Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking sensors have been out of commission for about 6 months. I don't know why, they just stopped functioning. All they do is sound a single tone. I have them turned off right now. What could be the problem? Is it a computer issue where I can just take it to the dealer and have them reprogram it? Or is it the sensor itself that needs replacing? Wire come loose? I have no clue where to start but I do know that I'm a poor high school senior who doesn't want to pay the dealer an arm and a leg. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maybe PM the OP from this thread?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ical/97612-parking-assist-sensor-problem.html

They only start beeping like 3 feet or less from ana object (i know you probably know and i dont think your dumb just doesnt hurt to mention it). If you think being poor in highschool is bad just wait my friend your in for a rude awakening come university if that is the route you are headed down (coming from a very broke uni student).

·
Admin
7,661 Posts
Mine have failed finally too.... too many times sliding down off a rock ledge. :lol:

Reactions: Curtis-BW-Guenther

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think I would forget about technology and learn to back up. Really this is the first vehicle I have ever owned with these things and I almost hit my garage wall because I was trying to figure out what the hell was beeping. One of my grand-kids turned it on and I didn't know it. I looked down to try and figure it out and when I looked into the mirror I slammed on the brakes just before I hit the wall. I turned it off and never again came close to the wall.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Backup sensors are definitely a great help when used in combination with common sense and ones own eyes. The FJ design, especially when lifted, doesn't offer the best outward visibility.

·
Admin
7,661 Posts
I liked them... I could put my back bumper within inches of the car behind me when parking. I'm good at knowing my vehicle dimensions, but having the sonar sure helped when I couldn't see the dinky little car behind me in my side mirrors and/or behind my spare tire.
:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know how to back up but thanks for your concern. It's not about knowing how to back up, it's about resale value. I can back up just as well as anyone else, it's thinking in the long run for when I go to sell or trade the FJ. I want to get the most money for my sale or trade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe PM the OP from this thread?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ical/97612-parking-assist-sensor-problem.html

They only start beeping like 3 feet or less from ana object (i know you probably know and i dont think your dumb just doesnt hurt to mention it). If you think being poor in highschool is bad just wait my friend your in for a rude awakening come university if that is the route you are headed down (coming from a very broke uni student).
Lol I can only imagine. At least I pay for most of my things, unlike some of the spoiled brats I see every day rolling in 2014 lifted Chevys. My parents require me to pay 1/2 the monthly payment on the FJ. If I don't pay it, they do and I'm grounded for a month. It's fair IMO. And yes, I plan on attending University of Arkansas with academic scholarships.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Lol I can only imagine. At least I pay for most of my things, unlike some of the spoiled brats I see every day rolling in 2014 lifted Chevys. My parents require me to pay 1/2 the monthly payment on the FJ. If I don't pay it, they do and I'm grounded for a month. It's fair IMO. And yes, I plan on attending University of Arkansas with academic scholarships.
Glad to hear, sounds like we got a smart one on our hands here "academic scholarships" thats hard for me to even say. :jester:

Reactions: andrewhcook

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know how to back up but thanks for your concern. It's not about knowing how to back up, it's about resale value. I can back up just as well as anyone else, it's thinking in the long run for when I go to sell or trade the FJ. I want to get the most money for my sale or trade.
Well resale value is one thing you should and should not worry about. You keep it as clean and in working order as you can, but at the same time you drive it and don't worry about it. If you are trading up to another vehicle at a dealer you will only get so much no matter the working order of the little things, as long as no big dents busted windows etc you will get the most. If you are planing on selling it to another person then that person already knows what to look for and what the FJ is all about so they will give you close to what you ask. My advice is to drive it enjoy it because in the end you are paying for it. Make it yours and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
It is at this stage in life that you take a step forward in increasing your knowledge of working on cars. (we all started somewhere) Check for a fuse or simply get underneath your rig and check for loose wires. All it takes is a turn of the wrench, a zip tie or some duct tape.

Good luck finding the issue. It is probably something simple.

·
Registered
396 Posts
not to toss a flame but I have a question about the fuse. If the LED in the switch lights and they beep once wouldn't that mean the fuse is good? Or are the switches all feed from the same power source? Where does the beep come from? Is it a relay engaging causing the beep? Thanks

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I had this issue once after I had my rig detailed. I cleaned the sensors with a little rubbing alcohol and that solved the problem - I guess there was excess wax on the sensor :cheers:

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
Yea try just dousing them with CRC electrical cleaner spray and let them dry. If everything is connected properly, they should be golden again

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
"Parking Sensors"?

Did I accidentally stumble on to the Camry forum??? :surprise

JK... However on the trails, one learns to rely on eyesight more than technology for such things. Just my experience....

As one should do in the mall parking lot or the trail to a great sunset, always have an exit strategy planned before you commit to the entry.

·
Admin
7,661 Posts
"Parking Sensors"?

Did I accidentally stumble on to the Camry forum??? :surprise

JK... However on the trails, one learns to rely on eyesight more than technology for such things. Just my experience....

As one should do in the mall parking lot or the trail to a great sunset, always have an exit strategy planned before you commit to the entry.
Well said

I turned mine off once I got onto the trail typically... with being in the bush a few strands of grass would set it off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well resale value is one thing you should and should not worry about. You keep it as clean and in working order as you can, but at the same time you drive it and don't worry about it. If you are trading up to another vehicle at a dealer you will only get so much no matter the working order of the little things, as long as no big dents busted windows etc you will get the most. If you are planing on selling it to another person then that person already knows what to look for and what the FJ is all about so they will give you close to what you ask. My advice is to drive it enjoy it because in the end you are paying for it. Make it yours and enjoy it.

Very true. I didn't mean to be a smart-aleck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
396 Posts
Very true. I didn't mean to be a smart-aleck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not taken that way. I have bought a lot of used vehicles over my 30+ years of buying. I am always surprised at the number I find that look like they have not been driven. When I started buying new ones (after my 3 daughters left the nest) I figured I bought it I am going to use it and not worry about the next person. I keep them up and clean but if something happens it happens. Makes me sleep easier at night well that and beer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts