Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6" RC Lift, ARB bumper, and body mod chop.

I'm thinking off going to BF Goodrich All-Terrains LT315/70R17 from 33" something KM2 Mud-Terrains. I've had my KM2 for about 40,000 miles, and my front's are bald on the inside. I have about one more tire rotation out of them, and they are spent.

I need to get an alignment and then get some needed meats.

Here are my concerns: According to the 4wheelparts website, the BFG 315/70R17s are about 35x12.50R17. My lift lists that as the tire size of choice after a body mod chop, and some mud flap surgery. The only problem I might see is that my ARB+M8000 might have caused a bit of sagging up front.

It seems like there is plenty of vertical clearance, but I might need to go ahead and ditch my 6" strut spacers and stock springs with replaced munroe struts (my toyota front shocks blew) for a set of Icon adjustable coilovers to get out the sag, I refuse to use Radflo, as I tried to order from them previously and their customer service was lacking.

Any one else have a 6" RC, an ARB w/ winch, stock coilovers, and a set of 35's?

Any one have any constructive thoughts on possible interference due to coil sag? I was thinking maybe OME springs might work on my munroe shocks, ore maybe an OME front set of medium to heavy coilovers might work with my strut spacer, given the very visible difference between the amount of space in the front wheel arches and rear wheel arches.

Edit: BTW before someone says something like 'search the forums' I did a search for 315/70R17 in thread titles, and didn't find anything satisfying, I did the same for thread body, and I didn't find anything related to tires.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
You should be fine with the size you mentioned. There are a lot of people on the forum that run that tire size with only 3" lifts. info about your wheels also will shed light on if there will be an issue. I have ordered my RC 6" lift and talked to Demello Offroad and they told me that I can easily use that tire size. As for the weight sag, I have not had a lot of experiance with all that as far as changing coils. But you should be good.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Aftermarket uca's will help fit big tires no matter what lift you have on your fj. Because they give you additional clearance for the inside of the wheel. Running wheels with not enough backspace means the tires will rub the body mount.

And voila here is my terrible attempt in paint at explaining with a picture. The green tire is on a stock 4.5" backspace wheel. The blue tire is on a less backspaced wheel.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
SN95cobra, don't quit your day job...:)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Running wheels with too much backspace means the tires will rub the body mount.
You are confusing your terms.
Too much back space puts you closer to the frame.
a 4.5" backspacing wheel is going to sit closer to the frame than a 3.5" backspacing wheel.

The smaller the backspacing, the closer you are to the body mounts.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I have a 6" RC Lift, ARB bumper, and body mod chop.

I need to get an alignment and then get some needed meats.

Here are my concerns: According to the 4wheelparts website, the BFG 315/70R17s are about 35x12.50R17. My lift lists that as the tire size of choice after a body mod chop, and some mud flap surgery. The only problem I might see is that my ARB+M8000 might have caused a bit of sagging up front.

It seems like there is plenty of vertical clearance, but I might need to go ahead and ditch my 6" strut spacers and stock springs with replaced munroe struts (my toyota front shocks blew) for a set of Icon adjustable coilovers to get out the sag, I refuse to use Radflo, as I tried to order from them previously and their customer service was lacking.

Any one else have a 6" RC, an ARB w/ winch, stock coilovers, and a set of 35's?

I was thinking maybe OME springs might work on my munroe shocks, ore maybe an OME front set of medium to heavy coilovers might work with my strut spacer, given the very visible difference between the amount of space in the front wheel arches and rear wheel arches.
I run a Fabtech 6" full suspension drop kit...I found that the additional aftermarket weight of bumper & winch + dual batteries...just weighed down the front. I replaced my stock coils with the OME Heavy's and used the mediums in the rear....I had to buy custom Skyjackers to replace the Fabtech rear shocks...This was the ticket to fix the sag and and shore up any allignment problems. :cheers:

SN95cobra, don't quit your day job...:)
:lol::lol:

You should be fine with the size you mentioned. There are a lot of people on the forum that run that tire size with only 3" lifts. info about your wheels also will shed light on if there will be an issue. I have ordered my RC 6" lift and talked to Demello Offroad and they told me that I can easily use that tire size. As for the weight sag, I have not had a lot of experiance with all that as far as changing coils. But you should be good.
You should have no issue running that size tire...

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'll probably get a fancy aftermarket UCA, I noticed that the stock ones do not particularly like the 6" lift, and rub a little on the coils, and on the inside of my 33's. I ended up putting spacers on it to stop the tires from rubbing.

Glad to hear someone else put OME heavies on the front. That sounds like the ticket, to tame the front suspension in the face of the heavy ass bumper. It's unfortunate that the RC lift didn't use coil spacers like the Fabtech. The RC rear coils really do accentuate the name 'rough country', plus the fact that their shocks suck too, I'll probably have to get some custom coils and shocks from the local offroad shop.

Also glad to hear people are running that tire size with 3" lifts. 6" plus body mount chop ought to make them no problem then, despite might front sag.

That just adds project upon project. UCA's, heavier front coils, new meats, then alignment.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My current tires are 285/70R17 BFG KM2's they were great 40,000 miles ago. Now I've worn them half bald on two of them in the front due to alignment issues. However, judging by the not ruined section of tire left, plus where the rears are now since last rotation, they still wouldn't have had much life in them left anyways.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got 'em done. Moto metals with 315/70r17 BFG ATs. I just went ahead and got 4wheelparts to install them. They couldn't do the spare, so when I got home I popped out the cut off wheel and took about 3/4" of the spare tire nub to make the spare fit. I kept the spare at 33".

I had my truck aligned, it was only a little off. I still want new UCAs though.

It's on the list I guess, along with coilovers, and rear shocks.

They rub a little bit at full locj, I need to grind down the plate I welded on in my body mount chop a bit. Also I need to rework and reattach my mud flaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts