Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I've run those before, they're great! The only problem is you can't mount too big of a light otherwise it won't fit. I think the biggest you can mount are two 7" or 8" lights.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Good idea for those with roller fairleads but no light tabs on the bumper. SOL if you have hawse type fairlead.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I was thinking about running a smaller light up there. Maybe 4 inches max. Why do people run the Hawse Farileads? Seems like friction on the synthetic line would be a bad thing. The roller fairleads work well with steel or synthetic cable. Is is just a looks thing?

·
Registered
876 Posts
weird... won't link to the right page. Click on "Components" Then on "Fair Lead Mount Light Bracket" Under the "Lights" category.
That's because they've designed the site with "frames."
Your link calls (is linked to) the frameset page of index2.php, which has the content for each frame hard-coded into it.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
365 Posts
yeah, I was thinking about running a smaller light up there. Maybe 4 inches max. Why do people run the Hawse Farileads? Seems like friction on the synthetic line would be a bad thing. The roller fairleads work well with steel or synthetic cable. Is is just a looks thing?
Aluminum hawse fairleads are recommended for use with synthetic line due to their smoothness and no "pinch points". The rollers can get burrs (unless they're brand new). Also, you can run a delrin roller fairlead (which has some sort of high density plastic on the rollers). What you don't want is a pinched synthetic line.

Check out some of the synthetic line manufacturers webpages and you can get more info. (masterpull, winchline, etc.)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Toledo FJ said:
Why do people run the Hawse Farileads? Seems like friction on the synthetic line would be a bad thing. The roller fairleads work well with steel or synthetic cable. Is is just a looks thing?
To add on to what VooDude said, roller type fairleads can pinch synthetic lines when you have a side pull situation. Hawse type is smooth and though will have more friction then roller on a straight pull, it won't pinch in a side pull. Aluminum also will dissipate heat rather quickly. There are also synthetic fairleads that when heated by the line, will soften and become self lubricating. Some composite are made of UHMW and those tend to be very light, but can be flexible (not a desired property when winching). Fourtreks make a proprietary composite that has graphite impregnated and suppose to be very strong.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aluminum hawse fairleads are recommended for use with synthetic line due to their smoothness and no "pinch points". The rollers can get burrs (unless they're brand new). Also, you can run a delrin roller fairlead (which has some sort of high density plastic on the rollers). What you don't want is a pinched synthetic line.

Check out some of the synthetic line manufacturers webpages and you can get more info. (masterpull, winchline, etc.)
Interesting. I've seen guys running synthetic lines with rollers with no problems but I see how the line might get pinched in a side pull.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Interesting. I've seen guys running synthetic lines with rollers with no problems but I see how the line might get pinched in a side pull.
I'm currently running it with rollers and don't feel too good about it. I'm looking to replace soon. I'll be going with Fourtreks' composite fairlead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts