Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hmm... my mother, sister, and aunt all have those fancy embroidery machines. I'll start taking orders now for Trails Team bags at $75 each. :rofl:

Jumbo Mil.-Style Mechanic's Bag, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

EDIT: BCutshaw shared a link for some very similar bags, with more size options. These are inexpensive as well.
http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=military-gear-bags

sinerasis shared a link for the Harbor Freight bags, which I've tried to by a bunch of times when they go on sale only to find them out of stock each time in my local store. :lol:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-canvas-tool-bag-32282.html

MODERATORS: I'm not really selling anything, so don't kill this thread.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
black would be fine, just embroider it with a dark gray.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Those bags are great. You can get other variations that have different
pocket set ups too.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
most surplus shops have piles of these. And screw embroidery, I'd use this and save even more money!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
MODERATORS: I'm not really selling anything, so don't kill this thread.
I think i might close it just for that :)
Ha.

Unless you own or work for sportmansguide whatever .com, you can post whatever you want from there. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^Hey now, I think Mike is on to something!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for the link. I used to use a large hard sided container. Smaller soft side bags work much better for me. Gear is now divided up into several soft sided bags for: recovery, tools, first aid, bug out bag, etc. Each bag has a content label on the outside. Easy to lift out and take to where they are needed. All ideas from reading the forum:clap:.

fyi: black is out of stock, will be avail March 9,2011.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^Oh no! Layton would cry. He is a 12 year old asian girl, after all. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
black would be fine, just embroider it with a dark gray.
I tried to order some tonight and it seems they are all out of stock. I guess that's what happens when they are posted on a site like this.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The Trail Team bags are just O.K. I have 4 of them and one that I carry some of the recovery tools is already splitting at the seams. Can't beat the price though (free)!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Trail Team bags are just O.K. I have 4 of them and one that I carry some of the recovery tools is already splitting at the seams. Can't beat the price though (free)!
Yep, mine was free too. :bigthumb: I have tools in it. But I also currently have a 30'x4" strap, several shackles, a snatch block, a LiftMate, and the end piece off my Hi-Lift in one of those tiny black Craftsman bags. :lol: It takes some doing to get everything in there and get it zipped up.

How have you been? It's been nearly two years since I rode with you guys out in Big Bear. Are you guys still taking care of 2N06X? I need to head back out to SoCal again one of these days.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yep, mine was free too. :bigthumb: I have tools in it. But I also currently have a 30'x4" strap, several shackles, a snatch block, a LiftMate, and the end piece off my Hi-Lift in one of those tiny black Craftsman bags. :lol: It takes some doing to get everything in there and get it zipped up.

How have you been? It's been nearly two years since I rode with you guys out in Big Bear. Are you guys still taking care of 2N06X? I need to head back out to SoCal again one of these days.
We're doing good. Trail is still closed due to the amount of trees that need to hauled out. There's a strong push to get that done by this Summer... We'll see. We're really glad to have you with us last time, I hope you enjoyed it :). Love your avatar btw!

I like the brown bag in the picture below. It's much bigger and easily many times stronger then the Trail Team bags. It can hold all the chains and not break a sweat. I've put over 100lbs of stuff in there before. Not recommended though, it's too heavy to lift! :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a surplus place local to me (35 miles) I visit once in a while. It's Coleman's Surplus. They also have a web site. They have loads of mil surplus "junk" and will ship stuff. I can't vouch for shipping costs because I just spend a day crusing and stop in to shop. It's on Rt 209 (PA) just about 25 miles from Joliet, PA which is the little town near Rausch Creek Off Road Park if you're in the neighborhood. They have lots of weird military and other type bags and duffles. They have the mechanics bag for about $10 bucks, black and olive drab. Here's a link. No interest in this company, just passing info that someone might find helpful. Military duffel bags including alice packs and hunting pouches at Coleman's Military Surplus

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had a few of these for a long time, they've held up pretty well actually. They go on sale for $5 sometimes. I have six I think now...

15" Canvas Tool Bag - Carry Bags - Hand Tools
The Harbor Freight bags, at least in the link posted, have the regular duty zipper which will break in no time if you use the bag a lot. The heavy duty zippered bags (first link) are much better as far as the zipper goes.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Placed an order 3/03 for (qty 2) Olive Drab bags. Received them via USPS on 03/10 which was right on time per the expectation set by SportsmansGuide. Won't be able to comment on durability until they are loaded up and used, but the vendor definitely met and exceeded all exppectations regarding order stauts/delivery status.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts