Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this kind of thing isn't everybody's style, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I'm a bit strapped for cash, but was a bit dissatisfied with the rear bumper and smashing my tail pipe into the ground all the time... the solution? only the most ULTIMATE rear bumper mod. ever.

Time: a couple of hours
Cost: free

Basically I just tore everything off the truck; rear bumper, and all fender flares. What's under the plastic on the side of the truck in the rear looks really nasty and isn't clear-coat like the rest of the body, so I painted it flat black.

Here's how it looks:

I dare anyone to find more clearance back there. I DARE you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 4/7/2008

Time has proven this to be one of the best things I've done to my FJ. It remains - you CAN'T beat this in terms of cost, weight, or clearance!

Add to that list now, durability. As I step up the difficulty of trails I run, the dimensions of my rig are quickly being exceeded. Grinding the rear bumper across the ground or dropping off a ledge and smashing the corner are commonplace. The rear of the frame plenty beefy to act as a slider.

It's so empowering to not have to care... there is no way this is going to break:

Here are some more pics of the ULTIMATE rear bumper mod...

Exploring mountains...

The chute...

Here you can see the mark in the sand where the frame dug in...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Ummmmmmm.............looks like it is worth every penny you paid for it

To each his own

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Okay... on one hand - looks like your bumper fell off.
On the other hand, maybe you're onto something here... If you (or someone) could fab' something to cover the corners; then if you bolted on a CJ-style "rock crawler" bumper (straight, tapered ends)... hmmm...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Do you plan to leave it like that as the ultimate solution?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
2 words- ghe tto

·
Registered
289 Posts
weld an iron pipe acrost it!! and paint it flat black

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I'm glad you like it. However I will continue my search for self expression.:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
A little spray foam, duct tape and paint will hide the ghetto.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
KEWL! reminds me of the guy hanging outside the local 7-11 with no pants on asking for change.

Score!

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man, you guys are letting me down... I thought I was gonna get made fun of a lot more than this!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

To me this truck is purely about performance runnin out in the desert and on the trail. Now it happens to be my daily driver as well, so there are a few things I'd like to do that I won't do (like rip out the interior and ditch the doors)...

But let's look at what I've done here: for no money I've gained the greatest possible clearance for the rear (I sawz-all'd the exhaust pipe short) at the cost of what... clean looks? Like I said, it's not for everybody, but I'll take it.

My ultimate goal is having a 'truggy'... so maybe down the road it will fit in better. :)

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Nice.

Whatcha got planned for the front? More of the same?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nice.

Whatcha got planned for the front? More of the same?
Good question. I would love to do the same in the front, but that's obviously not a good idea due to the inevitable catastrophic radiator damage. Up front I have a Desert Armor bumper which will eventually house a winch and some lights.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts