Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! Here is another install thread that will hopefully be of use to at least a few people.

So during my first FJ Summit (2012) I saw another FJ that had a 3rd brake light that would flash rapidly for a couple seconds and then go solid like normal whenever the brakes were applied and I thought that was a cool little mod to make you stand out from the rest of the FJ crowd. So for my last FJ (the TRD one) I bought a small module off eBay that I wired in and it gave the affect I was looking for and I loved it. I don't have any pictures from the first install but here are some of my YouTube videos where you can see the original in action.

But with my new FJ I of course wanted to add this same feature! So here is a thread showing the install through pictures and I even made a detailed YouTube video that you can watch. Enjoy!

First you will need to remove the rear door's interior plastic panel. Just remove the screw tab covers and then unscrew the screws. Then open the rear window and pull on the plastic panel until the snaps the hold it in place unsnap and you can remove the door panel completely.

Now peel off the plastic protecting cover and black tar-stuff partially so you can gain clear access to the right side where you'll find 4 wires and a wiper fluid pipe that travel up the side pillar of the rear door.

So the 2 smaller wires are the ones for the LED 3rd brake light and the larger ones go to the rear window defroster. What you want to do is unplug that 4-wire plug as you see in the pictures and of the small wires the green with the yellow stripe wire is the positive wire and the white one with the black stripe is negative.

The module I bought was from United Pacific and is cool since it is adjustable! The last one I bough came a certain way and you couldn't do anything about it. Also keep in mind that some flashing modules or brake attention modules are incandescent bulb-specific, LED bulb-specific, or capable of working with both. So here is the packaging for mine and also the instructions of how to install.

Basically the module has 3 wires and what you'll do is cut the positive 3rd brake light wire and connect the red wire of the module to the positive feed from the vehicle and then connect the black wire to the positive wire that goes to the brake light. Following that you then connect the white wire from the module to the negative wire from the light any way you'd like whether that be splicing or whatever suits your fancy. Go ahead and plug the wires back in to you can test the light and adjust the module so you can get it to blink quickly or slowly and only a couple times or a lot! It's completely up to you. I found it best to have the rear door all the way open and then stand outside the vehicle so you can see the 3rd brake light on that door and I would press the brake with a long stick or rod.

Then you reapply the protective plastic by making the tar-stuff stick back onto the door. Again for a detailed explanation and to see what the blinking looks like as you adjust the flashing module to different flash patterns be sure to watch my video. Also make sure to secure the module so it doesn't rattle around or shake. Reinstall the rear door panel and there you go!

In the end it looks good and works great!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey everyone! Here is another install thread that will hopefully be of use to at least a few people.

So during my first FJ Summit (2012) I saw another FJ that had a 3rd brake light that would flash rapidly for a couple seconds and then go solid like normal whenever the brakes were applied and I thought that was a cool little mod to make you stand out from the rest of the FJ crowd. So for my last FJ (the TRD one) I bought a small module off eBay that I wired in and it gave the affect I was looking for and I loved it. I don't have any pictures from the first install but here are some of my YouTube videos where you can see the original in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCvaal8rcQk
FJX,
What are the modules mounted on the roof? I thought tree light LED's (for spoting koala's or raccoons but then saw them off center on drivers side. Ladder rack?

Watched it again on the big screen, board carrier?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pretty neat, but questionable if its legal. At a minimum I would suspect you are increasing your chances of a pullover etc. As many are finding out driving with supplemental LEDs on their rigs, its not if but when you will at least get hassled. In any case I would like to do this mod at some point.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job!
Can you post a link the module you purchased?
Sure thing! Brake Attention Flasher Module for LED Brake Lights Rapid Flash Then Steady On | eBay

FJX,
What are the modules mounted on the roof? I thought tree light LED's (for spoting koala's or raccoons but then saw them off center on drivers side. Ladder rack?

Watched it again on the big screen, board carrier?
What you probably see is part of the rear door ladder if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you take the third brake light apart like you are replacing a bulb, there is plenty of room to wire this in there. No reason to remove the door panel etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
There are units available that flash 3 times, these are supposedly available in all states. Some can be programed to continuously flash, they are not legal in California.

The higher end ones will flash 3 times, and then go solid, so if in traffic, it needs 15 seconds to reactivate. I have them on my Opel GT and Sky Redline. Never thought about them on the FJ.. The other two are so low any brake light additions are almost a necessity. The FJ is pretty easy to see.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What you probably see is part of the rear door ladder if I'm not mistaken.
Ah, it really looked like two angled arrays mounted off center on the drivers side, mounted to the lower rack cross bars. One forward and another behind it. Like I first said, thought is was a crazy tree light but then figured it was a surf board carrier or ski's, ladder rack.

Maybe it was the late Aunt Edna from National Lampoon's Vacation (version one)

·
Registered
298 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCvaal8rcQk

But with my new FJ I of course wanted to add this same feature! So here is a thread showing the install through pictures and I even made a detailed YouTube video that you can watch. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtuOH9m3K1E

First you will need to remove the rear door's interior plastic panel. Just remove the screw tab covers and then unscrew the screws. Then open the rear window and pull on the plastic panel until the snaps the hold it in place unsnap and you can remove the door panel completely.

Now peel off the plastic protecting cover and black tar-stuff partially so you can gain clear access to the right side where you'll find 4 wires and a wiper fluid pipe that travel up the side pillar of the rear door.

So the 2 smaller wires are the ones for the LED 3rd brake light and the larger ones go to the rear window defroster. What you want to do is unplug that 4-wire plug as you see in the pictures and of the small wires the green with the yellow stripe wire is the positive wire and the white one with the black stripe is negative.

The module I bought was from United Pacific and is cool since it is adjustable! The last one I bough came a certain way and you couldn't do anything about it. Also keep in mind that some flashing modules or brake attention modules are incandescent bulb-specific, LED bulb-specific, or capable of working with both. So here is the packaging for mine and also the instructions of how to install.

Basically the module has 3 wires and what you'll do is cut the positive 3rd brake light wire and connect the red wire of the module to the positive feed from the vehicle and then connect the black wire to the positive wire that goes to the brake light. Following that you then connect the white wire from the module to the negative wire from the light any way you'd like whether that be splicing or whatever suits your fancy. Go ahead and plug the wires back in to you can test the light and adjust the module so you can get it to blink quickly or slowly and only a couple times or a lot! It's completely up to you. I found it best to have the rear door all the way open and then stand outside the vehicle so you can see the 3rd brake light on that door and I would press the brake with a long stick or rod.

Then you reapply the protective plastic by making the tar-stuff stick back onto the door. Again for a detailed explanation and to see what the blinking looks like as you adjust the flashing module to different flash patterns be sure to watch my video. Also make sure to secure the module so it doesn't rattle around or shake. Reinstall the rear door panel and there you go!

In the end it looks good and works great!
Great post!!! Definitely going to do this! Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Installed mine. Removed the plastic cover behind the brake light. Wired it in and stuck it to the panel with two way tape. Took about 10 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts