Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had halo non-HID projector headlights now for about 2 yrs now. the other day i noticed one of my headlights out. i have PIAA extreme force 12v-65watt bulbs in. i then took the rubber cap off to access the bulbs then the bulb suddenly turned on. i noticed that one side of the pinhole of the female side looked almost burnt causing the plastic around it to crumble. the plastic surrounding the other side of the pin (female) was fine. i checked the other headlight and the same thing is happening. this happening to any you guys out there? what can the cause be? cheap chinese material?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same headlights on the way. Was your problem with the plug? Do you get anyone flashing you now that you have these projectors?

·
Registered
470 Posts
65watt bulbs? I have the projector halos, but I havent gotten my HIDs in yet. Afaik the bulbs I currently have are 55watt.

i'm thinking yours run too hot, mine haven't melted anything...yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a sure sign of a loose connector. This could be a loose crimp between the connector and the wire, or a female connector as it attaches to the light. Loose connections will generate enough heat to do exactly what you've described. The fact that only one of the two conductors is showing these signs, specifically excludes the heat of the lamp as being the cause.

Three things I'd recommend.

Solder the conductor to the terminal. This will illuminate that possibility.
Apply a conductive paste (preferably high temp) to the terminal as it clamps/attaches to the light.
Very carefully tighten the connector springs (the curled left and right side tubes) so that the connector holds ontol the light bulb tighter.

Of course, the 65watt bulbs aren't helping anything either.

·
Registered
188 Posts
PIAA light bulbs are CRAP!!!!!!! I went through about 3 pairs before saying F em!! I kept blowing the H-3 bulbs that were in a set of the 004xt's I had. I put a set of 55w regular H-3 bulbs in and never had another problem with them til I cracked the lens to the 004xt's...grrrrr

Best bulb for the money and hasn't cause me any problems yet and Ive been running em for the last year is the HELLA H-4 100w/80w bulbs. You can get these at 4wheelparts.com for $6.99 a piece!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts