Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

This really hurts!

4K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  DoWork 
#1 ·
This is the second time inner fender rips have been repaired on both sides. Only 11,400 miles and 18 months old! Also note the front lower fender brackets have broken free from their spot welds. If you have a rattle in the front of your FJ, this may be the problem. Just though you would like to see the carnage. :mecry:

See less See more
#2 ·
So, are they just replacing the fender aprons with 'normal' fender aprons? I saw a post on here somewhere about a guy (in Canada, I believe) that got some additional bracing from Toyota to add to the replaced fenders to keep this from happening again. Any word on that?

#25 ·
That is me. Yes it is a different fender and yes the bracing is new and fully extends to the front of the fender.

#3 ·
There are no new inner fenders! The part number has changed for what ever reason, but the "new" inner fender is identical to the "old" design from a visual prospective. No new bracing either.

#4 ·
I'm still wondering what all the fender fuss is about in the first place.
Is it worth all of this trouble when the truck performs exactly the same with or without them? Im just curious.
My truck has the crack too on the right side of the bay but I dont see too much tragedy in it.. Or maybe Im just a dummy. Anyway good luck.

#8 ·
Basically, it's not how it's supposed to be. And this whole thing will kill any resale value. Maybe not so much if it's been fixed but definitely if it's sitting there with two gaping holes. (for those looking to sell at some point in the future) It's a tragedy because it's completely unnecessary and ridiculous...and Toyota shouldn't be allowed to put this stuff out and not have a backlash from owners. The attitude that it's no big deal is why companies start producing Jeep quality products...why try hard if no one cares? 'We'll still make money!' Being a vigilant and responsive consumer is what keeps companies producing quality products.

#5 ·
Hmmm...I believe the post I was referring to was in the MONSTER thread on this subject. He mentioned that Toyota Japan sent two braces that mount on the hidden side of the fender apron and 'boxed' the section in so it was much stiffer. I have a bulged fender apron and have not pushed to have it fixed because of the likelihood of your exact situation. Sucks that you have to do it twice. I know another FJ'er that is in need of a second replacement. So not cool.

#6 · (Edited)
Just seems that cutting all of that out, and having some PERSON (not machine) weld it all back together is setting yourself up for more problems that you would have had in the long run.

Not trying to be disrespectful, Good luck as I have the same fender issue.

#10 ·
Oh, I hear ya. I don't want my truck all torn apart either. I have a bulge at this point and don't plan on doing anything about it (it's 'documented' with Toyota) until it cracks. And then, I'll be looking for a better solution than just replacing it with exactly the same thing that failed in the first place. It's just disappointing, mostly. :)

#11 ·
Yeah, I am a little disappointed as well as I am pretty particular about not abusing my truck. You should start a thread (if it's not in another one) about how to document this with Toyota like you did.

That might:
A) Make more people (myself included) do it
B) Gather more attention!

#13 ·
I believe this has been buried in several threads. Basically, the first step is to go to your dealership. Talk to them about it. They should write it up as a warranty type deal (damage due to defect or whatever). If they don't want to help you document it, then you call TMC (Toyota Motor Corp) North America - customer service and have them take care of it. You WILL get a response from your dealer once TMC is involved. TMC will also issue a 'claim' number that you can carry around with your vehicle info...should you need to whip it out.

#14 ·

:lol::lol::lol:

#16 ·
I appreciate the sentiments expressed thus far. Here are my thoughts on the fender bulges, cracks, and bracket problems. If it were just a cosmetic issue I could live it, but Its more than an eye sore. On the drivers side the inner fender supports the battery, fuse box(s), and other electronic components. The passenger side inner fender secures the power steering oil resivior, AC lines, air intake components and in my FJ a second battery. Both sides secure electrical wiring. If these Items are allowed to move freely, then over time there’s a risk of electrical shorts, fire, loss of power steering, and failure of the AC. The secondary effects of anyone of these components failing due to vibration and or impact with another component are to numerous to mention.

Another issue, for what period of time is Toyota responsible for repairing the inner fender(s)? I’m not a lawyer, but I’m sure there’s a statute of limitation on a repair such as this, probably within the warranty period. I don’t believe documentation alone of the inner fender bulging and cracking is going to hold Toyota responsible for an indefinite period of time. Fj owners also have a responsibility to make repairs in a timely period! Bottom line, I think Toyota will resolve the problem, but I’m not going to wait so long to make the repair that I become financially responsible for that repair.

#20 ·
Hope they correctly repaired this time, remember the lemmon laws. When you purchase a vehicle from Toyota you sign some type of waiver and use their mediator to resolve warranty or defective problems. Hope this is over for you!

#22 ·
By the way, do you ever build things for other people with all those woodworking tools (clocks aside) or just do stuff for fun?

#28 ·
i stopped by the dealer on Thur and talked to them and he mentioned that we still are not ready to do the repair that he was in contact with Torrance and the latest fix the fender reinforcements should be in by the end of the month of July? Good Luck to all and I hope this fix sticks.

#29 ·
There may be a new inner fender out their, but my FJ didn’t get them! The new inner fenders on my FJ are identical to the ones that failed. I was told I would have the Revised Version! :mecry:

#30 ·
Hi-

Been reading this forum for about 6 months and have followed it ever since I found bulges in my 2007 FJ. This is my forst post!

By the time the factory rep saw my truck about 3 months ago, it had cracked on the drivers side & he said that I should wait until sometime in July to call the dealer and set up the repair. He said they'll have a new part with an extra brace built into it to re-inforce the area and I should definately wait until that new part with the brace is manufactured.

I planned on calling in a couple of weeks, but maybe I'll wait a little longer now. I've got 23-k & another year and a half until 3 years is up.

This sucks! The pics I've seen of repairs looks pretty in depth. Who wants a local hack "making" the new parts "fit"!? Then in 3 years you get to replace it again on your dime due to rust. Can't wait. Shoulda stuck with Honda's (my first Toyota here).:crbaby:

#31 ·
Hi-
Shoulda stuck with Honda's (my first Toyota here).:crbaby:
I didn't know they offered off road mods for the Honda Element. :rofl:

(just teasing.....my family was trying to talk me into that instead of an FJ due to the can hose out factor) but I was like......uhh yah....but it will also get STUCK out in the desert.

#32 ·
Sorry Boys! My rig was left taken apart for 6 weeks while I was put in a rental. The minute the new piece came, I told them to get to work ASAP. I was working and had no opportunity to go down there to take pictures.

#34 ·
This is an involved repair with R&R, cutting, realigning new sheet metal, welding, and painting. the old adage "don't try this at home" applies unless you have significant knowledge of body repair and the right tools.

#36 ·
I mean for real how could they not address this problem. I'm sure its not to difficult to fix at production. They like to blame it on over-sized tires, after market bumpers, jumping rigs and whoops, but plain and simple it shouldn't happen, and in Relics case twice in 11,000 mile. I'd realy like to tear my front end apart to re-inforce this before it happens but it don't seem likely.

Yo Relic are you going to do any thing to prevent this again, I've heard of people putting extra sheet metal? Got any good ideas?

#37 ·
My FJ has a 3" lift, skids (slightly used), a Warn bumper and winch, big tires and thats just the little stuff. Toyota has not given me any greif about repairing the inner fenders. The sky is not falling! I don't like having to repair my new FJ, but Toyota has fixed the truck. Again. I do have some ideas about how to proceed but for now it's wait and wait alittle more. Stay tuned!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.