Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Yep, been mine since mid-2006. Wife granny drives it once in a while.
2. 500km for break in, 5000km up to about 80,000km, am currently going 10,000km between changes because a couple analysis samples showed the Amsoil could take it (they claim 15,000km... I'm not that brave).
3. 5W-30 until it started making noise, then I switched to 10W-30. Didn't help.
4. Castrol GTX dino oil up to 10,000km, Amsoil synthetic since. In 2006 the FJ's came with Dino oil from the factory.
5. MT6. I've had it to the redline once or twice in the past on hard pulls. Might have pegged the limiter once, but never an over rev from a downshift.
6. The clacking is normally only on start up. If you read the post above where I pull the EFI relay and crank until the oil light goes out, there is no clacking at all. The clacking at idle (only has happened a few times now) is new.
So what was causing this?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So what was causing this?
FJ is in storage... haven't fixed it yet.

Now I have to re-locate across the country for work, so I have to fix it pretty damn quick.

I'm going to start by pulling and inspecting the oil control valves. After that I'll pull the actual cam timing actuator. I gotta get home first... probably out for another month or so.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well I haven't done anything about it yet, but I think I will now have to:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154956283225594

Check out the video with sound on. Brutal.
It's the lock pins!

I need new VVT-i cam gears.

$600 and some wrenching... now I just gotta find $600 under the couch cushions! I don't drive the FJ much these days, and if I tell my wife I want another $600 to fix it she will strengthen her argument to sell it and get something more fuel efficient.

I don't want fuel efficient... I want my FJ!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not yet... I don't have the spare cash for the new cam gears, nor am I home long enough to rip into the engine for now. I travel all across Canada for work and haven't been driving the FJ much lately.

Hoping to fix this around Christmas, when I have more time at home. I'm home now for a whopping 9 days, all of which are packed right full.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Rav4 V6 that started developing the rattle after about 4years. The rattle only happens at cold start up, and was very annoying as the rattle was really loud and sounded like the engine was about to fall apart.

Then I had a water pump replaced and the noise went away...for a little while then came back just as before.

Toyota wanted to charge me $3k - $4k to fix by replacing the VVTi system.

Now I have fixed the problem for $10 and the engine hasn't rattled once since! at cold or warm start up, even after leaving the car parked for long periods (2 weeks) whilst being away on holidays.

The fix!! buy a bottle of Nulon oil additive add it as directed. Note it won't fix the rattle straight away, I think my engine stopped rattling after 2 weeks of driving. Whatever its done i'm not sure but the rattle has gone and that's all that matters as the pins are now not slowly wearing out before they engage.

Try it, it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I have a 2006 Rav4 V6 that started developing the rattle after about 4years. The rattle only happens at cold start up, and was very annoying as the rattle was really loud and sounded like the engine was about to fall apart.

Then I had a water pump replaced and the noise went away...for a little while then came back just as before.

Now I have fixed the problem for $10 and the engine hasn't rattled once since! at cold or warm start up, even after leaving the car parked for long periods (2 weeks) whilst being away on holidays.

The fix!! buy a bottle of Nulon oil additive add it as directed. Note it won't fix the rattle straight away, I think my engine stopped rattling after 2 weeks of driving. Whatever its done i'm not sure but the rattle has gone and that's all that matters as the pins are now not slowly wearing out before they engage.

Wow. Great first post. You are nucking phuts. But still, a great first post. >:D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nulon is from down under. Maybe Baz used it before. We know those Aussies are nucking phuts :p

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Wow. Great first post. You are nucking phuts. But still, a great first post. >:D
I apologize for being such a skeptic, but throwing plastic (PTFE) in my engine is not the solution for me.

My thoughts:

When a steel pin is worn in the industries I work in, we replace the pin. We certainly do not coat them in plastic.

PTFE DOES have a low coefficient of friction, but it takes some work to get it to stick to pots and pans, my rims, etc.

Ideally, there is no metal to metal contact in an engine, because everything is riding on a coating of oil (see hydrodynamic bearings, although the pins may be more hydrostatic in reality). Cold, dry starts? Maybe.

Pins are so worn, at a low low idle at full operating temp, they rattle. This would have to be one hell of a plastic coating to fix this kind of wear, but as I already said, I don't want plastic in my engine.

I don't understand how a water pump would fix a worn metal pin either.

If I was going to use an additive, it would be an FAA certified one, like CamGuard.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
Nulon is from down under. Maybe Baz used it before. We know those Aussies are nucking phuts :p
G'day Grill,
yes we are nucking phuts..... :rofl: our convict heritage see's to that !!!!

and I have used Nulon in the past for engine and diff oil changes....
good product, but not as a wear coating as above.... :rofl:
nor would I ....
well not on my FJ .... :rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I to have just had the death rattle. I have a 2008 fj I have an issue with where I cant get ridd of the code easily. I replaceds the cam sensors, crank sensor, and cleaned the OCV valves. Nothing cleared the code. I did notice some engione gunk when i cleaned and replaced the sensors. the fj ran fine other than a little rough at idle.
So i figured, from what I've read that the time must have jumped a tooth. Dreading that being the case I started researching the process.
Next my FJ started makingthe death rattle.The sound was coming from the valve covers. I added some engine cleaner to the engine ran for 5 minutes the changed the oil. Death rattle went away. cleared the code again but code came instantly back. the next day so did the death rattle.
I took off the the chain tensioner cover notice some gunk build up and felt in side with my fingers and pulled out a piece of metal. After pulling the vale covers of I discoverd the death rattle was a piece of the vvt-i acuator I think is what its called. It was the piece that the sensor reads.The metal was rattling around making the noise. I also found a crazy amount of gunk built up in both cam areas.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I to have just had the death rattle. I have a 2008 fj I have an issue with where I cant get ridd of the code easily. I replaceds the cam sensors, crank sensor, and cleaned the OCV valves. Nothing cleared the code. I did notice some engione gunk when i cleaned and replaced the sensors. the fj ran fine other than a little rough at idle.
So i figured, from what I've read that the time must have jumped a tooth. Dreading that being the case I started researching the process.
Next my FJ started makingthe death rattle.The sound was coming from the valve covers. I added some engine cleaner to the engine ran for 5 minutes the changed the oil. Death rattle went away. cleared the code again but code came instantly back. the next day so did the death rattle.
I took off the the chain tensioner cover notice some gunk build up and felt in side with my fingers and pulled out a piece of metal. After pulling the vale covers of I discoverd the death rattle was a piece of the vvt-i acuator I think is what its called. It was the piece that the sensor reads.The metal was rattling around making the noise. I also found a crazy amount of gunk built up in both cam areas.
This sounds like what I expect to find. I am now experiencing a P0022 code as of yesterday too. Keep clearing it, keeps coming back.

It might be time for me to stop limping this and time to fix it... I just need a little more cash for parts and I'll have to take a few days off work.

Thanks for sharing this!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just ordered all the parts for this.

Once I get this done I'll be looking to rebuild the front end with new bushings, probably UCA's and new coil-overs, new hubs (bearings), and brakes all around.

10 year old FJ needs some loving and fixing!

I'm planning to make a video of the tear down for the timing chain and I'm doing the drive belt and pulleys at the same time too.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Oh gee is this what I have to look forward to!
Damn there goes my rife build

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just ordered all the parts for this.

Once I get this done I'll be looking to rebuild the front end with new bushings, probably UCA's and new coil-overs, new hubs (bearings), and brakes all around.

10 year old FJ needs some loving and fixing!

I'm planning to make a video of the tear down for the timing chain and I'm doing the drive belt and pulleys at the same time too.
So what exactly are you gonna replace?
A part list would be nice:smile

thanks!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts