Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1337 Posts

· Registered
6,162 Posts
Re: Meet the Scorpion (Uphill's Build-Up)

Tried four times for a boy. Failed. Settled for cute girls... Photo from April 07 wedding of the oldest.

Yes and these are custom machined. Weld-on-sleeves make no sense to me.

1.5 "

9/16 "

The joints are hardened steel casings and the arms themselves are very robust. And yes, they're expensive, but I wanted to have the best I could put in place there. To spite (mostly) correct assertions that the front end of the FJ is its most vulnerable point, the LCA's and the leading edge joints take a LOT of trail damage. The All Pro armored cups that protect the front of the J/Joints have already been dented. Currie and All Pro both said that the armor is not necessary with these LCA's however, I differ and feel that the plate is just another level of protection.

In the military, the philosophy is "If it doesn't move, paint it." My philosophy with regard to the FJ is "if it's on the belly, armor it".

And plated in platinum.

Lovely young ladies....but who's the ugly bastid in the middle? :lol:

I'm sure you were into guns before you had kids, but I can certainly see why after you had daughters. I don't envy you......I'd think daughters would be harder than sons. :)

If you had a chance to look at my trail rig build thread....there's a pic of the old style JJ failing. That was the side that didn't break the 9/16" bolt. The impetus for that failure was the other side's 9/16" snapping. To be fair though.....the vehicle in question is probably 6K and was running 47" LTBs. I doubt you'll ever have any problem and with that massive shank, you should be that much more safe.

Very nice build up thread! You've definitely built a heckuva rig. Kudos to you. :)

Sean

· Registered
6,162 Posts

It Looks great buddy. Wear it proud! :D
Good to see you around again Mike. We missed ya around here the last few days. :)

Sean

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

Good to see you around again Mike. We missed ya around here the last few days. :)

Sean
Thanks Buddy...I checked out your build thread a little, I haven't had a chance to go all the way through it yet. It looks like you did a very complete job, very nice Sean. :D I've got to hit the road again in the morning to LA. I'll be back on tomorrow night. :) Just needed a little brake from it all the :silly:

· Registered
3,447 Posts

Tried four times for a boy. Failed. Settled for cute girls... Photo from April 07 wedding of the oldest.
Nice family you have there, Larry.

Let's see.....$$$$$ per wedding times 4 beautiful daughters = :eek:

Get the mods done while you can.

Glad I stopped at two.:lol:

And again, great buildup.

-Mike

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·

Get the mods done while you can.
I am ecouraging the rest to elope to save money for NECESSARY mods. Necessary is defined as anything that I think I need for the FJ.

#3 daughter's boyfriend (at my house now) will be on Showtime (signed the contract last week) doing ultimate fighting. We spar in the ring but he's a lot younger than I am and I can only win through complete treachery. He's also heavy into off-roading. I said, "what about a desert wedding? We all drive out to some summit and you can get married where the coyotes howl and the wind whistles through the rocks. I'll pack beer in an ice chest and we can BBQ some steaks and do some dutch oven cooking for the wedding party."

He said, "Hey, I'm down for that!"

#3 daughter gave me an angry look.:indifferent:

She whispered to me that IF they get married, that's not what she has in mind.

Women! Go figure??!:grinbiginvert:

· Registered
6,162 Posts

Thanks Buddy...I checked out your build thread a little, I haven't had a chance to go all the way through it yet. It looks like you did a very complete job, very nice Sean. :D I've got to hit the road again in the morning to LA. I'll be back on tomorrow night. :) Just needed a little brake from it all the :silly:
I totally understand. :)

Sean

· Registered
6,162 Posts

I am ecouraging the rest to elope to save money for NECESSARY mods. Necessary is defined as anything that I think I need for the FJ.

#3 daughter's boyfriend (at my house now) will be on Showtime (signed the contract last week) doing ultimate fighting. We spar in the ring but he's a lot younger than I am and I can only win through complete treachery. He's also heavy into off-roading. I said, "what about a desert wedding? We all drive out to some summit and you can get married where the coyotes howl and the wind whistles through the rocks. I'll pack beer in an ice chest and we can BBQ some steaks and do some dutch oven cooking for the wedding party."

Hell, I tried that with my wife.....I was trying to get her to get married on top of Lion's Back in Moab. She and her mother had other plans. Ended up in Hawaii instead. Not a bad trade. :)

Sean

· Registered
3,744 Posts

Just rember Larry.....Youth and talent are NO match for old age and treachery!:fight:

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

Just rember Larry.....Youth and talent are NO match for old age and treachery!:fight:
I thought it's more along the line of "Youth and talent are no match for experience and money. :D

· Registered
191 Posts

Larry, Tell the remaining 3 what I tell my 2, your wedding/inheritance money is sitting on the driveway. I as your father felt it prudent to enjoy myself and my $$$ before you put me in the poor house. Seriously, Larry what a great group of young ladies you and I have for daughters, couldn't ask for anything more...

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts

Lol Tom, I like that. I'll have to start programming mine while she's young.

· Registered
3,744 Posts

I thought it's more along the line of "Youth and talent are no match for experience and money. :D
That's only when building an FJ is brought into the picture. When it comes to the octagon, the other takes over!

· Registered
3,350 Posts

Had a quite an experience in Irvine today.

I saw an FJ parked that was... well, breathtaking. Tough in every proportion. Big shoes and big presence.

One thing you can tell; whoever the owner is, I sure wouldn't date one of his daughters.

Without a doubt - the meanest-looking FJ of 'em all. And it let me take pictures of it without kicking my ass.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·

Had a quite an experience in Irvine today.

I saw an FJ parked that was... well, breathtaking. Tough in every proportion. Big shoes and big presence.

I'm thinking of painting it A2A Blue. I hear that there's an overstock on the color and that Jason is arranging a discounted group buy.

Actually I'm greatful that you didn't post pictures of me getting my hair cut. Maybe I'll stick with the Titanium color.

Thanks for posting the "I spotted you pictures!"

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

I'm thinking of painting it A2A Blue. I hear that there's an overstock on the color and that Jason is arranging a discounted group buy.

Actually I'm greatful that you didn't post pictures of me getting my hair cut. Maybe I'll stick with the Titanium color.

Thanks for posting the "I spotted you pictures!"
Ok Todd, break out the pics of Larry getting a hair cut, I want to see him with that little bib:cowsmile:

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·

Every time I tried to get a picture of Larry I would get this weird error code:
2FuGly
I have been known to break cameras -- but not because of the 2FuGly error code.

J/K

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)

SCORPION'S LOAD-OUT LISTS

It's a combination of prudence and personal preferences. Your preferences will differ.

Standard Survival Load-Out

(loaded in Scorpion every day)

American Red Cross First Responder First Aid Kit
Respirator
Night Owl Explorer Pro 10x Night Vision Scope w/IR Illuminator
Flint
Water-Proof Matches
Cyalume Chem Lights (10 red/10 green)
Parachute Flare Illuminating Rockets (1 white/2 red)
Flashlight and Batteries
Magellan GPS
Plastic Tarp
2 x Severe Duty Water Filtration Units
100’ Parachute Cord
Rigger’s Tape
Military Lensatic Compass
Bushnell 20x50 Binoculars
Knive(s)
Firearm(s)
3 Days of Rations and Water for one.

Standard Camping Load-Out

(Over-night or Expedition Basic)

North Face VE25 Expedition Tent (Summit Series)
North Face Nebula Sleeping Bag(s)
Folding Camp Chair(s)
Coleman Quickbed/Pump
Coleman Roadtrip Grill/Propane Cylinder(s)
North Face Summit Series Jacket Shell with Medium Duty Liner(s)
Cooking Kit (pans/utensils)
Toilet Supplies/Personal Care
(Does not include personal clothing)

Standard Tool Load-Out

(Loaded in Scorpion every day)

List in Progress

[/IMG]

101 - 120 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.