Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
So here's the quirk in your statement - Toyota doesn't make the trans I think it's made by Mercedes but no one will tell me for sure. I do know the new trans was shipped out of Germany....

So [the manufacturer] would need to be the one doing the recall, service bulletin etc.

No, it is the total responsibility of Toyota.

The tranny is made by Asin (a Japanese corporation which develops and produces components and systems for the automotive industry). It is based in Anjō, near Nagoya, Japan. Another important division is located in Okazaki. Other global locations: Headquarters for Europe : AW Europe & AW Technical Center Europe which is located in Braine l'Alleud (Belgium) for Research and Development and in Baudour (Belgium) for the re-manufacturing of automatic transmissions/transaxles and production of electronic products.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know the autos are made by Aisin AW, which is a Japanese company. From what I can tell the manuals may be made by them, as the model number of the transmission (RA61F) follows the naming convention of other Aisin manual transmissions made for Toyota. It has much in common with the RA60 and RA60F used in other Toyota light trucks. Perhaps the manufacturing aspect of production takes place in Germany?

See this Wiki page for examples: Toyota R transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See this page for other Toyota transmissions: Toyota Transmissions

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Perhaps the manufacturing aspect of production takes place in Germany?
Very possible in today's global manufacturing. I remember being surprised when the Tacoma first came out with a GM coolant system made in Canada :lol: The GM logo on the radiator cover and Made in Canada right under it. :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got mine done at about 18k. Def felt way better when I got it back, but they only replaced the pivot and TOB. I don't know if it was steel or aluminum though. If there is a steel version I definitely want it put in before my warranty runs out.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
When i went in the second time for a TO bearing they changed my tranny and i am 15,000 into it and it is still smooth and quiet. Toyota has a fix for this problem and the dealers know it, the dealers just aren't stepping up and performing the work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My FJ has the same damn problem! I have been dealing with this noise for 3 years now. They replaced the clutch and bearing at 20k but the noise was still there. They have greased it and lied to me and just keep f'n with me over this issue. I really am starting to hate Toyota. There is something wrong with some of these FJ's and other models. I hope Toyota figures this out because I'm tired of seeing the commercial "At Toyota our number 1 concern is safety and reliability" My Toy is 2007 FJ 6sp Ready for class action lawsuit. I know I'm only dreaming, but I can report it to the BBB.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I started hearing the chirping sound on my FJ a couple thousand miles ago. I had another problem with my automatic headlights not shutting off which I traced to the ignition switch harness which had been hacked before purchase with an aftermarket alarm the dealer installed and tried to charge me for in finance.
Took the truck in for both concerns and was told right in the service drive while the noise was doing it that it wasn't the throw out bearing and the pivot arm needed lube. I told the so called Toyota 25 yr. master tech it's obviously the bearing as the noise comes and goes in relation to the pedal.
left the truck for a day and was told another tech said it was indeed the throw out bearing and they would have to order it. Lights supposed to be fixed and extra alarm wires removed. Obviously the ignition harness wiring is damaged as the system will work if you grab the harness and wiggle it and try again. Removing wires isn't going to fix wires that have been damaged by "t" taps.
Come to pick it up and I check under the dash and "t" taps still on harness and light still don't shut off when remote is pressed to lock truck. WTF?
Make several calls next day to GM of dealer and haven't heard ANYTHING.
Tuesday I'm calling Toyota customer service. I may just have a better dealer replace the harness under the dash and fix the throwout bearing issue and I'll just take the first dealer to small claims for it.
Pretty ridiculous that dealers play these games.
BTW,
I'm an ASE Master technician and a 15 yr. Honda mechanic.
I currently work at another dealership in town so I'm not a typical customer type.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My FJ has the same damn problem! I have been dealing with this noise for 3 years now. They replaced the clutch and bearing at 20k but the noise was still there. They have greased it and lied to me and just keep f'n with me over this issue. I really am starting to hate Toyota. There is something wrong with some of these FJ's and other models. I hope Toyota figures this out because I'm tired of seeing the commercial "At Toyota our number 1 concern is safety and reliability" My Toy is 2007 FJ 6sp Ready for class action lawsuit. I know I'm only dreaming, but I can report it to the BBB.
I'd continue to bring it in and then after several attempts have Toyota buy it back under the lemon law. That's my plan if they can't fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could you copy that invoice to me? I just ordered the PDM sleeve kit for back up but I want to give the dealer a shot at doing a changeout first. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
what i find totally unbelievable is that toyota knew about this problem in the tacoma, ignored it, installed the same trans in the FJ cruiser, and continues to ignore it.

hopefully everyone can get theirs fixed under 60k miles.

i wasn't one of the lucky many whom toyota blamed for my grenading TO bearing, rather they just told me that there was nothing wrong with the car that was chirping like a bait shop cricket box and couldn't engage 3rd and 5th gear.

no, wait, they replaced a shift linkage and said it'd fix the problem.

when they switched out the transmission, under warranty, it was done secretively, as if i wasn't supposed to know WHY.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just a heads up on my situation. Called Toyota customer service and opened two case numbers for both problems. Was assured they would make it right but I haven't heard much since. That was last week. Nothing this week so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had my TOB replaced at 22k miles. Nothing other than the bearing was swapped. I'm thinking I will be back in another 22k miles to have the new bearing replaced.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just had my TOB replaced at 22k miles. Nothing other than the bearing was swapped. I'm thinking I will be back in another 22k miles to have the new bearing replaced.
I almost hate to say it, but if they only replaced the TO bearing, you'll probably be back in talking with the dealer in under 4k... Mine didn't last 2k after they replaced only the TO bearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's fine. Hopefully by then they will have the issue and repair sorted out. I'm going to send an email to toyota mentioning my concerns just to have it documented.

I won't even begin to talk about how flakey the clutch is.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lets parade our vehicles together___I'm tired of getting the "run around" from Toyota on this issue. I want to consider a Toyota crappy vehicle parade starting out near the Toyota dealership in Wilsonville Oregon up the I-5 to Seattle and ending near a large Toyota dealership in Seattle. Lets paint our vehicles up with slogans and see if we get get Toyota's attention to fix our trucks. Lets do it Sat August 10th starting at 0900 am. All FJ's and Tacomas with this issue or other toyotas effected If you are in reply back to these posts and spread the info to other blogs. If we all speak up together I know the attention may prompt Toyota to get on this for us.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts