Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I offroad in Southern California. I have been through 3 warenteed alternators in the last 1.5 years of owning my truck. Each time, with the exact same obvious alternator symptoms of no recharge on the battery and all cables being connected. The manager told me that he can't warantee my truck anymore because its my fault that they are going down. The problem is dirt, mud, sand, and ultimantly snow melting the aforementioned into the alternator. The dealer initially told me to power-wash the engine compartment and belts after every adventure. That didn't work, and 6 months later I was back in with the same problem. The next time they told me it was because my snorkel gave my truck false confidence, and that it wasn't designed to work in water. Now, no more waranty:boohoo:, and they told me to modify my lifestyle to include no mud and no water crossing. Has anybody heard of a way to waterproof without having the alternator catch in flames from overheating? Any advice on general waterproofing?:mecry:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Rebuild the alt. as per the link provided by Bandi and use dielectric grease to keep water out of the parts that fail.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
220 Posts
silty muddy water will ruin an alternator, i know from experience. oh , and change your diff fluids after the deep water crossings or after a long time stuck in watery mud if you dont kave the scuba mod for the rear diff. i sadly also know from experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts