Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far are the more 'extreme' trails in Colorado from the Denver area?

I'm sure I'll head out to 21 Road in Grand Junction; Topless, Die Tryin', et al in Montrose; Independence in Penrose, Blanca Peak, Carnage Canyon (the harder one)....etc.

How long does it take to get to these areas from say someplace like Conifer (about 40 minutes west of Denver at 8K feet)?

What about Moab? How far from Denver?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
534 Posts

I'm sure I'll head out to 21 Road in Grand Junction; Topless, Die Tryin', et al in Montrose; Independence in Penrose, Blanca Peak, Carnage Canyon (the harder one)....etc.

How long does it take to get to these areas from say someplace like Conifer (about 40 minutes west of Denver at 8K feet)?

Thanks,
Sean
Wow....do you dislike living in Mesa too?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

Thanks,
Sean
Hi Sean. We'd love to have you out here.

Can't speak for many of the extreme trails I think you'd be interested in except for one near Holy Cross. It's pretty hardcore and you might find it entertaining. I think the name is actually Holy Cross. It's About 2 hrs from Denver proper. I'd be happy to take you out there but would have to ride with you. YinYang just isn't up to the task right now. Once I've got her paid off and have a SFA in it, perhaps then.

Plenty of other Ubercore trails around:

Blanca Peak
Independence Trail
Trough Trail
Kelly Flats
Lefthand Canyon
Plane Crash, Ironclads
Miller Rock
Iron Chest Mine
Spring Creek

Some good ones, prob most casual for you. These are nasty to most, but some may be a challenge. Winch anchor points actually provided on several.

Edit: Moab is 4.5 hrs from my house, 5 loaded and 6 with a stop for a piss and food. I live in Dumont, 25 miles west of Denver. Conifer, because of its location, adds an additional 40 minutes to any drive unless it is accessed form 285.

For perspective, I can get to 4 corners in about 5-6 hours. That's as far as it gets in CO.
Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow....do you dislike living in Mesa too?
It's not just Mesa, per se....I don't care for most of the state anymore.

To be honest, the only thing I really like here is the fact that the rockcrawling is second to none and the gun laws are decent.

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sean. We'd love to have you out here.

Can't speak for many of the extreme trails I think you'd be interested in except for one near Holy Cross. It's pretty hardcore and you might find it entertaining. I think the name is actually Holy Cross. It's About 2 hrs from Denver proper. I'd be happy to take you out there but would have to ride with you. YinYang just isn't up to the task right now. Once I've got her paid off and have a SFA in it, perhaps then.

Plenty of other Ubercore trails around:

Blanca Peak
Independence Trail
Trough Trail
Kelly Flats
Lefthand Canyon
Plane Crash, Ironclads
Miller Rock
Iron Chest Mine
Spring Creek

Some good ones, prob most casual for you. These are nasty to most, but some may be a challenge. Winch anchor points actually provided on several.

Edit: Moab is 4.5 hrs from my house, 5 loaded and 6 with a stop for a piss and food. I live in Dumont, 25 miles west of Denver. Conifer, because of its location, adds an additional 40 minutes to any drive unless it is accessed form 285.

For perspective, I can get to 4 corners in about 5-6 hours. That's as far as it gets in CO.
Cheers,

Mike

Cool. Thanks for the info. I've actually heard of alot of the trails you mentioned, though Independence is the hardest one you mentioned. I think most of what I'd be interested in would be in the Montrose area.

Any idea on what SBR laws are like in CO. I know they are allowed, but I don't know if I have to do anything other than turn in new ATF paperwork. I'm hoping I don't have to get permission from the local LEO, DA or Judge.

Sean

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's not just Mesa, per se....I don't care for most of the state anymore.

To be honest, the only thing I really like here is the fact that the rockcrawling is second to none and the gun laws are decent.

Sean

I hear you. I keep telling my friends and family that this place will be unlivable in 10 years or less.

Unfortunately, my mom has already picked out where she wants to live when she needs assisted care.....and it is in a nice facility south of Tucson.

Grrrrrrrrrr..................

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I've actually heard of alot of the trails you mentioned, though Independence is the hardest one you mentioned. I think most of what I'd be interested in would be in the Montrose area.

Any idea on what SBR laws are like in CO. I know they are allowed, but I don't know if I have to do anything other than turn in new ATF paperwork. I'm hoping I don't have to get permission from the local LEO, DA or Judge.

Sean
I have several state cop friends. Colorado considers your vehicle an extension of your home. As long as you're not threatening anyone, State law prevails over county law. Some counties are full of ****. Denver county for one. Anyway, read Article 12 of the Colorado Peace Officer's Handbook. Colorado is a great state that is fairly relaxed with gun laws. The "Make My Day" law is a great example. Shoot a prick that is threatening you on your property and you'll likely be found justified.

That type of stuff.

Come on up. You'll never leave.

Mike

·
Registered
876 Posts
From my understanding Carnage is being shut down at the end of the this year/season. I think the deadline if I remember correctly is September. I know they are opening or have opened some other trails in the area and there are plans to open up one that's as difficult or more than Carnage for the crawlers.

As breauxtus said, you won't want to leave.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know about a lot of the stuff up north anymore, but the trailhead at Blanca is about 4 hours from Conifer. A lot of the stuff from Buena Vista to Poncha Springs is 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Gunnison and Creede are 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Lake city is 4 1/2 hours, and Ouray is about 5 hours away.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. It won't be for a while as I'd have to get my house ready for sale and make sure I can transfer with work or find a new job altogether with a different company, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's time for a change.

Any more comments are certainly welcome.

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Didn't you hear? Colorado is full ;)

Seriously, TONS of great places for the 'hard core' wheeler in CO. Denver to Moab is about 1/2 day drive, and you can get pretty much anywhere in the state in 5-6 hours from the front range area.

let us know :)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
X2

Too bad you're not coming to the Summit this year, Sean.
I assume you've been here before though, right?

steven

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Your welcome to our state! It's great out here...I'm a Colorado native up to my great, great, grandparents... and I still haven't got tired of this place. There just a little bit of everything here to relieve an itch or a wild hair..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

Add Billings outside GJ :D

TrailDamage.com - Billings Canyon

From my understanding Carnage is being shut down at the end of the this year/season. I think the deadline if I remember correctly is September. I know they are opening or have opened some other trails in the area and there are plans to open up one that's as difficult or more than Carnage for the crawlers.
To be clear this is Carnage Canyon in the Left Hand Canyon OHV outside of Boulder. BV (Buena Vista) Carnage is under no such threat. BV Carnage is also about 60 minutes from Conifer:
from: Conifer, CO to: 39.230126,-105.978241 - Google Maps

Colorado is a "Shall Issue" state and you may apply for CCW through the Sheriff's Office for the county in which you reside. The City and County of Denver have some controversial new laws, such as permit requirements for possession of a variety of weapons, even if they are merely stored in your home.

Here are some pics from a recent COTTORA run up Patriot and BV Carnage:

Patriot and BV Carnage - TTORA Forum

Look forward to seeing you up here!

Eric

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
X2

Too bad you're not coming to the Summit this year, Sean.
I assume you've been here before though, right?

steven

Ya, I've been up in Colorado quite a bit. Mostly in the Silverton/Ouray/Telluride area.

Sean

·
Registered
296 Posts
I could not stand it either after awhile. I grew up in Mesa, AZ and only go back to two places now, Eloy for my annual MFF requal at Skydive AZ and to Sedona for off road trails and MTB riding.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I could not stand it either after awhile. I grew up in Mesa, AZ and only go back to two places now, Eloy for my annual MFF requal at Skydive AZ and to Sedona for off road trails and MTB riding.
You read about those experienced skydivers who have died out there lately? Sadness indeed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts