Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just finished reading about the t-stat causing horrible mpg's... i am on my way to purchase a new one and i need to know if i can get away with buying only the t-stat or do i have to get the t-stat/ neck combo that is $40 more?

marc

·
Registered
122 Posts
ande,
You won't need the housing unless there is something wrong with it, like it's leaking (cracked) or corroded badly. Make sure you find out if the T-stat comes with a new gasket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You definitely need the housing as the thermostat is molded to it, its plastic. I just did this and even after calling the thermostat manufacturer who said that I could just replace the thermostat once I got it apart they were wrong! I got the complete housing with thermostat and gasket from my local dealer for $43. Waiting to check my mileage but I never got the mileage reported, 300 mpg a tank, anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
so i just finished reading about the t-stat causing horrible mpg's... i am on my way to purchase a new one and i need to know if i can get away with buying only the t-stat or do i have to get the t-stat/ neck combo that is $40 more?

marc
I am pretty sure you are referring to the thread that the guy that has the supercharger made.

First off, what MPGs are you getting and what mods do you have.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I see now that it says to install the thermostat WITH inlet housing. Well that makes the decision a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
My dealer raped me for $57.28 for the thermostat (#16031-0P010) and $26.49 for 1 gal of the special pink Toyota coolant mix (#00272-SLLC2).

I tried to order through Lexuspartsdude(Chris), but he doesn't answer his PM's... at least not mine.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Chris is away and should be back by the end of the month or beginning of the next month.

To OP, can you borrow scan gauge from someone and see if thermostat is the issue? It is a solution for those who has the problem, but maybe you don`t. Just saying :)

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
are you switching to a lower temp stat, or are these stats known for seizing up?
No, stock temp, only one available that I know of. They don't seize up, but they don't maintain a high enough temp. They keep the engine cool and the ECM in enrichment mode leading to poor mpgs.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
961 Posts
So what is the rated temp supposed to be?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
No, stock temp, only one available that I know of. They don't seize up, but they don't maintain a high enough temp. They keep the engine cool and the ECM in enrichment mode leading to poor mpgs.

DEWFPO
i'm curious if this is also leading to my poor milage. i cant hardly get 15 mpg average. i get 180-200 miles between refueling. pretty stock again. front end is up a bit and i'm on 285/65/18s. doesnt add up to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just replaced the thermosthat and it fixed all the problems I had. Bad fuel mileage, poor shifting the whole thing. It's been less than a week an the thermosthat failed again. Does anyone know why that might happen? It's broken open.. Again...

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
What "SHOULD" temps be running at??

My mileage just took a MAJOR dip from 21 to about 14 in the last month...

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
What "SHOULD" temps be running at??

My mileage just took a MAJOR dip from 21 to about 14 in the last month...
Mine ran a steady 186* just about year round. When the temps in the summer were 100*+, it would sometimes average 190.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Check second page of this section great write up about the problem. The temp is supposed to be 180 to 185. The thermostats are weak and end up running wide open keeps motor at 150 and below. Which cause computer to dump fuel to warm motor up all the time. Has caused cats to go bad early and a deep tone to stock exhaust which is fuel burning off in cats. I changed mine went from getting 200 miles a tank back to 300 or do. (18.2mpg) driving all interstate like a grandma. Above poster with broke thermostat you must have got a bad one from factory with crack in housing or something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
so this is a $40 plus replacement ? my gauge is right in the middle and I get around 15 to 16 mpg, will a hand held lazer thermometer give a close to accurate reading of actual fluid temp if I read it off the rad top case ??
Where do I get one of those all in one digital gauge thingges ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dealer raped me for $57.28 for the thermostat (#16031-0P010) and $26.49 for 1 gal of the special pink Toyota coolant mix (#00272-SLLC2).

I tried to order through Lexuspartsdude(Chris), but he doesn't answer his PM's... at least not mine.
Was this Beaverton Toy ?, I work a couple miles from there (swoosh)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts