Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum, but I am an AVID FJ Fan, and a serious buyer! AKA I've set my eyes on the FJ, and I'm not backing down.

I went to test drive a couple cars today, and looking for some expert advice.

My budget is about $19,000, and I'm looking to see if this is worth it.

The two I saw were 2007 FJ 100k miles, but it was definitely not in great shape. The gear shift had issues, engine made a bit of a funky sound and on top of that I think the previous owner was a farmer and it smelt like excuse my french horse sh**. Which really didn't make the experience great. So that was definitely a no go.

However, I test drove a 2013 FJ also 100k miles, and it was smooth, no issues (and smelt great :LOL:.) I know there is an age difference of 6 years, so that does make a massive difference.

Only recent change the car had was a new serpentine belt.

I took some pictures of the rust as I'm worried this will be a problem. I'm looking to be VERY INVOLVED IN MAINTAINING, however I don't have the biggest budget to put into repairs. Wanted to see what you guys think. It's being listed at $21,900.

NOTE: I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND

Underneath front of car:

Under side of car (bar frame)

Under back of car:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Underside of my 2013 FJ Trail Teams at 117k mi when I purchased it late 2019. One owner Arizona vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Underside of my 2013 FJ Trail Teams at 117k mi when I purchased it. One owner Arizona vehicle.
Dang, that looks good, I'm definitely thinking this rust is more than just surface rust.

I'm soo interested, but I want to make a good decision. I'm having a gut feeling I need to do more searching - this rust is too worrisome.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm soo interested, but I want to make a good decision. I'm having a gut feeling I need to do more searching - this rust is too worrisome.
I would run from that and buy one from a dry area. Either have it shipped or fly out and make a road trip out of it. I bought a flight to pickup mine the day after it surfaced online. Ive owned 20 vehicles and have several now worth more, and this is my all-time favorite. Read more about my FJ Story here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would run from that and buy one from a dry area. Either have it shipped or fly out and make a road trip out of it. I bought a flight to pickup mine the day after it surfaced online. Ive owned 20 vehicles and have several now worth more, and this is my all-time favorite. Read more about my FJ Story here.
Quick question, as that sounds like a good idea. How do you deal with plates? Lets say I buy one from Colorado, how do I deal with plates? Do I use temporary ones?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts