Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Toyota Care, and extended warranty are two VERY different things.

Toyota Care is what you have for the first two years....

Extended warranty (I am assuming that's what you are talking about) is an extension of your warranty, based on what plan you got.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyota Care, and extended warranty are two VERY different things.

Toyota Care is what you have for the first two years....

Extended warranty (I am assuming that's what you are talking about) is an extension of your warranty, based on what plan you got.
It was a deal that extended the Toyota Care out for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
The maintenance plan IMO is weak and if I had to pay for it... well, I wouldnt. The first 5k interval was a total joke. Literally only rotated the tires. They did NOTHING else. Lame. I prefer to do my own maintenance anyways for peace of mind thats its done right.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The maintenance plan IMO is weak and if I had to pay for it... well, I wouldnt. The first 5k interval was a total joke. Literally only rotated the tires. They did NOTHING else. Lame. I prefer to do my own maintenance anyways for peace of mind thats its done right.
If that's the case, I'll be watching them like a hawk when I do that first service.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have to agree here. At 5k, they do a brief checklist, no rotation since I have my snow tires on, and gave you back the keys. You basically will get two oil changes, a few tire rotations, and maybe an air and cabin filter out of them if you drive enough miles in the first two years. Great advertising deal. A small savings for the owner....not complaining; however, it is just not that big of a deal when you look at what they really do.

We looked at the 5 yr extended service plan (NOT the extended warranty...) and I did the math. Turned em down cold, since what you get didn't add up (at least for me) to what you paid.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree here. At 5k, they do a brief checklist, no rotation since I have my snow tires on, and gave you back the keys. You basically will get two oil changes, a few tire rotations, and maybe an air and cabin filter out of them if you drive enough miles in the first two years. Great advertising deal. A small savings for the owner....not complaining; however, it is just not that big of a deal when you look at what they really do.

We looked at the 5 yr extended service plan (NOT the extended warranty...) and I did the math. Turned em down cold, since what you get didn't add up (at least for me) to what you paid.
Thanks for the info. I'llbe that customer that they hate. Every vehicle I have ever owned, I "knew" from front to back. I'll make sure they don't miss anything. The 5 year service plan was really, really cheap. I didn't get that until the next day when I noticed that the mileage they put on the bill of sale was the trip meter and my FJ actually had 190 miles on it. The service package was part of the "make Nick happy" plan. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
every 5k or 6 months mine gets rooled into the dealership... They have done a awesome job so far on doing what they are supposed to do. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I have to say I'm very thankful I got the extended aka Platinum warranty. It's saved my arse thousands... as for the maitenance plan, eventually the coupons run out, and you have to start paying for oil changes again, totally lame :rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am at 4975 miles as of this moment and I am debating what to do. I really do not want my tires rotated, so it seems there is no point in going in to a dealer. But then I worry that if I do not show up it will somehow come back to haunt me if something should go wrong in the next few thousand miles....

How much do dealers charge for oil changes? I was going to do it myself at 6-7K but it is so cold right now that maybe I should just let them do it early and get it over with...

I do want to have some of the options changed anyway (i.e. turn off door lock chime, make one push on the remote unlock all doors, etc).

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
about $30 unless you get an air filter, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Really? - I would not bother changing it myself for $30, but I think I need to have the 0-20 synthetic, so I imagine it must be more than that for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a 2010. So oil changes are scheduled for every 10k. However, if used in dirty conditions, towing, or carrying a roof top carrier the oil is supposed to be changed every 5k. So, what will the dealer do when I roll in at 5k with my coupon and a roof top tent? Warranty service requires an oil change under those conditions, will they make me pay for it?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
depends on how quickly you use up the coupons I imagine..

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have seen several people mention coupons, but I did not receive any, so I also wonder if they will change the oil if I tell them I only drive 5 miles at a clip back and forth to work??? Maybe I should tow something in too!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Yeah I never got the coupon book either... but the dealership kept record of how many services, and what I had done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts