Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I forgot to take a picture so i am sorry:boohoo:, but imagine a BD FJ with a all pro front bumper and a 3" lift pulling a 14' car trailer with a 07 jeep compass from San Diego to fort Leanordwood, MO about 1700 miles plus two dogs and a wife. Made it in 3 days and still got 230 miles to the tank with 87 octane ( shell or chevron only) OHHH YAAA this thing has some nuts and it didn't even really sag the rear end either!!:rocker:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Re: This Fj Is A Towimg Beast!!!

First I forgot to take a picture so i am sorry:boohoo:, but imagine a BD FJ with a all pro front bumper and a 3" lift pulling a 14' car trailer with a 07 jeep compass from San Diego to fort Leanordwood, MO about 1700 miles plus two dogs and a wife. Made it in 3 days and still got 230 miles to the tank with 87 octane ( shell or chevron only) OHHH YAAA this thing has some nuts and it didn't even really sag the rear end either!!:rocker:

Wow! I've had tanks worse that from just.. commuting.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Do you own the trailer or did you rent? If you rented it where did you rent it from?

Glad you had a good experience. No problems running 87, knocking or hesitation?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts

damn... who did you rent the car trailer from?
wish i could see at least one pic *thumbs down for you not being prepared. ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Do you own the trailer or did you rent? If you rented it where did you rent it from?

Glad you had a good experience. No problems running 87, knocking or hesitation?[/QUOTE

got the trailer from u-haul no problums which after reading on here I thought I would and the only slight problems was on some of the bigger hills but no knocks that shell gas for ya

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

damn... who did you rent the car trailer from?
wish i could see at least one pic *thumbs down for you not being prepared. ;)

Ya sorry about that couldnt find the camra then i was tired of towing that thing around so i returned it :flame:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Sounds cool,:cheers: but why were you towing a JEEP!:flame:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Because jeeps have poor quailty:clap: and need to be towed from point A to point B all the time.
Good point!!!:rofl::jester: but still, a Toyota should never be seen together with the treacherous JEEP Compass! eww:notsigned:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts

At the risk of getting slammed I drove a buddies jeep CJ yesterday to listen to his Coopers SST (Nice Tires BTW). I have to tell you I felt like one of those Shriner clowns on a little car in the parade. The FJ is just so much more vehicle much wider and spacious.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts

No knocks and enough power for towing while running 87? I would never do that to my FJ, but good to know it can be done. Modern vehicle computers can compensate for so much.

·
Registered
499 Posts

i would get better gas milage but tapping on that gas pedal and hearing her purr then taking the rpms up is just waaaay to pleasing

·
Premium Member
501 Posts

Hey welcome to my ole home town!Born right there at Fort "lost in the woods" Missouri.Had many of 4 wheeling moments back there when I was a kid.PM and I'll tell ya all about the back woods trails.Its a 4 wheelers paradise.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts

I agree completely, The hardest part about towing with an FJ is to keep it within legal towing speed limits. I have around 3,000 miles of towing with my FJ. I had over 40,000 miles of towing with my old Jeep Cherrokee.
I have a question, Recently, I was towing thru some 3rd gear, roller coaster style, back country mountain highway. I thought to myself that this was the most awesome towing platform with the AWD.

question is, As far as stability goes, which platform is better for towing? 4x4 (in 2x4) or an AWD?

·
Registered
588 Posts

I'm glad to hear that, I have to tow a trailer from Houston back to new Orleans next week... I was a little worried at first, but after reading on this great forum, I'm not dreading it anymore...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

That's exactly why I traded my last Rubicon for the FJ. Roadtripping in the TJ Rubi is like riding a snapper at 70MPH..LOL... Ron

At the risk of getting slammed I drove a buddies jeep CJ yesterday to listen to his Coopers SST (Nice Tires BTW). I have to tell you I felt like one of those Shriner clowns on a little car in the parade. The FJ is just so much more vehicle much wider and spacious.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts

I concur.... Towing? NOT A PROBLEM!!!

Today was my first time towing with the FJ. I pulled this fairly heavy trailer (7500lb hauler) with my buddies beater on it (2500lbs) through glacial morraines - very hilly. It squatted a little bit - we probably had the car too far forward - but I hardly knew it was back there! :bananahump-slvrathl

I'm very happy with the performance. FJs rock!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts

I agree with the FJ towing very well. I tote a 3500lb boat down the highway and it pulls it out of the water like a champ. I have a 07' 4x4. I was afraid when trading in my 03' Tundra on this that I was going to have problems. Believe it or not the boat is a heck of a lot more stable at 60 behind the FJ then it was behind the Tundra.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts