Optima Red Top,
Smittybilt Winch 3rd Gen 9500 lb. Waterproof
FG KO2's
K&N Filter
ARB Recovery Gear
Off Road LED's
LED Headlamps
2 Inch Lift
Also, it's a 12 year old truck, I finally did the 3M headlight restoration kit...worked pretty well...the one that fits on your drill...

D70B9C54-87F1-437D-B3FF-3FA4FE349D77.jpeg

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,325 Posts
As said...if you leave the side steps on and then hit the rocks you’ll bend them and they will bend your sills. Better off with nothing if you don’t want sliders. You can refit them afterwards

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that really needs to happen...I need to find a set because they are going to get damaged...in the past I've simply stuck to Rated 4 obstacles. So far so good, but Moab needs more.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Just found some rock sliders on Amazon for 80 bucks. I'll outfit them for the trip. Thanks again!
I'd be very skeptical of the design, workmanship and material quality with a pair of "super low-end" $80 sliders.

If you are looking at the $80 "nerf bars", they are absolutely NOT rock rails, and will provide ZERO sill protection. Look at some real rock rails from any supplier, and how they attach directly to the frame rails.

ARIES 202011 3-Inch Round Black Steel Nerf Bars Select Toyota FJ Cruiser

Remember that they are potentially protecting your pristine FJ from thousands of dollars of damage from an accidental "oops".

I'd spend the ~$400 and get a pair of US-made sliders from one of the many domestic sources. I can highly recommend the "standard" kick-out sliders from All-Pro Offroad, which are also sold through Pure FJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be very skeptical of the design, workmanship and material quality with a pair of "super low-end" $80 sliders.

If you are looking at the $80 "nerf bars", they are absolutely NOT rock rails, and will provide ZERO sill protection. Look at some real rock rails from any supplier, and how they attach directly to the frame rails.

Remember that they are potentially protecting your pristine FJ from thousands of dollars of damage from an accidental "oops".

I'd spend the ~$400 and get a pair of US-made sliders from one of the many domestic sources. I can highly recommend the "standard" kick-out sliders from All-Pro Offroad, which are also sold through Pure FJ Cruiser.
This is good advice. I want ARB’s or better. But I can’t afford them. This was a stretch. I thought since it was better to have nothing than the step, then having cheap sliders would be one better than nothing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can always smack a rock with cheap sliders, rip them apart and they can fall apart. After falling apart they can twist around and tear up doors or something else. Ruin the trip and cost you a fortune. Or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
This is good advice. I want ARB’s or better. But I can’t afford them. This was a stretch. I thought since it was better to have nothing than the step, then having cheap sliders would be one better than nothing.
But those cheap "nerf bars" are NOT sliders, and will provide ZERO protection to your sills. They are only attached to the vehicle body with thin sheet-metal straps. If you ever make hard contact with a rock, tree stump, etc. they will fold upward and damage BOTH doors and the body panels in front of and behind the doors.

Sliders are heavy, rigid structural weldments directly attached to the vehicle frame at multiple points. They are rigid enough to support several times the vehicle's weight (dynamic load, not just static load) at any one point on the underside of the slider.

While you have added some nice accessories to your FJ, it sounds like you may not have much off-road experience. If you really intend to expose your FJ to rugged off-road conditions, skidplates and sliders probably should have been given priority over LED headlights, fancy aluminum wheels, and especially an expensive winch.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
IMO a Moab starter kit would consist of sliders and a little lift. Skid plates are not as necessary because Moab is all about ledges, which, with a little care, don't tend to impact underneath in concentrated areas. This is as opposed to crawling through a boulder field, where a rock can poke at any one point under there and therefore skid plates are a good idea.

After sliders/lift I would look at HD rear axle links and link mount armor. I have hammered the rear link mounts pretty hard a couple of times in Moab.

·
Admin
7,003 Posts
Yep.... cheapest solution would be to simply remove the running boards.

If the cheapy sliders actually bolt to your frame and NOT your body (there are 4 mounting points along the frame on each side) then it probably wouldn't hurt... just don't rely on them too much... ie: slamming down onto them with the full weight of the FJ.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
It is interesting the difference of what people think is important additions for a Moab trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My under-armor & slider recommendations weren't intended to be specific to Moab, but to general off-roading, as I'm assuming that the OP won't limit his 4WD adventures to Moab only.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
In post #12, I forgot to include what is probably the single most useful "accessory" for off-roading: a reliable air compressor for airing up tires after deflating to a reasonable pressure for traction and comfort off-road. I use my ARB compressor absolutely every time I am off-road.

My "on the road" tire pressure of 46 PSI (load range E KO2s) must be reduced to 15-20 PSI to get a decent footprint for soft sand or slippery rock, and trying to drive on a washboard road at 40+ PSI will jar your fillings out, not to mention severe shock/vibration exposure for the entire vehicle. Airing down to 20 PSI makes an unbelievable difference is smoothness on washboard surfaces.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really appreciate the discussion, gentlemen. I do a fair amount of off-roading, previously in a stock FJ. I avoided any obstacle over level 4...and used my judgement. I tend to take the easy alternate if it goes beyond what I am willing to risk. My main reason for off-roading is to get to almost anywhere and not bust a U-Joint or overuse the drivetrain with anything too steep. I'm not the extreme off roader in this vehicle rightcheer, mostly because it's also my daily.

Thanks for the time to educate me on cheap sliders. Maybe I'll just put them on, and go forward making sure that I'm not going to bang anything...and I'll test them out on easy stuff locally...see how they do. Then either take the trip or replace them...or just stick to lower rated stuff while out there...entirely. Don't go on anything that's named after satan or poison spiders? LOL.

·
Registered
154 Posts

I just put All Pro kick-out sliders on mine ordered through Summit Racing great company to deal with. $380 free shipping other than a $17 oversize charge for shipping. So ended up being the best deal I could find.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts