1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a recent picture of Yankee Boy Basin up near Ouray:

Discussion Forums

Scroll to the bottom.

Snow is melting fast around here, but apparently not fast enough! C'mon sun!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
That is frickin' cool. I can't wait. Wish Black Bear would be open... c'mon global warming!!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I need to put the "tracks" on the FJ instead of the 35's...

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I feel as though Al Gore boned me.

He promised global warming. I thought, "great idea -- it will make for an awesome Summit".

If we do Black Bear it will be like driving through a snow tube for 3 hours. Like driving through the inside of a giant ping-pong ball.

Thanks Al.:boohoo:

·
Registered
452 Posts

this was last year at Black Bear Pass...I'm sure there'll be more this year due to a better winter and the lack of warmth...BRING CHAINS!!! in one of the routes last year there was an FJ that had to be retrived from a trail which had snow on it.

the Telluride Race Team had an event on a glacier and kinda cool to see the course as we wheeled by it.

it'll be a bummer if BB Pass will be closed due to snow:mecry:

oh well, there's other trails:clap:

·
Registered
565 Posts
So given that the trail i ran today still had 5 foot drifts on it, on the south side of the mountain, there will most certainly be snow up there still. The trails peak between 11,000 and 13,100. The only thing that we can hope is that NFS digs them out, but plan on there being snow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
stupid question: does snow like that "cave in"? I feel caustrophobic just looking at the pic!
Usually it's when heavier snow is layered on top of a lighter/softer snowpack. The stuff in that shot looks a lot like what we call Sierra Cement. Heavy, wet snow, rather than powder. But there's really no telling until you're there.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I hope it starts melting soon....:(

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Pack yer tire chains.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I'll be skinny dipping in the Hot Springs Pool :D

....meaning I'll have it all to myself :lol:
That will be almost like **** Creek :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
stupid question: does snow like that "cave in"? I feel caustrophobic just looking at the pic!
hehe, that should really be no concern to you as you'll be sittin' up higher than the snow banks in your Fj.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts