Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time inner fender rips have been repaired on both sides. Only 11,400 miles and 18 months old! Also note the front lower fender brackets have broken free from their spot welds. If you have a rattle in the front of your FJ, this may be the problem. Just though you would like to see the carnage. :mecry:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So, are they just replacing the fender aprons with 'normal' fender aprons? I saw a post on here somewhere about a guy (in Canada, I believe) that got some additional bracing from Toyota to add to the replaced fenders to keep this from happening again. Any word on that?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no new inner fenders! The part number has changed for what ever reason, but the "new" inner fender is identical to the "old" design from a visual prospective. No new bracing either.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm still wondering what all the fender fuss is about in the first place.
Is it worth all of this trouble when the truck performs exactly the same with or without them? Im just curious.
My truck has the crack too on the right side of the bay but I dont see too much tragedy in it.. Or maybe Im just a dummy. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hmmm...I believe the post I was referring to was in the MONSTER thread on this subject. He mentioned that Toyota Japan sent two braces that mount on the hidden side of the fender apron and 'boxed' the section in so it was much stiffer. I have a bulged fender apron and have not pushed to have it fixed because of the likelihood of your exact situation. Sucks that you have to do it twice. I know another FJ'er that is in need of a second replacement. So not cool.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just seems that cutting all of that out, and having some PERSON (not machine) weld it all back together is setting yourself up for more problems that you would have had in the long run.

Not trying to be disrespectful, Good luck as I have the same fender issue.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm still wondering what all the fender fuss is about in the first place.
Is it worth all of this trouble when the truck performs exactly the same with or without them? Im just curious.
My truck has the crack too on the right side of the bay but I dont see too much tragedy in it.. Or maybe Im just a dummy. Anyway good luck.
Basically, it's not how it's supposed to be. And this whole thing will kill any resale value. Maybe not so much if it's been fixed but definitely if it's sitting there with two gaping holes. (for those looking to sell at some point in the future) It's a tragedy because it's completely unnecessary and ridiculous...and Toyota shouldn't be allowed to put this stuff out and not have a backlash from owners. The attitude that it's no big deal is why companies start producing Jeep quality products...why try hard if no one cares? 'We'll still make money!' Being a vigilant and responsive consumer is what keeps companies producing quality products.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Point taken.

I guess I'd just rather have a bulge or crack than have my truck sawed up and welded back together by joe blow. Thanks for the explanation Clerk.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Oh, I hear ya. I don't want my truck all torn apart either. I have a bulge at this point and don't plan on doing anything about it (it's 'documented' with Toyota) until it cracks. And then, I'll be looking for a better solution than just replacing it with exactly the same thing that failed in the first place. It's just disappointing, mostly. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, I am a little disappointed as well as I am pretty particular about not abusing my truck. You should start a thread (if it's not in another one) about how to document this with Toyota like you did.

That might:
A) Make more people (myself included) do it
B) Gather more attention!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yeah, I am a little disappointed as well as I am pretty particular about not abusing my truck. You should start a thread (if it's not in another one) about how to document this with Toyota like you did.

That might:
A) Make more people (myself included) do it
B) Gather more attention!
I believe this has been buried in several threads. Basically, the first step is to go to your dealership. Talk to them about it. They should write it up as a warranty type deal (damage due to defect or whatever). If they don't want to help you document it, then you call TMC (Toyota Motor Corp) North America - customer service and have them take care of it. You WILL get a response from your dealer once TMC is involved. TMC will also issue a 'claim' number that you can carry around with your vehicle info...should you need to whip it out.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just drilled and bolted those lower fender brackets on mine. Two small tack welds just seems a little insufficient for how hard I jump Sonic!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the sentiments expressed thus far. Here are my thoughts on the fender bulges, cracks, and bracket problems. If it were just a cosmetic issue I could live it, but Its more than an eye sore. On the drivers side the inner fender supports the battery, fuse box(s), and other electronic components. The passenger side inner fender secures the power steering oil resivior, AC lines, air intake components and in my FJ a second battery. Both sides secure electrical wiring. If these Items are allowed to move freely, then over time there’s a risk of electrical shorts, fire, loss of power steering, and failure of the AC. The secondary effects of anyone of these components failing due to vibration and or impact with another component are to numerous to mention.

Another issue, for what period of time is Toyota responsible for repairing the inner fender(s)? I’m not a lawyer, but I’m sure there’s a statute of limitation on a repair such as this, probably within the warranty period. I don’t believe documentation alone of the inner fender bulging and cracking is going to hold Toyota responsible for an indefinite period of time. Fj owners also have a responsibility to make repairs in a timely period! Bottom line, I think Toyota will resolve the problem, but I’m not going to wait so long to make the repair that I become financially responsible for that repair.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I just drilled and bolted those lower fender brackets on mine. Two small tack welds just seems a little insufficient for how hard I jump Sonic!
Ya think? :lol:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The FJ came home yesterday! Time in the body shop, 23 days.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hope they correctly repaired this time, remember the lemmon laws. When you purchase a vehicle from Toyota you sign some type of waiver and use their mediator to resolve warranty or defective problems. Hope this is over for you!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts