Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Currently I have a 2.5" spacer lift on my FJ (came that way from the dealer) and I've been spending many hours on this forum trying to figure out the best option for me to upgrade. It's a very difficult decision and the wealth of information on here is very helpful but at the same time a bit overwhelming hehe. But after pouring over just about every suspension lift thread on this board and weighing all the pros and cons, I think the RC 6" lift is the one for me. Also I would most likely replace the stock front coilovers with Radflo coilovers instead of using that big a$$ spacer in the RC lift.

But first a few questions (mostly interested to hear from people who actually have this lift)

* Are Radflo coilovers my only option up front? That is all I have seen mentioned on this board.

* I have a lot of weight up front (ARB bumper, winch, planning on dual battery). How stiff would this RC/Radflo setup be? (for example how would it compare to the "OME Heavy" lift?) I don't want this thing all droopy.

* When cornering how is the body roll compared to stock? brake dip? (right now my rig d*mn near does a somersault when I slam on the brakes with that ARB bumper on there lol)

* I haven't really seen anybody mention problems they have had with this lift. What were any issues you ran into with this lift?

I plan on putting some wheel spacers on to widen the stance. It seems like "Spidertrax" is the most popular option so I will probably go with those. Right now I am running 33" procomps on 17" procomps but I think when these wear out I will bump up to 35"

Anyway thanks for listening and I anxiously await any info from you guys running with RC 6" out there and hopefully I can use your input to set myself up for success!! Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah also...

* Do you have a good pic of the skid plate setup that comes with this thing? (a shot from underneath would be awesome)

* I have read that "Budbuilt" is making some compatible skids? Are there any other options?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I do not have a winch in my AllPro bumper but I think that the brake dive less than stock. I went with 2" wheels spacers and kept the stock 17" wheels. I did not go with Radflos yet. I used the spacer for now, a few others have used King coil overs and Fox coil overs. If you already have a 2.5" spacer you could maybe use it with any of the 3" lift coil overs. The RC lift spacer measures 4.5". I measured it before installing because I plan on putting on some coil overs in the future.

I think I have some better pics some where of the skid plate. If I can find them I will post them up for you.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I think you got two thing interweaved. If you get a rough country 6" lift, that's what you get. No other shocks, its the whole kit. If you want front coilovers, then you have the typical 3" options like Radflo, Icon, King, Fox, etc. If you are looking for higher performance, the 3" options will be better, if you are looking for height, the RC 6" will be it.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Radflo makes a 6" coil over for the RC kit. it is available from Radflo and was designed to work with the RC lift kit.

This is a link to Matt07's FJ that has a RC 6" with Fox Coilovers used up front.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-matt07fj-s-2007-fjc-all-extras-25-500-a.html

It is possible, but it will be somewhat custom. Where as the Radflo's are a straight bolt in add on to the RC lift.
Well color me embarrassed. Sorry to the OP for giving you a bad answer, my fault. I should've double checked the radflo site before answering.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well color me embarrassed. Sorry to the OP for giving you a bad answer, my fault. I should've double checked the radflo site before answering.
No Worries. We are all here to learn and share what we have learned. I searched and studied this kit and the options before I ordered it so I could be sure that I could upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey plnfixr320, thanks for the info and all the pics. Your rig looks pretty sick, if it's not too much trouble any chance you could post a pic of it from the side on level ground?

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Here is a stock, RC 3" and RC 6"

Here is a pic of Matt's old ride, you can see the Bud's.

Also, Rough Country has taken the radflo's off and went with their spacer on the front.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey plnfixr320, thanks for the info and all the pics. Your rig looks pretty sick, if it's not too much trouble any chance you could post a pic of it from the side on level ground?
Thanks for the kind words. This pic is one of the only ones I could find of a level side shot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, Rough Country has taken the radflo's off and went with their spacer on the front.
Thanks for the pics. Why did they take the radflo's off?? You mean they are running with the stock coilovers with the spacer?? No way could I do this...it is way too mushy especially with all the weight I have up front!

And plnfixr320, thanks again bro, I wanted to see the ground clearance on this lift and that pic is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Why did they take the radflo's off?? You mean they are running with the stock coilovers with the spacer?? No way could I do this...it is way too mushy especially with all the weight I have up front!

And plnfixr320, thanks again bro, I wanted to see the ground clearance on this lift and that pic is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!
Please note that my ride is on 285/70's in that picture. If you run a taller tire then your clearance will be better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How is the ride? I've been thinking about going with the 6" lift, I'd like to make a run in someone's rig up here with the lift installed to really get a feel for it.

Rig looks sweet!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
How is the ride? I've been thinking about going with the 6" lift, I'd like to make a run in someone's rig up here with the lift installed to really get a feel for it.

Rig looks sweet!
The ride is fine to me.

Going to be a the Summit?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Rig looks sweet!
It is stiffer than stock, but I like it better this way. It is not as stiff as my F-350 or GT mustang. If you are ever in SoCal let me know, you can test ride my rig.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
My understanding is they had spring rate issues. The shocks we made for Rough Country were not vehicle specific, and they did the mods. Our current shocks for the RC lift are bolt in.

Glenn

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Why did they take the radflo's off?? You mean they are running with the stock coilovers with the spacer??
We did have some rate issues, but that was mainly due to the fact we didn't give the guys at Rad-Flo ample time before that years SEMA show. The main and ultimate reason we do not run them is because we do not sell them or manufacture them. The idea has been knocked around and suggested, but always passed on. I wish I could talk them into it, but I fall flat on my face each time I mention it. Glenn even made us a killer deal on them, but yet again they passed. The spacers work great, but for the guy that is wanting to improve handling and control the height of the front bumper you can't beat an adj coil over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts