAGON - Kokopelli Trail - July 2008)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Model 4704C
Upgrade Package 1 <ATRAC/Rear Locker>
CQ and C7 Convenience Packages
Curtain Shield Airbags
Build Date: November 2006
Engine bay bulges/rips: First noticed 1/21/08 - bulged on both fenders @22K miles
Significant Mechanical Problems: None so far
- ARB Bull Bar - Front Bumper
- DeMello Offroad rear bumper w/swing arm[/COLOR])
- Bud Built Front Skidplate
- Bud Built Middle Skidplate
- Bud Built Transmission & Transfer Case Skidplate
- Bud Built Rear Crossmember
- Bud Built Fuel Tank (Beefy) Skidplate
- Bud Built ARB Spacer Armor Plate
- Inchworm E-Locker Motor Skid (sustained trail damage, cut down in size to repair)
- Rear Lower Shock Skid
- Rear Trailing Link Skid
- Rear Differential Plate (welded)
- DeMello Hybrid Sliders
- Manic Tail Light Guards (Real Wheels guards took 5 trail hits -saves- then gave up the ghost)
SUSPENSION AND TIRES
- Walker Evans Beadlock Rims
- Nitto Terra Grapplers - 305/70R17
- Demello Frame Chop
- Donahoe Racing Shocks and Front Coil-Overs
- Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Rear Coil-Overs (OME-886)
- Donahoe Racing Upper Control Arms
- Light Racing Jounce Shocks (Chubbies) replacing bump-stops
- Icon Signature Lower Control Arms
- Gorilla Lugs
- Lowrance Baja 540C GPS & Freedom Maps Chip F103EX-S and F104EX-W & Shadow GPS R/V Mirror Adaptor Mount
- Man-A-Fre Auxillery (22 gal.) fuel tank
--Providing a total capacity of 40 gallons
- Wet Okole Seat Covers
- Scanguage 2
- K & N Air Filter - Replaced by OEM Air Filter
- Aux. Optima Yellow-Top Battery
- Dirty Parts Auxiliary Battery Kit
- Circuit Boss 7 Circuit Fuse Block
- 6 x REL40 40 Amp custom amber switches
- Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn
- Passenger-side arm rest
- Fuel Can Options: 2 x Wedco Jerry Cans (gas/water)
- Relocated Rear Differential & E-Locker Breather - Scuba Driver Mod.
- Fire Extinguisher
- ARB Safari Snorkel
- Death-Stalker Scorpion transfer case shift knob
- SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker
- Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter
- Antenna – 5' and 3’ Firestick/CB
- Yaesu FT-1802 M/E 2 meter transceiver (50 watts output)/HAM
- Comet 3D5M mobile mounting hardware/HAM
- Antenna - Diamond NR-770HA 2M/70CM 3/5.5dB Mobile Antenna/HAM
- Airflow Headlight Covers
- Hella Black Magic 6” Driving Lights (mounted to ARB Bumper)
- N-Fab Front Light Bar/Bracket w/3 x Acro X1870M Driving Lights & 2 x 40 B/U PIAA Flood Lights
- N-Fab Rear Light Bar/Bracket w/2 x 40 B/U PIAA Flood Lights & 1 x LEDQUAD LED Strobe Light Bar
- 2 x Oznium Flexible Super Thin (red) LED Dome Lights
- 2 x Puck (white) LED Dome Lights
- LED Red dash lights replacing white instrument gauge lights
TOOLS & TRAIL EQPT.
- Fiskars Axe
- Short Handle Shovel
- Crowbar/Pry Bar
- Eagle Talon (RJM Forge)
- Husqvarna 350 18" Chain Saw
- Jumper Cables
- Tool Kit
- JB Weld
- Spool (1000 ft) OD Green Parachute (550) Cord
- Roll(s) of 100 MPH Tape (milspec rigger's tape)
- FJC Spare Parts Kit (on extended load-out): including 2xCV Boots, 2xCV Sway Bar Links, Serpentine Belt, rear lower control arm, front axel, spare fuses, tire valves, etc.
- SCORPION MOUNT - An endoskeleton in the back to provide hard points and additional M-PAC storage.
- Pelican Cases - Allow modular load out depending on the nature of the trip.
- Fourtreks Shovel/Axe mount
- Fourtreks HiLift Jack Mount
- Fourtreks Dual Mount
- Fourtreks Fuel Can Rack Mount
- Fourtreks Modular Roll Bar Handle
- Springtail M-PAC rack and MOLLE gear
- Springtail M-PAC Side Rack
- 2 x Expeditionware Jerry Can Holders (currently one mounted)
- Power Tank Roof Rack Mount - (Custom Fab using Four Treks parts)
- 20 lbs. CO2 Auxillery Tank (Internal Mount)
- 10 lbs. CO2 Power Tank
- Ingersol Rand #2135 Ti (composite titanium) pneumatic impact gun
- Power Tank Super Coupler
- Power Tank HD Tire Inflator Handle
- Oasis Trailhead Deflator / Stebel Trailhead Deflator (both onboard)
- ARB Tire Repair Kit
- Spare valves and valve cores
- Warn XD9000 Winch
- Viking Kevlar Winch Line (100')
- Winch Safety Thimble
- Viking Delrin Fairlead Rollers
- Warn Hitch Shackle
- 30’ Rescue Strap
- 100’ of braided steel cable
- ARB Snatchblock
- Pull Pal
- 4 x 3/4 ton D-Rings
- ARB Bushranger X-Jack
- Hi-Lift Jack
- WabFab Slider Attachment
- Hi-Lift Jack Base
- Hi-Lift Jack handle keeper
- Basic Survival Kit (on standard load-out)
- Large First Responder First-Aid Kit including an adult bag/valve mask
- Smoke Grenades (pyro- red and green)
- Chemlights (red and green)
- Polish Model 78 Flare Gun (26.5 MM) with star flares
- Lensatic Compass
I have had consistently good service from these
vendors and encourage you to consider them in
your build-ups. I have not received a discount
from any of them and have no financial stake in
the outcome of your purchase.
SCORPION IN VIDEOS
FJ CRUISERS IN DEEP CREEK
BUILD-OUT HIGHLIGHTED TOPICS
(Courtesy of FJROD)
(Courtesy of POKER DAWG)
THE LATEST ADDITION(s)
DeMello swing-out bumper.
ICON lower rear control arms
(hyper-links to this thread)
LIGHT RACING JOUNCE SHOCKS
CB ANTENNA CHOICE
UPPER CONTROL ARMS & TIRE ALIGNMENT
STEBEL NATILUS AIR HORN
ARMOR AS ART
USING A SNATCHBLOCK
SEAT COVERS & TRAIL TOOL
N-FAB FRONT AND REAR LIGHT BARS
ULTIMATE SWAY BAR LINKS
LOCKING SHOVEL/AXE HOLDER
FIRST AID/FIRST RESPONDER KIT
Note that NO products produced by All Pro Offroad are used on THE SCORPION.
Meet the Scorpion - Current phase of build up/build out for my FJ.
When selecting team members everyone looks for a combination of factors in their team mates. The most important is an absolute passion for the project, an ability to communicate, a diversity of proven expedition-specific skills in remote and hostile environments, physical stamina and mental toughness. FJ Cruiser expeditions are designed first and foremost to be fun. Secondly, they hone your skill sets by forcing you into new and unfamiliar situations that requires you to adapt and overcome. Thirdly, you get to make the run in a Toyota FJ Cruiser.
"Well George, we finally knocked the [email protected] off."
– Edmund Hillary's first words, to lifelong friend George Lowe, on returning from Everest's summit
MOJAVE TRAIL EXPEDITION
(Ft. Mojave to Afton Canyon - California) October 07
MOJAVE TRAIL EXPEDITION
(Afton Canyon to Ft. Mojave - California) February 08
MOJAVE TRAIL EXPEDITION
(Ft. Mojave to Afton Canyon - California) April 08
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
KOKOPELLI TRAIL EXPEDITION
(Grand Junction, CO to Moab, UT) November 07
(Death Valley - California) March 08
Kokopelli Trail Expedition
(Grand Junction to Moab) July 08
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.