Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Camping box: Camp stove, plates, utensils, kitchen type knives, veg. oil, salt & pepper, tin foil, zip lock bags, lighter, waterproof matches, steel grate for cooking over the fire, pots & pans, mixing bowl, coffee cups, heavy cast iron griddle, coffee press, news paper, dish washing soap, F.S.R. radio’s, wash basin & wash rags.
Lose items: Lantern, axe, shovel, water cans, tent, foam mattress, pillows, sleeping bags (that zip together), tarps, lawn chairs & folding table, chain saw, machete, rain gear, fishing rods & tackle, 12 gauge shotgun.
Usually there are various other items as well, but these are the core items. Generally we have a Small utility trailer packed with all the camping gear that has a rack on top of it for the 16’ Alum. boat. The trailer is set up with fuel/water baskets, outboard mount and a winch on the front. The rack has plastic on top of the steel rack rails and two pulleys that the winch cable rides on. Just flip the alum boot over and it pulls right on to the top with the help of the winch. Very easy to load for one person. We keep the gear packed and ready to go in the trailer in storage boxes so it takes about 15 mins to get ready and go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just came back from Lost Maples State Natural Area in TX... 1 thing I learned from the trip is that to always have a portable Fire Extinguishers. 1 of the propane gas's can got leak and caught fire. We tried to dump buckets of water into it to no avail.

Luckily, 1 of the campers has a portable fire extinguisher...Good lesson to learn.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nobody has mentioned a good quality rope. Always handy to hogtie a perp. lol Seriously, very useful.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I have a little battery-operated Sony radio does AM/FM & Shortwave (just about all bands).

I take that darn thing everywhere and have done so for about 15 years. The thing is indestructible; still looks and sounds like new.

Anybody into AM DXing as a hobby?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
ALWAYS have two Benchmade 690 knives on me and one in the truck. I think a good knife is absolutely essential when you're in the woods. I actually carry mine at all times. It is amazing how often a knife comes in handy. IMO the benchmade 690 is the best folding knife ever made. Too bad the no longer make them. If you're lucky you can find one for a decent price on e-bay. Don't be surprised if the bids break $300.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I keep a bag of "miscellaneous supplies", always seems to come in handy. ie.....zip locks, matches, batteries, bandaids, needle and thread, super glue......basically anything you can think of!! Never know what your gonna need when and how far the nearest conveniece store or person is for that matter!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would add some sort of multi tool. I have a few leathermans and they have saved me more than once.

There are some great suggestions in here, keep them coming!!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
The most important thing to bring is a first aid kit. Include Band-Aids, gauze pads, tape, implements of splinter removal, first aid crème, anti bug spray, burn crème, sun block, eyeglass repair kit, hydrogen peroxide and it wouldn't hurt to toss in a first aid manual.

Take Nothing But Photographs (and memories)
Leave Nothing But Footprints
Kill Nothing But Time

Tread Lightly

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I have a little battery-operated Sony radio does AM/FM & Shortwave (just about all bands).

I take that darn thing everywhere and have done so for about 15 years. The thing is indestructible; still looks and sounds like new.

Anybody into AM DXing as a hobby?
Doesnt your FJ have a radio?....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ziploc bags... for everything. Once you've been caught in a storm and wished for nothing but dry clothes, you never make the mistake again. Keeping spare clothes in ziplocs has saved us (and our sanity) a few times.
Peanut butter and bread is another good staple.
And while I'd never go anywhere without my leatherman, I also don't go into the woods without one of these: http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/
for $20 you have an awesome tool that is small enough to keep in the FJ and can clear debris from a road (or not really a road) quickly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That pocket chainsaw is pretty sweet.

Have you used it much?

Yep. I've have 2 over 10 yrs (just replaced the first one last yr). On the road they're great. Even at home I've used it to trim tree branches. It's super light weight and doesn't take a lot to get through 4"-5". Years ago it saved us when a tree landed on our canoe during a storm in Boundry Waters (that did take a lot to get through).

Which reminds me... duct tape. Always pack duct tape. It CAN repair a canoe temporarily if a tree lands on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to live in CO and have done lots of back packing. my knive of choice is http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=19, this is the do it all knive. i think gerber makes one too but it sucks. the saw isnt as good.

all i really need is .357 strapped to my leg, tent (expensive tents pay for themselves after 1 storm!!!), shower curtain (lighter than a tarp and is still durable and water proof), sleeping bag w/ sleeping pad, repair kit for tents and sleeping pads, MSR stove and fuel, dried or add water food, water purifier, Alaskan Blade Trader Kershaw (link above), 2 Nalgene bottles, camel bak blatter, snake bite kit (i laughed at this untill someone i was with got bit), pint of vodka (get the plastic bottles and its the same size and shape of a flask), foldable plates and bowls (there is some oragami type plates and bowls out there that work great), foldable forks/spoons, head light, water proof matches, first aid supplies, crystal light to go packs, rain gear and water proof containers/bags, duct tape, toilet paper, cant forget the dog food... i am sure i am leaving something off my list. this sounds like a lot but it all fits into a backback. making that list makes me want to go out and camp! Oh yeah and dont forget the camera!

21 - 40 of 97 Posts