Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone at work thinks I'm crazy. I picked up a mint 2013 TT that was traded in with low miles. Original owner added some goodies.. Baja Rack/Ladder/Kenwood unit.

I have no use for the rack/ladder for the time being and am tempted to remove/sell. I don't mind the look without a rack along with the fact its squeaking and driving me crazy along with snow being a pain.

I can have parts order what I'll need replace the OEM covers but so far a few ppl have told me you're opening a can of worms for leaks.. stripping bolts to remove it.. just horror stories. I mean I work at Toyota so I'm kinda inclined to trust them?

Is this something I should just forget about or are ppl just going off a story they heard here and there. To clarify its not the techs telling me this its guys in sales/service.

Thoughts?

· Registered
768 Posts
If you look through this forum, you can find many examples of roof rack jobs gone wrong and headliners having to be removed to repair which is a fairly big job. Be prepared for it to go badly just in case it does go badly.

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,626 Posts
You will be fine. Its simple.

Just break the bolts loose FIRST. All of them. Then take them out in pairs to not torque the clip under the roof.

Install the shorter bolts that come with the delete kit with some silicone and done.

I ran without one for years due to a low garage. Only recently put one back on as i like to be able to grab it and climb on sliders while washing the truck / roof / bring home Xmas trees

· Registered
2,388 Posts
depends on what kind of work the monkey did on installing the previous rack and potentially how rusty the bolts are. In my mind, the worst case scenario is you have to pull headliner. Every bajarack or steel rack seems to eventually rust from the inside out....so depending on how long you have the FJ and your climate....your gonna have to remove at some point.

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
I have no use for the rack/ladder for the time being and am tempted to remove/sell.
Thoughts?
My advice: find a stock FJ rack and put that on instead of the roof rack delete kit. Or better yet, offer an FJ owner in your area to TRADE racks (plus some $$$ from their end). You get a rack that doesn't make a lot of noise and some $$$ in your pocket, they get an upgraded rack for cheap.

Unless you specifically don't want a rack for styling / aesthetic reasons, it is good to have some kind of rack up there for when you do have a use for it. And it's a lot easier to get that rack when you're taking this one off via trade than to try to find one later after you've gone a year or two with no rack.

Good luck!

· Registered
17 Posts
My FJ is naked. I bought the roof rack delete kit and clips for under headliner from Pure FJ. My roof had a small leak and the garage I used to fix it said they could repair it. They made it worse and I had to do it myself. 5 hr job to do all work. Probably would have been 3-4 hrs if I didn't have to remove all the caulking they had all over everything.

All the new parts have all the necessary seals and gaskets. Just make sure you clean it up good and tighten bolts to 14ft/lbs. Don't over tighten!

It's a simple job. Don't get scared of lowering the headliner if necessary because it's just nuts and bolts. Easy peasy. There's good videos on removing the headliner too on YouTube.

So just buy all the parts you'll possibly need before you start.

If anyone wants a roof rack and is willing to pick it up near Columbus Ohio I have one with a brand new hardware kit. $50. I also have factory nerf bars with fixable rust if you want. I'll give the nerf bars away free.

· Premium Member
1,744 Posts
The big benefit of going without a rack is you'll probably get better gas mileage. I had an All-Pro roof rack and took it off at one point to get it re-powder coated. While it was off I got 2-3 miles per gallon better mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts