Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry the pictures posted up twice. Boy that rash on the side of my FJ looks bad maybe tar too. I have it put away for the winter to keep this road salt off of it now.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
:) Sliders will greatly enhance your peace of mind when wheeling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
:) Sliders will greatly enhance your peace of mind when wheeling.
I already feel so much better. I hope I can resist the urge to seek out rocks to test them. Every YouTube video channel's got an upgrade...then they say, "Now let's go hit some rocks." So funny.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I installed the ARB Deluxe Rock Sliders. I am very grateful for the comments and guidance. I thought I was buying this protection when I got the nerf bar...they looked similar when installed...after having gone through the installation it's clear now what the sliders really are...extensions of the frame itself. I only need to know where to stop adding weight...because I don't want to make any changes to the gear ratio. I may skip the rear bumper.

The ARB Rock sliders are an efficient use of weight vs. protection. Some brands were beefier, for sure.

Installing them was a pain in the ass. I had to use PB Blast to treat the threads on the frame, as well as a brass brush, and I worked all the bolts all the way in with a lot of effort and backed them out before mounting the sliders. My tools didn't fit in the tight spaces...so I was tightening everything with a stubby 13mm wrench. If I hadn't staged the bolts with a heavy duty ratchet prior to mounting, it would have been impossible.

Mentioning that here just in case it might be helpful to anyone attempting the install with basic tools and also dealing with rust.

I also installed the winch bar and bull bar on my own. Honestly, I'm glad it's over. I'm not equipped for this kind of thing doing this work without the benefit of proper tools that will fit in those tight spaces really took a toll on my shoulders. I traded time and pain to save a lot of money that was spent on more and better equipment. Now that it's over...I feel great. But wow my body sure does not.

I started the prep work yesterday afternoon and finished after an all-nighter in the garage. The install itself wasn't terribly difficult, it's getting those bolts staged that really took time.

I could have used an M8x1.25 tap and tap wrench, as my brother suggested...but he also said I'm probably better off for having done it the hard way.

When I took the stock step rails off, I sheered just one bolt. That was my first one...and it feels funny when it happens. Since I doubt I'll use those threads again, it doesn't matter. I just can't help but think that I have some bad stuff to deal with down the road. Ever see a starter pulled from the FJ? Not pretty for victims of rust. I hope it doesn't happen to this FJ.

Nice to see you all and thank you again for the help.

(y):poop:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Lube, brush and brute force may have cleaned out the weld nuts in the frame for you, but simply running a tap (M12 X 1.5?) into the threads would have been much faster and easier, and would have guaranteed pristine female threads.

Also, another critical step is to apply a liberal amount of anti-seize to the bolt threads before installation. Toyota uses weld nuts to create threads in the thin frame members, and having a bolt rust or seize in the nut can be catastrophic if the nut breaks loose while trying to remove the bolt later on. I applied plenty of anti-seize at the time of installation, and break the bolts loose 1 turn every 2 years or so when I am re-torquing the bolts. Any that don't turn freely get taken out and have more anti-seize applied.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts