Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very disappointed that Toyota is failing to address the issues out there with the throw-out bearing in the manual trans models. I myself have had my truck to the dealership 3 times for the problem and am going back today for the 4th time. I had the bearing replaced at about 27,000 miles because it was squealing and now at 32,000 it is already squealing again. Just yesterday the shop foreman looked at it. He told me the squealing was due to surface rust on the bearing where it contacts the pressure plate. He greased the bearing and said that should fix it. It did for about 12 hours! This morning it was just as bad as yesterday. I also mentioned the issue to one of the service writers and told her that it was not an isolated issue, that I had read on several of the fj owners forums that many other owners were having the same issue. The response I got was that you can't believe everything you read on the internet! I don't abuse my vehicles. I have never even buried this truck in the mud, so I know that this issue is not due to owner neglect. I bought this truck with the intention of driving it 250,000 miles like I did my 88' 4-runner. If I have to replace the throw-out bearing every 10,000 miles I will have to get rid of it and buy something else and it will not be another Toyota. Please help me Toyota, I love my truck and can't imagine anything else I want to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts

On a Tacoma website I've read that a Toyo service manager claims a new bellhousing design is being readied for release. It supposedly contains a steel TO bearing pilot shaft (instead of the lousy aluminum design).

BTW, Tacoma owners with the 6 speed stick (it uses the same tranny) have been putting up with this identical TO bearing silliness for over 5 years. It started with the '05 model and this new deign 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
a few people on the forums have reported that
the dealer had to replace the hole trans' to the
new design (steel shaft) since the company in
germany that produces the trans' had refused
to let toyota mech' dismantle the trans' to do
the bell housing replacement...

I have yet to see any images of the new part...

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I am very disappointed that Toyota is failing to address the issues out there with the throw-out bearing in the manual trans models.
Let's be clear - it's not Toyota that is "failing to address the issues", it is your dealer not actually addressing the issue or trying to milk it for the most repeated billable hours they can.

a few people on the forums have reported that
the dealer had to replace the hole trans' to the
new design (steel shaft) since the company in
germany that produces the trans' had refused
to let toyota mech' dismantle the trans' to do
the bell housing replacement...

I have yet to see any images of the new part...
I took mine in twice for the squeaky clutch. The first time it wouldn't squeak at the dealership - of course. If they can't identify the problem they can't fix it. There is a certain amount of process you must endure - it is a necessary evil. Believe me, I've been pulling vehicles apart and putting them back together literally since I was 8 and they still make me go through the process.

The second time I took it in it was squeaking constantly, they then knew there was defiantly a problem and called the Toyota rep. Once the rep looked at it he called for direction from corporate. That is where the remove and replace comes from. The Toyota rep was told to have the dealer remove and replace the entire trans because the manufacturer would not allow the transmission to be disassembled. That may have changed since then because technically only the bell housing, and throwout arm need to be replaced. The original pivot point for the throwout arm was aluminum with a steel pin. It is now steel on steel.

I can't take a picture of it because I'd have to take the trans out to see it.

As far as there being a TSB on it, I have not seen one but Toyota most defiantly knows about the problem and have replaced a number of Forum Members trans. In fact I sent a redacted copy of my invoice to SwiCago so he could show the new part numbers to his dealer and get his trans replaced also.

·
Registered
411 Posts
technically only the bell housing, and throwout arm need to be replaced. The original pivot point for the throwout arm was aluminum with a steel pin. It is now steel on steel.

I can't take a picture of it because I'd have to take the trans out to see it.

As far as there being a TSB on it, I have not seen one but Toyota most defiantly knows about the problem and have replaced a number of Forum Members trans. In fact I sent a redacted copy of my invoice to SwiCago so he could show the new part numbers to his dealer and get his trans replaced also.

Interesting news. I hadn't been aware of the fact that it is the pivot point of the arm that is the source of all this trouble. Is the failure the fact that the aluminum pivot wears out and ruins the lever action of the arm ?

Is it probable that all of these may fail at some point ?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts

Interesting news. I hadn't been aware of the fact that it is the pivot point of the arm that is the source of all this trouble. Is the failure the fact that the aluminum pivot wears out and ruins the lever action of the arm ?

Is it probable that all of these may fail at some point ?

Yes - as the pivot point wares out it puts uneven pressure on the arm and bearing causing excessive ware on both. When a clutch squeaks the first thing I think of is the bearing myself so it's no surprise to me that is where a mech will look first and yes they will see uneven waring. It is also conceivable that see rust will give a quick answer also. Not the right one but that's the difference between a quick fix and a quality mechanic in my book.

In fact I took it in thinking it was a problem with the bearing myself. The Mech at my Toyota dealer found the pivot point worn into the bell housing.

Therotically sure eventually they will all fail but then even the steel on steel will fail eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
My dealer didn't care about what your dealer was told. They called their own rep and were told only to change the bearing. :( So unless they secretly replace other stuff, I am sure mine will happen again.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
yup well i come to find out today when i went to scoop up my fj from service that my fly wheel and bearings are fked... so another day! hopefully they wont break again... my question is since toyota knew they had a problem with the clutches, do they install and improved clutch system or the same one that has problems?

·
Registered
411 Posts
And there is the rub right there. It is not Toyota but the dealer making the determination.

I'm still putting blame on Toyota for not issuing a recall or at least a TSB for an issue of this magnitude. If they're so aware of the issue, to the point that they've pinpointed the trouble to the pivot point being a lousy design, they should be recalling these things. Instead, we have dealerships doing whatever they feel like. If there was a cut and dry factory declaration, this would not happen. Now what happens when you have a beautifully maintained FJ with, say, 90k miles on it and this thing craps out ? Guess who's repair bill that's going to be.

·
Registered
411 Posts
yup well i come to find out today when i went to scoop up my fj from service that my fly wheel and bearings are fked... so another day! hopefully they wont break again... my question is since toyota knew they had a problem with the clutches, do they install and improved clutch system or the same one that has problems?

Yeah, and then we have this fact that the clutch problem is not the same problem as the throw-out bearing. These are 2 separate issues. Great ...... I guess it's a real crap shoot buying the stick shift. Chances seem pretty good that a major drivetrain failure will occur on a $30,000+ vehicle. In this day and age I'm astounded by this (especially from a Japanese manufacturer).

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts

I'm still putting blame on Toyota for not issuing a recall or at least a TSB for an issue of this magnitude. If they're so aware of the issue, to the point that they've pinpointed the trouble to the pivot point being a lousy design, they should be recalling these things. Instead, we have dealerships doing whatever they feel like. If there was a cut and dry factory declaration, this would not happen. Now what happens when you have a beautifully maintained FJ with, say, 90k miles on it and this thing craps out ? Guess who's repair bill that's going to be.

So here's the quirk in your statement - Toyota doesn't make the trans I think it's made by Mercedes but no one will tell me for sure. I do know the new trans was shipped out of Germany....

So [the manufacturer] would need to be the one doing the recall, service bulletin etc.

·
Registered
493 Posts
So here's the quirk in your statement - Toyota doesn't make the trans I think it's made by Mercedes but no one will tell me for sure. I do know the new trans was shipped out of Germany....

So [the manufacturer] would need to be the one doing the recall, service bulletin etc.
No , it would still be a toyota initiated campaign or TSB. You dont see Denso or CTS initiating a recall on thier own pedals right? Nope. Its Toyota's responsibility, regardless of who made the part for them.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I am very disappointed that Toyota is failing to address the issues out there
Kinda funny to read this now. There are many issues that Toyota (dealerships follow the recommendation of corporate, although it does vary by region) hasn't addressed. Fender bulges, cracked frames, ring and pinons, etc. Some have had luck replacing stuff and others haven't. Oh what a feeling!

Another strange thing is there are TSB's on the Tacoma that have the same probs on the FJ but they wont touch it. Check your timing cover. It's probably damp or leaking. Sorry you got an FJ not a Taco. Doesnt matter that it's the exact same engine of the same year. Pay up sukka.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just wanted to say that this has been an issue for a long time with Toyota. My '01 Tacoma had this problem and I remember being brought back to the head wrench in the service area at Toyota Carlsbad where he wanted to ask me some questions. Mostly they pertained to off-roading since my truck was lifted and armored up.

In the end they replaced the whole clutch for me under warranty due to uneven wear and "warbling" of the plate.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts