Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first FJ. It's a 2007 FJ 4x4 with some 60K miles.

It's also a 6spd manual. Does anyone have any thoughts if I should stick with auto or manual. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to either while off-roading?

I like manuals, but want to make sure if it's a good fit with my off road intentions.

Thanks for your help! I am looking forward to officially joining this great community very soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i love mine. i have a 08 TT edition 6spd manual. i love it offroad. if you happen to stall on a hill offroading you can puch the cluch cancel and start it in gear, and in 4low you will climb right up it without having to worry about rolling back. i also like the spead that i get from the manual. my buddy timed it and it was like 5.56 seconds 0-60 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love mine. i have a 08 TT edition 6spd manual. i love it offroad. if you happen to stall on a hill offroading you can puch the cluch cancel and start it in gear, and in 4low you will climb right up it without having to worry about rolling back. i also like the spead that i get from the manual. my buddy timed it and it was like 5.56 seconds 0-60 mph.
Hah! Great! When I test drove it today, it definitely felt more 'peppy' than I expected. Sounds good too.

Just wasn't sure if there were those who got the manual, took it off road and regretted it. I am glad to hear there is that clutch start button. I noticed that, but didn't know it's use.

This is the only manual FJ I've seen in my area, so I'm very tempted to get it asap.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just so you know - the manual is FULL-TIME 4wd. The Automatics are the part-time 4wd. The manual uses a Torsen center diff, which I believe is a great feature. When the trails get rough, you simply lock the center diff, and the rear if you really need it.

And I'll add - I think full-time is the way to go.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just so you know - the manual is FULL-TIME 4wd. The Automatics are the part-time 4wd. The manual uses a Torsen center diff, which I believe is a great feature. When the trails get rough, you simply lock the center diff, and the rear if you really need it.

And I'll add - I think full-time is the way to go.:bigthumb:
This I did not know. Fantastic.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I have a manual but really if you're going to off-road a lot the auto has some advantages. It's easier to finesse over obstacles (without burning a clutch). The full-time 4wd also negates any mileage advantage the manual would normally have.

Don't get me wrong, I like manuals too and I don't think you'll be unhappy with the FJ 6-spd but most hardcore off-roaders go with the auto I think.

·
Registered
180 Posts
just got my 07 about a month ago with a 6 spd. I refused to give in to manual. to me it made it more fun to drive and the awd/4wd in the snow is great. it actually seems to drive better in the snow without the center diff locked in. It doesn't seem to "push" around corners like a fwd car as it does in the 4wd mode. It's just me but I like the more "sporty" feel. And if you compare mpg's between the two I didn't even question it.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I really like my 6MT. No complaints on or off road. It does well in 4Lo just puttering over stuff. Plus you get full time 4X4.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also have a 6-speed Fj. I think its an advantage in down hill situations do to engine breaking, but as the course becomes more technical the constant use of the clutch & brake etc. could be taxing. I love this rig and would love it even more with a multi- speed transfer case . . . I would def. prefer a lower geared transfer case to slow the vehicle and control the speed at witch I approach and descend an obstacle . . . If at all possible I would recommend driving (in the type of off-roading environment you prefer) both automatic/manual versions before making your decision . . . I think Lower Gearing is more critical with a manual vrs. an automatic (due to the torque multiplication of the torque converter) Good Luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a little confused on the all time 4wd info for 6 speed MT..
I have the 6 speed MT, and it came with a shift lever to go from 4WD-high to 2wd, and also to 4WD-low and you are not supposed to go over 60mph in 4WD-high. (so I slip into 2wd for interstate on nice days).
So can you guys explain how you are getting 4WD all the time? (Are you staying in 4WD-high and not going fast or what?).
Thanks for any info you can provide, just trying to make sense of it all.
;)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'm a little confused on the all time 4wd info for 6 speed MT..
I have the 6 speed MT, and it came with a shift lever to go from 4WD-high to 2wd, and also to 4WD-low and you are not supposed to go over 60mph in 4WD-high. (so I slip into 2wd for interstate on nice days).
So can you guys explain how you are getting 4WD all the time? (Are you staying in 4WD-high and not going fast or what?).
Thanks for any info you can provide, just trying to make sense of it all.
;)
6MT is full time 4WD period :) Autos have an option for 4x2 or 4x4.
Your transfer case have additional lower settings for 4X4 but does not allow you to switch to 4X2

To OP:
Each (AT or 6MT) has its advantages and disadvantage, AT sometimes is easier to manage, lets say it`s more user friendly :) MT is better in the snow in my opinion, a lot more control. All boils down to personal preferences...

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
love my MT but each have their advantage... all depends on your wheeling style. good luck to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts