Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my Saris rack on a month or so ago...and it's been on ever since. I've got a seam that has a lot of rust on it already......do you think this thing is made to be taken off when you get home and only used for trips?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I think it's just poorly made. Racks are suppose to be able to withstand the rigors of the environment. Rusty after 1 month? Unless you got a great deal or can easily repair it yourself, I would consider taking it back.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
I would take it back for an exchange. If the second one does the same thing take it back and find another rack.

No point in spending your hard earned cash on something that's no good.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Those racks are meant to left on there, plus it would be a PITA to have to take on and off before and after a trip. I think you should contact the company and see if they will replace another one for you.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. Everything looks good except for one seam on the trailer hitch part of the rack...everything else is rust-free. It's a weld on the hitch part that is showing rust...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yep - return in. I had a Yak on my Trooper years ago... for years. It faded... but never rusted.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
meh - I got it through an employee of an outdoor store I used to work for, so I got it for 290 bucks instead of 450. but - it would be really hard to return. I guess I could just call Saris directly...

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
incidentally the rack makes getting things out of the back interesting.....good thing that back window opens!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Dude!!! that sucks. A rusty weld "is not" a good thing. I would sell it on ebay. Then roll down to a Performance Bike store and buy a ???thinking??
ah.....crap! They have a hitch mount bike rack that is like $120.
see attatchment.
That is what I roll with and it is 100% Kick @ss and the center peice folds down for accessing the back and when not in use the bottom folds up nice and tiddy like : ) I cruised it from San Francisco to Moab with over $10G of Ellsworth Nectar loaded up. From the inside looking back thru the mirror all you see are the seat and handlebars.

Attachments

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
meh - I got it through an employee of an outdoor store I used to work for, so I got it for 290 bucks instead of 450. but - it would be really hard to return. I guess I could just call Saris directly...
That is what I would do. I have the Saris that mounts to the spare tire rack and just took the bracket off for it last weekend when I was blacking out my spare rim. Mine has been off and on for about 19 months and except for some fading on the orange parts, it is holding up fine. I take it on and off but leave the bracket in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts