Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Thoughts on this 2012 FJ TRD

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SilvFx 
#1 ·

He said he'd be willing to go down on the price. The low mileage is impressive.I think I can haggle the price down. So the 2012 TRD came in 2wd and 4wd, I forgot to ask the owner. I actually offered this guy 25k, and he can keep and resale the original TRD tires, that would be great if I can get it for 25kI think. I would absolutely any advice and tips, been researching FJs for a couple months, but a newbie when it comes to cars.

#2 ·
That one is 4wd, you can see in the photos the 4wd selector. The 2wd models have an over size coin holder in place of the 4wd shifter. I have the same bumper on my FJ. Interesting what they did with the headlights & grille, not sure how I feel about that. At the price point you’re willing to pay, have a mechanic look at it to make sure everything is safe and sound.

#3 ·
Must be the ultra rare Frange Jover edition. I frankly think its overpriced and you could find a stock Trail Teams edition in that price range. Or you can find a 2010-2012 in the 21-$25k range stock. And that grill conversion....nope. The idea of the FJ Cruiser is a throwback to the old FJ40s with the grill design. Why on earth would someone give it an overpriced range rover look.

Nerf bars on the side are awful and wont protect anything like rock sliders. They are likely mounted to the body and will cause big damage if you hit anything with them.

Pass...unless the price was so low that restoring to how it came from factory was still below market value. This thing is way above market value (all in my opinion)

#4 ·
p.s. I would rather have the original TRD wheels/tires than those he chose. Frankly any tire/wheel combination that sticks out to the flares and beyond, screams poorly selected components. Reminds me of the sh*t we used to do in the 70's with musclecars where you stuck on big mag wheels and tires that would go beyond the fenderwell. I just cant unsee it.

p.s. no mention of the suspension lift....which makes we think he took the cheap approach and through on a spacer lift or some other half-baked solution (with a winch and front bumper).

While low mileage, I think you are better off starting from clean, stock platform.

#6 ·
This has been super super helpful, I never really analyzed the bars on the side, but yea would need to change to more proper rock sliders. I oddly like the grill a bit, looks modern. But now having quite a bit of doubts about this posting. A spacer lift would be concerning. I really would like a 2010-14 TT or TTSE. Would prefer not to spend more than 28k, and mileages under 80k. There was a posting of 2012 army green TTSE on the forums w/ the owner calling it Fiona in Reno, NV. Close to me but the owner wouldn't waiver on 24k, had 70k miles, and seemed to be quite dinged. Maybe i need to stay patient and keep looking.

#7 ·
That Army Green TTSE was a 2011 not 2012. FYI.... Trail Teams Models:

2010 = Sandstorm
2011 = Army Green
2012 = Radiant Red
2013 = Cement
2014 = Cavalry Blue

Make sure you have read this:

My only advice on modified vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles) is that unless the owner has put on the EXACT aftermarket equipment that I would have picked, it may actually reduce the value to me, because I now have to spend time/money to remove what they put on and replace with factory equipment or the aftermarket stuff that I want. Typically those vehicles that will command the best price will be those that are closest to stock configuration (e.g. a clean platform to start with). Follow the advice provided by JimmyBuffett for your best success.

#10 ·
Even with the ugly front end, it seems like a nice truck. VERIFY IT HAS A LOCKER. It doesnt have the "Upgrade Packages"...only the convenience package, so it doesnt have the dash gauges, leather wheel, ect....also means unless it was ordered a-la-cart with the locker...it wont have it.

The TRD stickers are just that....applied by someone later on. Also check that exhaust....whether someone just chopped off the stock end, or its been modified....doesnt look quite right

If there is no rust underneath its a deal anywhere in that 25K range.

#11 ·
The TRD stickers are just that....applied by someone later on. ....
Not true. Toyota offered an optional TRD package on 2WD and 4WD models in 2012 which included the stickers. Check page 10 of the sales brochure:

Footnote 5 also says it requires the Convenience package.

That is not to say this person didnt add the TRD stickers after the fact, but just pointing out that Toyota did indeed offer a TRD package with stickers, TRD 16" wheels, and BFG AT KOs. In 2012 it was available for both 2WD and 4WD.

Frankly, I would look up how the VIN was equipped from the factory to confirm anything that someone tells you about a previously owned FJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.