Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a '14 FJ with a clean car fax and 58,xxx miles. the dealer has come down to just over $28k and thinking of pulling the trigger. I have gone back and forth on whether to buy completely stock or an FJ with more add on's. This one has the wheels painted (love the look but worried how they will hold up), front bumper guard and running boards, not my favorite type of running boards but I can see how one could go crazy adding custom items after purchase. I have another that I have been talking on as well with custom wheels and less miles, but I can't get them under $31k.

Question is if I decide to add an aftermarket roof rack, do the FJ's already have the holes / mounting areas laid out for an easy install?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Custom this, that, and the other really doesn't add to the value of the vehicle. Indeed, some people (like me) see it as a negative.

All things being equal I would go with the one with fewer miles (as long as it's an attractive color).

Charlie

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,420 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both vehicles sound like fair prices. As said the added bits add no value and sound like they're going to need to come off if you want to use your FJ off-road. Added parts are only of value if they are what you want.

check out JB's guide here...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/663274-jimmy-buffetts-complete-guide-buying-selling-fj-cruiser.html
Thanks for the comment Zero. JB's guide is great. I just need to make the call on one of these, unfortunately I am under a little bit of time crunch so I will have to make a decision with what is on the market at this time. posted below are the two vehicles I am talking on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am also in the market. Looking at MAGMA 13 or SandStorm/Quicksand. Prices, albeit seem to be holding, there are quite a few dealers with 3-4 FJ in stock, that can't move them. With gas prices where they are, it definitely is a buyers market.

My issue has been, too many surface rust, the minute I ask dealer for pics of underneath. Also I am looking for stock. I don't want other people's mods, and I want 1 owner only.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,420 Posts
Thanks for the comment Zero. JB's guide is great. I just need to make the call on one of these, unfortunately I am under a little bit of time crunch so I will have to make a decision with what is on the market at this time. posted below are the two vehicles I am talking on.
Well if you want to off-road it go with the Iceberg one, wheels on the cement look like the OE wheels badly painted from that shot? (At first I thought they were larger than OE fit) the Iceberg looks most original...just my opinion...they’re both FJ’s so either can be bad!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if you want to off-road it go with the Iceberg one, wheels on the cement look like the OE wheels badly painted from that shot? (At first I thought they were larger than OE fit) the Iceberg looks most original...just my opinion...they’re both FJ’s so either can be bad!
I had the guy send me some close up photos on the wheels as that is a concern of mine as well. The original photo was kind of dark

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd go with the cement one as I can't stand white vehicles, but that's me.

If you like them both I'd go with the one with fewer miles or cheaper price. If that's the cement one the addons you don't like can always be removed and sold or scrapped. Same with the painted wheels, they can be redone, sold, or use them as winter wheels and get some aftermarket for summer use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go with the cement one as I can't stand white vehicles, but that's me.

If you like them both I'd go with the one with fewer miles or cheaper price. If that's the cement one the addons you don't like can always be removed and sold or scrapped. Same with the painted wheels, they can be redone, sold, or use them as winter wheels and get some aftermarket for summer use.
Yeah, unfortunately the lower miles go with the higher price as expected. I can get a deal done a '14 with 58k miles for $4500 less than a toy certified '14 with 39,000 miles. I have been on the fence but I think I am going to go with the lessor priced one. If I don't like it, I can also change what I don't like or sell it. The other is stretching where I wanted to go with the budget

·
Registered
139 Posts
As has been said, wheels can be changed, running boards can be removed. If the difference is really $4500 I definitely would go with the Cement. I prefer that color anyway.

Just be sure it is 4 wheel drive. We've had some buyers make a bad assumption.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I would not be afraid of one having mods, as long as you like them; plus can save you a lot of money that you won't have to spend later!I
I would not like "running boards with steps", unless you plan to never go off road. Before pulling the trigger on any, make sure it has
a clean CarFax AND AutoChek, as one often finds things the other doesn't. Would have the most thorough inspection done by a Toyota Dealer (if if seller is) "Certified Pre Owned is probably most thorough and though your FJ wouldn't qualify due to time or mileage, is best way to determine real condition. Should be about $125 and pay for inspection yourself, so dealer is working for you, not seller and report is sent to you. If any major repairs needed, negotiate a lower price to cover them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyones insight. I switched gears and pulled the trigger on a 2013 with 58,000 miles Trail Team that I found last night. Flying in tomorrow to pick it up. It was not advertised as a Toyota Cert but we were slightly apart on the deal so I negotiated in Toyota Cert. I know it added to the cost, but it gave me level comfort I was willing to pay for. One owner vehicle, can't wait to pick it up!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Thanks for everyones insight. I switched gears and pulled the trigger on a 2013 with 58,000 miles Trail Team that I found last night. Flying in tomorrow to pick it up. It was not advertised as a Toyota Cert but we were slightly apart on the deal so I negotiated in Toyota Cert. I know it added to the cost, but it gave me level comfort I was willing to pay for. One owner vehicle, can't wait to pick it up!

Congrats. One of the best trail team colors

1 - 15 of 15 Posts