Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'd love to get some feedback on (possible) 2007 FJ issues. Mostly rear diff advice.

I purchased mine just over a year ago in WA and brought it back to Western CO. I love everything about it and want it to be primo for me and anyone else that may ever own it. 2007, auto, almost 96k miles, mostly stock with meaty KO2's. I baby it on the road but when I hit the dirt, anything goes.

I have the notorious transmission shutter. It doesn't really bother me. It starts around 40 mph and comes back in the higher 40 mph's. I just back off on the gas pedal for a sec and all is good. As long as nothing goes "pop" I'm ok living with it.

I also get all the dash warning lights lighting up on occasion. It lasts a day and then goes away for a couple weeks or month. Scans (AutoZone) have been all over the place (O2 sensor, etc.). I've been less than impressed with Toyota here on the Western Slope of CO, but I may need to get it to them for a better scan.

Other than that, she's a beast.

My big concerns -
  • Rear diff - some talk of faulty gears in the 2007 rear diff and possible failure.
  • Alternator - lots of talk about failing alternators (all years I believe). I have minimal power draw but may add a fridge, lighting, etc. someday.
Anything else you guys have experienced that could help others out?

I'm ok in investing in some upgrades on old Betsy, I just wanted to get some opinions on whether I should just drive it till something breaks (if it ever does), or if you experienced FJ guys and girls recommend addressing known potential issues before they possibly break.

Thanks in advance and if anyone ever needs anything on the Western Slope/ CO/UT border, send me a msg anytime.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
IMO.....If it anit broke....don't "fix" it.

As for the diff......I would be very surprised if after 13-14 years there is still an FJ out there with a faulty gear set.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Exactly, I think the diff thing has been "blown" out of proportion and is no longer a concern.

The alternators commonly fail at around 105-130k miles from what I've seen. If you would like to perform some preventative maintenance and install a new one it wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That’s pretty low miles fir a 2007. I have a 2008 I bought new with 197,000 on it. I just replaced the front wheel bearings a couple weeks ago. I looked at my records and over 197,000 miles I have replaced plugs once, brakes twice, alternator once (149k). Other than tires, oil and filters it has been trouble free. I am told I need to change lubricants in transmission and differentials. When I pulled CV axles some lube leaked out and it looked like new. So who knows.

Greg

·
Registered
238 Posts
We have a 2007 with around 125,000 miles, lots of that off-road. I have read about the weak rear diff, but I never got around to see if we have one of the weak ones. No problems yet! I don't think much about it.

We still have the original alternator. If I went to the trouble to take it out, I would likely take it to a good rebuilder or get an OEM - I have had poor luck with the car store stuff.

We have had two big issues - pack rats eating wiring and timing chain problems.

Rats... just keep them away if they are in your area. Timing chain - a piece of one of the chain guided broke off, traveled up and bent one of the cam reluctors - it seems that this is a very unusual event, and not something that could have been prevented by routine maintenance.

BTW, I kind of forgot to check the spark plugs - replaced for the first time at 120,000 miles!

I do carry an extra tie rod end, a front axle and a rear lower control arm - I have read that these are weak spots for the FJ, and items that the store nearest to the trailhead might not have in stock.

Drive the thing, do your scheduled maintenance, and know that you have a very dependable and capable truck!

Matt B

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
x2 what Mikey said, the diff issue was lack of heat treatment, so if it had been a bad one would have failed long ago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts