Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo fellow fj enthuiasts. I've been reading your forum for some time now and have decided to jump in with my two cents so here goes. I had a sunroof installer friend check out the fj at sema. Like everyone has reported yes the rear windows are fixed. However I doubt this may be the case when they come out into production and I'll tell you why. Check out the autospies sema pictures. Go to page 23. Now look at the picture of the driver side doors open. As you will see there is a tube shown that takes some wires from the frame of the truck to the rear door. Ok what wire could be in there? I can only think of 3 possibilities:

A) speaker wires, clearly no speaker shown in the rear door

B) Side air bag wires, I got no clue here. I thought they dropped down out of the roof, not from out of the door

C) Wires for rear power windows at production.

I think it's option C. If they don't then a lot of back seat folks will be gasping for fresh air with only front windows down and no sunroof. Toyota are you liastening? Don't be stupid. Build it with windows that open up and let fresh air in. Otherwise lots of folks will buy elsewhere.

Some months ago I spoke with a Toyota rep at their 1-800-give no info number. This guy was VERY knowledgeable. Of cource I grilled him about the rear windows and I'm certain he could not not say anything. However I got the feeling he knew some inside scoop. Without revealing any secrets he did tell me not to be surprised if Toyoya had some last minute surprises when the truck comes out into production. He also hinted that it may come out late December or early January.

Fyi I've had a deposit with a dealer for some months now along with a written agreement to sell it to me at msrp. He told me a about 10 days ago that his Toyota district rep had spoken to him that day. He was told he'd be able to do his order "preference" around the end of November and that he'd get his first truck (mine) around the end of December. He also said yes I would be able to order it made with the options I wanted and not just get what ever they ship to him. Let's hope so. I'll let ya'll know later on next week if this really happens.

Oh and the sunroof installer said there are ribs in the roof and a sunroof may not be possible. Also I've read there are speakers inside on the roof which also make it not possible. Not certain if all stereo systems come with these speakers.

Now I'd like to know some info and to see some pictures. Does anyone know if the front seats have inboard armrests? It "looks like" one is shown in the above mentioned Autospies picture and it looks like it's only on the drivers side. Does anyone know if they are on both front seats and can anyone send pictures of these armrests?

I'd like to know about the rear quarter wrap around windows. Do they really wrap around from the inside and does any one have pictures taken from the inside they could share? Please send pictures.

Regarding price I'd bet 22 for a base 2wd and 27-28 for a loaded up 4x4. Afterall the truck comes with no carpet, no leather, black wheels and the target buyer is the younger generation that doesn't make much money. All this should spell inexpensive.

Sorry for the long first message but I just wanted to make certain I covered all the bases. Happy trails folks!!!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I can't say what the wiring harness is for but I don't think the rear windows are going to roll down, as much as we'd like for them to. Check out this side view:
http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/auto-show-photos.asp?imageId=16182&galleryId=30
Even if they were mechanized there isn't enough room in the lower have of the door to receive the window. I guess it could come down half way. I'm not positive but I don't think they roll down in the Honda Element suicide doors either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There was an armrest on the drivers seat at Ojai and SEMA. The passenger seat has a plastic plate over the area where it would attach to the seat, so i'm assuming that it is an optional armrest on the passenger side.

I went over the access doors with a fine tooth comb at Ojai. Those windows do not move. But it sure looks like they would. I think the only way they open is with a brick!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well let's just hope my wild speculation is correct. cross fingers. and what about the rear wrap around windows and pictures. thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was speaking to the General Manager at a local dealership Wednesday. He is expecting Toyota's release of prices and detailed information, and the ability to place orders to occur between November 30 and December 2. He also stated that they are supposed to receive the first FJ Cruiser near the end of December, but that the cruiser they receive is supposed to be a display / test drive only vehicle that they are not supposed to sell. His estimate about me actually receiving a vehicle for purchase is ~ 60 days after placing an order.

Don't know if his info is correct, but he seemed pretty straight and other information he supplied lined up with what I've heard here and other places.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pancho said:
I can't say what the wiring harness is for but I don't think the rear windows are going to roll down, as much as we'd like for them to. Check out this side view:
http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/auto-show-photos.asp?imageId=16182&galleryId=30
Even if they were mechanized there isn't enough room in the lower have of the door to receive the window. I guess it could come down half way. I'm not positive but I don't think they roll down in the Honda Element suicide doors either.
They better man, I can't imagine getting this thing if its all sealed up, what's the point, It's not like they're being used to promote visability, at least the could provide some airflow. For whatever reason it just hit me, this could be a major drawback if my passengers cant get a good view or fresh air. What about the dogs after the beach? I'd have to leave the back door window up if I wanted any kind of airflow.---Lets hope they go down at least half-way.-----Damn this might screw it all up-------You know they gotta come down. Right?---I mean how the hell...?---I'll stop-------The window will come down! DOWN TOYOTA!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here is the image yoyoyo is talking about, blown up, with the mystery hose circled:

Another possibility is that it is for power locks.

I put it at 50/50 that the rear windows go down at least partially.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
232 Posts
My wife has a Honda Element and the rear windows only swing open about 2" and use an over-center latch snap them open or closed. We have the rear seats out of the car about 90% of the time, so it is no big deal for us, but I would not like to take a long trip in the back seats. With the front seats moved up, the Element has 6 1/2 feet of space and is a flat floor. How can the FJ have a shorter floor than an Element?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I say the next time there is a showing of the FJ one crazy person should go in and pop off the plastic panneling on the back door and get a glance at whats in there.
-Rich-

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
praetorian said:
Hey cheazhd, how useful are the wrap arounds? Can you actually see anything out of them?

Cheers,
prat
hey cheazhd am hopeing you got pictures from the inside, or the insde scoop on the inside. thanks pal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
praetorian said:
Hey cheazhd, how useful are the wrap arounds? Can you actually see anything out of them?
They only wrap around on the outside. They are just framed side windows from the inside. Kind of a bummer; would have been neat...

Jason

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well looking at the pics agian i can think of two reasons why there is the wire tube going into the door.
1. Locks on the doors
2. The seatbelts are in those doors.

So maybe the seatbelts need a sensor to lock up, or the doors have a lock sensor to make sure its closed.
-Rich-

·
Registered
378 Posts
My dog needs a place to stick his head out the window. :eek: If the rear window is staionary, is it possible to install functional windows? Meaning is there room for the window to go down into the door channel???
If so, I can rig something up ...

·
Registered
294 Posts
praetorian said:

Cheers,
prat
the interior panels are molded so there is a better line of sight out the wrap arounds. The rearward vision is better than I thought, but its not like my Jeep with the top down, that is for sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts