Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Okay, I will bring the kayak. Phoenix might like to splash around in the reservoir too. The info on it says that it has a man made waterfall.

I plan to load tomorrow morning and leave around 10 AM. 3:15-3:30 drive time. But I am going to stop and smell the roses along the way. I will stop in Dove Creek CO at Adobe Milling https://www.anasazibeans.com/ and other places to take pics.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Excellent! Let’s just camp there then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s starting to get into the busy season in Moab. Also still hot down in the valley. I’d suggest camping at Horsethief because it will be cooler and closer to the bike trails. It’s now twice as big with a no generator area but fills up fast this time of year. You can always do a day trip to Kens Lake. But I would put in on the river in town. The section in town has very little current this time of year. Paddle upstream until you get tired then slowly drift back to the landing.

Dan knows the trails near Horsethief but do Rodeo which is a Loop right out of the CG. Also ride Chisholm maybe combined with part of Navaho Rocks as a shuttle. New trails going in all the time up there.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
It’s starting to get into the busy season in Moab. Also still hot down in the valley. I’d suggest camping at Horsethief because it will be cooler and closer to the bike trails. It’s now twice as big with a no generator area but fills up fast this time of year. You can always do a day trip to Kens Lake. But I would put in on the river in town. The section in town has very little current this time of year. Paddle upstream until you get tired then slowly drift back to the landing.

Dan knows the trails near Horsethief but do Rodeo which is a Loop right out of the CG. Also ride Chisholm maybe combined with part of Navaho Rocks as a shuttle. New trails going in all the time up there.

Have fun.

Sounds good. Might check out the lake on the way in since we are coming from the south. Planning to head out first thing in the morning so should have plenty of time. Then we can decide later which day will be paddling day.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I have a few things to finish this morning, then shower. There is a sprinkle of rain this morning. It rained hard a bit last night. I will text you when I get to Moab to see where people are and such. I will also be monitoring the 2 Moab 2M repeaters.

KE5WRH

I will me stopping a couple of times on the drive there.

Okay, I will be done loading in a few minutes. Then a shower and road trip. Well not major enough to be called that.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I have a few things to finish this morning, then shower. There is a sprinkle of rain this morning. It rained hard a bit last night. I will text you when I get to Moab to see where people are and such. I will also be monitoring the 2 Moab 2M repeaters.

KE5WRH

I will me stopping a couple of times on the drive there.

Okay, I will be done loading in a few minutes. Then a shower and road trip. Well not major enough to be called that.

I am only aware of one Moab 2m repeater, K7QEQ , 146.900. I will monitor that and 146.460 simplex. My call sign is KD0VVS.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Quick update for those poor souls following vicariously from your day jobs. We made it to Horse Thief campground. We met up with Brian by accident at the rest stop next to Hole in the Rock. Bob and I did a short ride this evening. Tomorrow we plan to ride Rodeo in the morning and go paddling at Ken’s Lake in the afternoon. Might use Long Canyon and Shafer Trail to get there and back. My only complaint is it is too damn windy. Rattling the tent and making it hard to sleep. All for now.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Bob and I rode Rodeo this morning and it pretty much wiped us out. Especially me. We did not make it to paddling. After essential rest we took the Long Canyon road into town and had BBQ at the Blue Pig.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Today we drove up Onion Creek Rd based on a post recommendation by Crazysanman. It did not disappoint. Had a late lunch at Milts then capped the evening off with a sunset at Dead Horse Point. Tomorrow we are moving further west to Navajo Lake.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
It’s a wrap. Bob and I finished up at Navajo Lake. We “tried” riding the middle section of the Virgin River Rim trail but it was more of a hike and bike. Climbing roughly 1000 feet in 3 miles at over 9000 feet above sea level will cause that. The views were great though.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Today we drove up Onion Creek Rd based on a post recommendation by Crazysanman. It did not disappoint. Had a late lunch at Milts then capped the evening off with a sunset at Dead Horse Point. Tomorrow we are moving further west to Navajo Lake.

That was a nice road, Nice clear water still running. Really pretty.
Food was good at Milts. Phoenix got a scoop of ice cream, then when my burger arrived there was a free side of bacon.

It’s a wrap. Bob and I finished up at Navajo Lake. We “tried” riding the middle section of the Virgin River Rim trail but it was more of a hike and bike. Climbing roughly 1000 feet in 3 miles at over 9000 feet above sea level will cause that. The views were great though.

That is nice too. I've taken roads from Cedar City then down to Kanab. I'll try some dirt roads if I'm ever through there again.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Nice report but more photos please.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I will try uploading just a couple. These were taken at high res settings on a real camera:wink

I uploaded them one at a time. No Photoshop, I use the Cokin filters to do stuff to the light before it enters the lens.

First pic. I went to set my tent up and I only had 1 of the rods that go through to support it. I found it on a shelf in the garage when I got home, right where the tent was stored on a shelf.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 181 Posts