Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had to replace the threads in the frame for the bolts that hold the cat convetor protector tubes in place? I installed the Ricochet skids plate set which has bolts go through rock blocks, then the protector tube and then the rear of the trans skid and front of the transfer case skid then into the frame. After our Toyota mechanic removed the skids to check the transmission while in the shop for something else, they told me some bolts were bent and they could not reinstall unless I had new hardware. I ordered new hardware and told them I'd take care of it. After struggling with getting the bolts to take hold, I removed everything in the way and saw the threads through one of the holes just off center of the hole. I was able to move them almost back to center with a small screw driver but it was not completely attached to the frame any longer. The other three holes had no threads. I'm struggling now for a solution in getting the protector tubes and plates secured to the frame. I thought about drilling a bigger hole, adding an insert that would accommodate the M8 1.25 bolt that fits the current holes on the other hardware, but its' not like the frame is solid to where it would hold the insert. Just curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Before using any of the OEM frame bolt holes, be sure to use a tap and clean out the threads. I hit unused frame bolts with Amsoil MP HD to keep them rust and crud free.

Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The threads are gone. Read that the threads are welded to the frame before it’s closed so once you lose them you’re out of luck. There’s nothing to tap. Already tried. Somewhere along the way, the threads case loose when my mechanic removed the skid. Not cool. Took another look. One side for one hole lined up with open space on top of frame. If I can use a longer screw and secure at the top with a large washer or metal strip then should be good. The other side is solid at the top so thinking of drilling a hole there and using a washer at the top with another long screw. Not sure of another option with threads gone. I’m good about tapping before using and I used these before so I know they were there before. So much for the simple repair.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Are you talking about the crossmember that the trans sits on ?

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
If so that unbolts and you can get in there . I had mine break loose also If you are talking about the frame itself then the only other option is to install a rivnut

·
Registered
249 Posts
If so that unbolts and you can get in there . I had mine break loose also If you are talking about the frame itself then the only other option is to install a rivnut
This is the answer. Drill out the holes and install rivnuts. Been a long time since I had to solve this problem on my 2007, but rivnuts were the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I had a weld nut break off. I found an access hole on the frame. I then got a new nut and hot glued a wire to it. I fed it thru the access hole and managed to get the screw to it and get it tight. Then just pull hard on the wire and the hot glue will break off. It may take a couple tries but it does work Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I had a weld nut break off. I found an access hole on the frame. I then got a new nut and hot glued a wire to it. I fed it thru the access hole and managed to get the screw to it and get it tight. Then just pull hard on the wire and the hot glue will break off. It may take a couple tries but it does work Good Luck :)
And i am sure that would make removing it so much fun if you ever needed to .

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
And i am sure that would make removing it so much fun if you ever needed to .
I actually had to remove it once and it didn`t give me any trouble. Maybe I got lucky. I also had to replace the nut and did the hot glue thing again and it worked just fine :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips. It is the cross member for the trans. The bar itself is fine...it's just the holes used for the cat covertor protector tubes that are the problem. I like the rivnut suggestion. Could easily drill the hole and insert one assuming I get the right tool. That would probably be the cleanest solution that most closely mirrors the original. These four bolts are the final ones to install when putting the skids back on. Turned the "knock this out in the next hour" project this morning into a day of wrestling and problem solving. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
All 4 of mine popped loose on the cross member . I think its from the skid hitting rocks . Rivnuts will work for sure . I just bought a fancy rivnut tool ask me how i know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. Yeah my skids took a beating. This all started when the skids has to be removed because the started needed replacing because I submerged it in deep muddy water. Major cleanup. Been a long month.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Great opportunity for some sound deadening application. At first I was concerned about the additional material hampering cleanup. Basically it is aluminum and sticky rubber. If it is applied properly, no cleaning issues.

When we first moved to Alabama and went wheeling... The Mrs (who does NOT wash vehicles) goaded me into driving through some red mud. Pure clay! Welcome to Alabama! Pressure washer got a good workout and five years later, Im still cleaning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up replacing all the fabric under the liner with neoprene rubber with some fabric in the tricky spots.

learned my lesson about super deep mud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts