Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1321 - 1337 of 1337 Posts

· Premium Member
4,354 Posts

The Old Whore: A Novel of Cartel Wars

Should be out in Kindle in about two weeks. It's a sequel to Bloody Mexico. In the Central Intelligence Agency’s lingua franca, an ‘old whore’ is someone who will do anything for The Agency (and for his country) regardless of what it is and irrespective of the cost.

The Black Scorpions is a sequel to White Powder and will be out this fall on Kindle.

I'll put it out on the forum when the work is available for download. I don't think that it's going to come out in paperback until after the first of the year.
Nice. Thanks for the update :clap:

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,323 · (Edited)
I read the Old Whore a year or so back on Kindle. I thought there was another one after that?
King of the Mountain is coming after The Old Whore. It's in progress. King of the Mountain is "based on a true story" and though the characters have been changed, it is a sequel to Bloody Mexico and The Old Whore. You see more of the SEAL Teams, a lot more of Darrell Slater, etc.

I had The Old Whore pulled and re-edited. The changes are not particularly significant. But it was off the shelf for a while. Since I work in Mexico, I haven't had the time to write that I'd prefer to have.

The Old Whore will be available on Kindle as of September 1, 2012 in its final edited glory...

HINT -- Writing POSITIVE reviews of my work on Amazon.com is very appreciated.

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Thanks for the update! I was wondering what happened to it but regardless, these "novels" are great reads and we all look forward to the next chapters.

King of the Mountain is coming after The Old Whore. It's in progress. King of the Mountain is "based on a true story" and though the characters have been changed, it is a sequel to Bloody Mexico and The Old Whore. You see more of the SEAL Teams, a lot more of Darrell Slater, etc.

I had The Old Whore pulled and re-edited. The changes are not particularly significant. But it was off the shelf for a while. Since I work in Mexico, I haven't had the time to write that I'd prefer to have.

The Old Whore will be available on Kindle as of September 1, 2012 in its final edited glory...

HINT -- Writing POSITIVE reviews of my work on Amazon.com is very appreciated.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,326 · (Edited)

THE BLACK SCORIONS: OUTSOURCED WAR is the latest of my publishing ventures. It's a series of Novellas (about 100 pages each) that constitute a sequel to WHITE POWDER: A NOVEL OF THE CIA AND THE SECRET WAR IN LAOS

The Novel, White Powder, transported readers to the CIA’s Secret War in Laos circa 1961, in an environment where drug empires and governments collided. Fifty years have passed, and the more things change, the more they remain the same. Welcome to the world of the THE BLACK SCORPIONS, the second book in the Secret War Series, presented in five parts.

BLACK SCORPIONS 1 – Outsourced War
BLACK SCORPIONS 2 – Electric Butterknife
BLACK SCORPIONS 3 – Reclining Buddha
BLACK SCORPIONS 4 – Catching Rain in a Net
BLACK SCORPIONS 5 – Dangerous Men

The second installment in the series, Electric Butterknife, will be released in February 2013. The cost on Kindle per installment is $2.99. After they have each been published digitally, they will be bound and released on paper. That won't likely happen until the end of 2014.

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Awesome! Going with the Kindle edition.

THE BLACK SCORIONS: OUTSOURCED WAR is the latest of my publishing ventures. It's a series of Novellas (about 100 pages each) that constitute a sequel to WHITE POWDER: A NOVEL OF THE CIA AND THE SECRET WAR IN LAOS

The Novel, White Powder, transported readers to the CIA’s Secret War in Laos circa 1961, in an environment where drug empires and governments collided. Fifty years have passed, and the more things change, the more they remain the same. Welcome to the world of the THE BLACK SCORPIONS, the second book in the Secret War Series, presented in five parts.

BLACK SCORPIONS 1 – Outsourced War
BLACK SCORPIONS 2 – Electric Butterknife
BLACK SCORPIONS 3 – Reclining Buddha
BLACK SCORPIONS 4 – Catching Rain in a Net
BLACK SCORPIONS 5 – Dangerous Men

The second installment in the series, Electric Butterknife, will be released in February 2013. The cost on Kindle per installment is $2.99. After they have each been published digitally, they will be bound and released on paper. That won't likely happen until the end of 2014.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,328 ·

The La Sal Range.

Dead Horse Point and the Shaffer Trail down to the Colorado River.

Broken Arrow Traill (Sedona, AZ)

Southern Utah near Vermillion Cliffs/Kanab area

The Scorpion still rides!

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,330 ·
The rig is now almost 7 years old. There are a firsts today in terms of maintenance that I'm doing. I don't know if anyone reads this build-up thread, but if you do, it may be interesting.

(1) New front brake pads. They finally need to be replaced for the first time. I had hopes that they'd last another three or so years, but it was not to be.

(2) Tie Rod Ends (both inner and outer) at a cost at OEM of $411 per set. They've been banged around a lot and while I replaced the outers before, this is my first shot at replacing the inners.

(3) MAN-A-FRE Aux. fuel tank. The filler tube leaks when using the California emission system vapor recovery set ups on gas pump nozzles. I don't have problems with pumps in Nevada or Arizona -- so it's a California thing. But it also underscores a potential problem with the filler neck. I've been beating the truck off with some heavy driving and I think that something broke loose. I don't know what that something is because I'm having that work done for me. But it's a problem.

(4) I've replaced both rear differential seals and from discussions with others, that is something that usually fails at about this time in the FJ's life. They're really only a Toyota rubber band/gasket, but when they fail, it is messy and potentially problematic if you let them go.

· Registered
2,554 Posts
larry rig is still lookin great!

· Registered
127 Posts
The Scorpion build thread was a wealth of knowledge when building my FJ although mine is not nearly as extreme. I appreciate all the testing, time and effort you put into your thread. It has saved me a ton of research time, trial and error, money and provided some very interesting reading. I hope to get the time to drive some of the trails you've experienced some day.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,336 ·

Is it possible to make an FJ Cruiser even better off-road? Perhaps with the latest in UAV technology. I've been working on a better way to spot my rig as I roll over rough terrain. A camera on the front helps, but it's better if I can see things from the point of view of the spotter.

No matter how good the spotter is, they aren't going to be as good as I am when I'm combining their point of view with my view from the driver's seat.

Ashima Devices is a company owned by both Mark Richardson (MIR207), crazy FJC driver, and me. We're trying to up the UAV game by using ducted fans (electrically powered jet engines) instead of the frail and temperamental helicopter style UAV's. Ours don't get hung up on brush, trees, etc. and are finger safe.

· Wanderlust
4,418 Posts
Kudos for thinking outside the box with the use of ducted fans instead of blades. Live camera downlink feed would be a very useful application for "self-spotting" (a different kind of selfy :)). It won't be long before the FAA will have to grant licenses to fly commercial UAVs. Best of luck always, Larry and Mark. :cheers:

1321 - 1337 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.