So what was causing this?1. Yep, been mine since mid-2006. Wife granny drives it once in a while.
2. 500km for break in, 5000km up to about 80,000km, am currently going 10,000km between changes because a couple analysis samples showed the Amsoil could take it (they claim 15,000km... I'm not that brave).
3. 5W-30 until it started making noise, then I switched to 10W-30. Didn't help.
4. Castrol GTX dino oil up to 10,000km, Amsoil synthetic since. In 2006 the FJ's came with Dino oil from the factory.
5. MT6. I've had it to the redline once or twice in the past on hard pulls. Might have pegged the limiter once, but never an over rev from a downshift.
6. The clacking is normally only on start up. If you read the post above where I pull the EFI relay and crank until the oil light goes out, there is no clacking at all. The clacking at idle (only has happened a few times now) is new.