Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody came up with a solution for installing a hand throttle or a electronic means of controlling idle speed? There are so many smart and talented members here that i was hoping someone was workin on it. Thanks in advance, and keep wheelin!!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the Slee system work with the FJs drive by wire throttle system? If I understand the previous threads on the subject, you cant just bypass the throttle pedal, it will "upset" the computer. That does make me think though- could it be possible to run a pull cable that is routed to the floor, and pull the actual pedal down just like it would if you had your foot on the pedal? Any input on the idea?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
My first thought is Why? What is the application, help me better understand.

BirdMan

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My first thought is Why? What is the application, help me better understand.

BirdMan
This is "needed" only for the manuals - three pedals; two feet.

And before anyone says, "Don't be a ($&%y, just drive". It can be useful - regardless of how skilled anyone is, there are times (really only on rocks) that easing up (foot on throttle) without rolling back (foot on brake) can be tough on the clutch. And yes, there are times when the clutch is in - and yes the goal is not touch the clutch once it's out... but if you drive a stick, you know it happens.

I put a hand throttle on my last CJ - very easy on a mechanical set up... simply mounted a bike brake lever and cable to the shifter... ran the cable to the carb'. It worked pretty well... till the cable snapped ;)

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
This is "needed" only for the manuals - three pedals; two feet.

AHHH, thanks. That never entered my mind, been driving auto's for way too long I guess.:cheers:

BirdMan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 6MT and feel that i could do better and drive smoother if i could bump up the idle a few hundred rpm when i am doin the tight technical stuff. My feet seem to be busy with the 2 left pedles. I try not to use the clutch when creepin, but i dont have a crawler box yet, so i use a heavy break foot to crawl, that leads to alot of stalls (gotta love the the clutch start cancel!) I know it has been talked about before, i was just hopin some body came up with sumthin.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I have been planning on doing one, very basic. All you will need to do is drill a hole through the floorboard, run a bike brake cable to the bottom of the gas pedal and then run the cable up th the stick shift with a thumb lever on it. I got all the peices I just havn't hadd the time to try it out. I will let ya know if I get it done this weekend and the effectiveness of it. there might be a fancier way to tap into the electronics of it with a rheostat but I think the simple cable method should do just fine. Copywright and patent as of this post. lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds exactly like what i had in mind, ecept i was goin to run the cable to the dash, i dont want it gettin in the way during daily driving. i would like a cool electronic system to interface the CANbus system, like Off Road Engineering has for other aplications, but i probably couldnt aford it anyway. let me know how it turned out, i would love the details if u dont mind. :clap:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
no prob, my theory of going under the floor is A) it's going to go down inside the shifter boot which will lead to the underside, and B) it will be easy to brace from the back side of the floorboard using a throttle cable seat off of my harley carb. And one last thought there will be enough loose center cable to flex easily and not interfere with the regular foot pedal action.
We'll see. I'll post up a how to if successful. Hopefully this weekend like i said.:bigthumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts