Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
161 - 180 of 1337 Posts

· FJ Expeditions R Us
4,242 Posts
Re: Meet the Scorpion (Uphill's Build-Up)

Larry, You are indeed 'da man! Followed closely by Mike and others.

The off-road multi-purpose tool is a "boyfriend behavior modification device" if I ever saw one!

Keep up the great work!

dale

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·

· Premium Member
4,674 Posts

that trunk monkey commercial was great. i bet you had one for all your daughters, huh larry? :D

· Registered
169 Posts

Uphill, Great write up and the FJ looks awesome. I also have 4 daughters and two sons so I can relate to the FJ as a getaway toy. Its funny but this is my daughter Emily and I think we need to keep these two Emiliy's away from each other. LOL

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·

Its funny but this is my daughter Emily and I think we need to keep these two Emiliy's away from each other. LOL

I agree that for the sake of free men in a free country remaining free -- my Emilie and your Emily MUST NEVER MEET to compare notes.

Women in general are evil, but Emilie and Emily seem just plain dangerous!

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·

Uphill, your daughters are stunning! Even better looking than your fine truck. :)
In all modesty, I have to admit that they get their looks from my side of the family. :silly:

· Registered
3,447 Posts

In all modesty, I have to admit that they get their looks from my side of the family. :silly:
Didn't you mention once that you were adopted?

:D j/k Larry. You've done very well both with your truck and family.

· Registered
4,508 Posts

I want to guess Italian??

did you see my edit?... The wedding fund is going to eat into your mod fund. :grinbiginvert: Well, unless they are smart and eat at your account for college instead of the dreaded MARRIAGE. :lol:

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)

Didn't you mention once that you were adopted?
It's a bit more complicated than that. I was born on the alien planet Krypton, before being rocketed to Earth as an infant by my scientist father, Jorell, moments before the planet's destruction.

I was adopted and raised by a Kansas farmer and his wife and imbued with a strong moral compass. Upon reaching maturity I developed superhuman abilities, resolving to use these for the benefit of humanity. And I chose the SuperRig (an FJ) in the process.

The muscles in this rendering are slightly under-stated but that aside, its an accurate rendering.

· Registered
3,447 Posts

It's a bit more complicated than that. I was born on the alien planet Krypton, before being rocketed to Earth as an infant by my scientist father, Jorell, moments before the planet's destruction.

I was adopted and raised by a Kansas farmer and his wife and imbued with a strong moral compass. Upon reaching maturity I developed superhuman abilities, resolving to use these for the benefit of humanity. And I chose the SuperRig (an FJ) in the process.

:lol: :lol: Now this inspires me to look for and catch up on that OTHER thread.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 · (Edited)

MUDLOVINGFJ's & WRIGMAN's PHOTOS OF THE SCORPION
at the Jeepers going-away run and pizza party
(for his third deployment to Iraq)
September 29 - Cleghorn Trail, California​

· Registered
5,343 Posts

How close to the wall did you get? I love that one trail where your ear is almost touching the ground. Your rig is looking great. I like those rims. I have a rental right now. My Atrac and Rear locker stopped yesterday right before I was going to rip up blowsand. I was bummed. I'll get it back soon I hope. I love Toyota of El Cajon. They didn't read me the riot act for any of my modifications and provided me a rental car FOC.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·

How close to the wall did you get? I love that one trail where your ear is almost touching the ground.
:worried: I wimped on it. I have body carnage from the last time I tried it. The strange thing about that obstacle is that sometimes you make it and sometimes you don't. An H-2 (wide sucker) made it through without a scratch as did Highbeams. A 4-Runner had damage from the front bumper along the side to the rear bumper. I've made it several times without damage but didn't take that bypass this time. And if you call me a tame cat for not doing it this time, my only excuse is that you are what you eat.:thefinger:

I did take that nasty bypass (the second one) and not many others went that way with me.:banana_hitit:

· Registered
5,343 Posts

:worried: I wimped on it. I have body carnage from the last time I tried it. The strange thing about that obstacle is that sometimes you make it and sometimes you don't. An H-2 (wide sucker) made it through without a scratch as did Highbeams. A 4-Runner had damage from the front bumper along the side to the rear bumper. I've made it several times without damage but didn't take that bypass this time. And if you call me a tame cat for not doing it this time, my only excuse is that you are what you eat.:thefinger:

I did take that nasty bypass (the second one) and not many others went that way with me.:banana_hitit:
That one is a pucker route for sure. I wouldn't dream of ever telling a driver that they wimped out. I've done it (wimped out if you will). It shows that you are aware of your comfort level and you're a more experienced wheeler. I chose not to go up a trail in Big Bear for the same reason. I just didn't feel comfortable and I felt my rig was underprepared (no tranny skid) for the rock garden.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·

I wouldn't dream of ever telling a driver that they wimped out.
And I didn't take it that way at all. It was my way of clowning around. No, I won't go somewhere if I think I stand a solid chance of carnage. I just like my FJ too much - maybe a fault?

Time to buy something old and beat up? ;)

I'm in the early part of the process of building a rock crawler from scratch doing everything myself. I mentioned it in another thread. SEAN K's advice has been most helpful. I REALLY love driving my FJ, but there are places that you just can't take them without laying considerable carnage on them because of the nature of the terrain and design limitations to the FJ. I will make the crawler competition-ready but don't think I'll ever actually compete in it. Just crawl up cliffs and water falls and over boulders in it :bananahump-slvrathl :rocket:!!!

(Just one more toy!)

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts

Superman needs to have a capable rig to go anywhere! I think it will fit you ike a glove buddy :D

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·

15,000 Miles - And Still Loving it!

The Scorpion's clock just passed 15K. None of it is commuting mileage - almost 100% play miles in 9 months. That is a LOT of playing. I still love the rig and have enjoyed it to the max.

161 - 180 of 1337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.