Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm stopping at Zion on my way to Yellowstone. I've been there once before as a kid, and don't remember all that much about it. I'll be travelling with my wife, 2 young kids, as well as 2 other families. Hoping to get some recommendations on what to see/do given we only have 1 full day there.

I'd love to do Orderville Canyon someday, but I don't think we have the time on this trip, and it will likely be too difficult for the kids.

BTW, I won't be driving the FJ, so no off-roading this time around.:(

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hike up the Narrows, the kids will love it. This is a hike up the river in the canyon. It is an in and out hike so you can go as far as you want and then turn around. The farther you go back the narrower the canyon gets. The hike is completely in the river so you don't get hot and there are several little pools that the kids can play in.

Orderville Canyon is a two day hike that drops you out in the narrows. What I am describing is basically the last part of that hike.

The hike starts at the last shuttle stop, The Temple of Sinawava. Take the river walk all the way to the end and then into the river.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Hike up the Narrows, the kids will love it. This is a hike up the river in the canyon. It is an in and out hike so you can go as far as you want and then turn around. The farther you go back the narrower the canyon gets. The hike is completely in the river so you don't get hot and there are several little pools that the kids can play in.

Orderville Canyon is a two day hike that drops you out in the narrows. What I am describing is basically the last part of that hike.

The hike starts at the last shuttle stop, The Temple of Sinawava. Take the river walk all the way to the end and then into the river.
x2 on The Narrows, it is a great way to spend a day hiking in a beautiful setting, you can go up as far as you like and spend as much of the day as you want. I hiked it once when it was 105 degrees out and it was very pleasant in the canyon.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
If you do the Narrows hike, bring as dry change of clothes for the kids and kid-carry backpacks for your children because they'll eventually drop off to sleep and it's just easier if you can slide them in a back pack or chest pack. It's a great hike. Even though it's cool in the canyon, hydration is also important if you're going to be out there most of the day.

I know your boy and he'll be splashing until he gets splashed out (a real boy's boy).

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
was just there 2 weeks ago...the narrows if you want to hike in the water. make sure you check the river flow at the visitor center before starting the narrows... In Springdale you can rent tubes and float the Virgin river...

as far as hiking...Bright Angel takes 5-6 hours round trip and is the most popular hike and has a great view from the top. If you do it start really early to avoid the heat...valley highs are in the upper 90's 2 weeks ago...

If you are looking for a shorter hike, Watchman has a good view and only takes an hour. You can get to it from the visitor center.

or hike hidden canyon.its at the weeping rock stop..which is pretty cool. 1000 year old water dripping out of the rock

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'm following this thread. I really want to go to both Zion and Bryce. It could still happen this Summer... Crazy schedule to juggle at the moment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
:bigthumb:
was just there 2 weeks ago...the narrows if you want to hike in the water. make sure you check the river flow at the visitor center before starting the narrows... In Springdale you can rent tubes and float the Virgin river...

as far as hiking...Bright Angel takes 5-6 hours round trip and is the most popular hike and has a great view from the top. If you do it start really early to avoid the heat...valley highs are in the upper 90's 2 weeks ago...

If you are looking for a shorter hike, Watchman has a good view and only takes an hour. You can get to it from the visitor center.

or hike hidden canyon.its at the weeping rock stop..which is pretty cool. 1000 year old water dripping out of the rock
Think you meant Angel's Landing, Bright Angel is at the Grand Canyon. :bigthumb:

Angel's Landing is AWSOME but very strenous and can be dangerous. Definetly not for young children. Here are some of our pictures from last summer:

The last and most difficult section:

The top:

On the way down:

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
:bigthumb:

Think you meant Angel's Landing, Bright Angel is at the Grand Canyon. :bigthumb:

Angel's Landing is AWSOME but very strenous and can be dangerous. Definetly not for young children. Here are some of our pictures from last summer:

The last and most difficult section:

The top:

On the way down:
It is dangerous, especially with small kids. I hiked up there a few years ago and two weeks later learned a 12 year old fell to his death. As shown in the photos, the trail gets very narrow at the top, as little as 5 feet wide and is a 1000-1500 foot drop on either side. They installed posts and a chain along one side and I have seen some adults going up there that have a deathgrip on that chain with both hands and will refuse to let go even if children are coming the opposite direction.

Another shorter trail that is real pretty is the Emerald Pools hike. You can also go to the upper part of the park above the tunnel, find a pullout and just hike up on the rocks. This is easy hiking and gets you away from the crowds and still beautiful scenery. It also lets the kids run around a bit, and not be confined to narrow trails. It is best to stay on the rocks, which is easy to do, to practice the Tread Lightly principles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's not in Zion (it's at the entrance), but the Imax movie is actually pretty good. I think it's called Treasure of the Gods. I've seen it two different times, and enjoyed it both. It gives you a good overview of the park, along with a corny story. :)

The visuals are amazing in the film. Then to walk outside and see them in person is even more awe inspiring. Imax movies in general are always cool to me, but the added bonus of air conditioning for a few minutes is kind of nice as well. I've found discount tickets on the hotel pamphlet stands.

Once you get into the park there is so much to see and do. Some of the sites that are right off the road are very short walks and kids really seem to like them. Zion is one of those places that you can explore for days and not see half of what you want to see. So if it is just one day, I'd try to hit as many spots as possible and come back and explore more thoroughly on another trip.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Posting from Yellowstone right now. Passed through Zion a few days ago, and checked out the Emerald Pools, as well as some other stops along the shuttle. Didn't do any strenous hikes as we were in a large group with an infant and a few elderly folk. The 105+ degree weather made the decision easy for them. I'll definitely try out the Narrows and Orderville at a future date.

Yellowstone is as beautiful as it was during my last visit nearly two decades ago. Just came back from a full day trip to Grand Teton as well...AMAZING.

For all those going to Summit, enjoy yourselves and drive safely. I'll surely empathize with you on the gas $$$ pains...1500 miles so far, and we have yet to hit the return leg home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts