Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Who has had trouble with the Throw-out Bearing on their 6 speed manual transmission ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Throwout Bearing Trouble on 6 speeds (lots of tech and pics contained within)

UPDATE : PDM now produces a kit for our trucks, thanks to everyone's participation in this thread. I thought I'd update this OP to say this thread has turned into a pretty decent tech & pictures piece. If you have a 6 speed stick, this is worth a look.

I think by now it's fairly obvious that Toyota has a problem with the RA61F 6 speed manual transmission. This has been well discussed on this board as well as the Tacoma World site (TSB for T/O Bearing Issue: - Page 5 - Tacoma World Forums). BTW, the Tacoma has the same transmission and has been having the exact same trouble since it's 2005 model year ! Besides the clutch disc problem, there is a more serious problem with the throwout bearing failing and ruining the pilot shaft it rides on. What makes this nasty is the fact that the pilot shaft is one piece with the entire bell housing (cast aluminum) and can't be replaced as a separate unit. You must have the entire bell housing replaced to properly repair the damage that results on the pilot shaft. That's not good news for owners who are no longer covered by warranty.

Is anyone interested in this approach to a repair :

PDM USA Tranquil Transmission Sleeve Kits

Unfortunately, PDM does not presently manufacture a kit for our trucks. However, I'm pretty sure I can convince them to produce one (hopefully helped out by this thread).

(NOTE : Based on the interest shown in this thread, PDM has agreed to start production of a kit for our trucks !):clap:

Also, I will mention here that on 12/22/2010, Toyota released a TSB #T-SB-0365-10 for the faulty TO Bearing problem.

Link to Toyota PDF document :

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/39379d1293636162-throwout-bearing-trouble-6-speeds-fj-clutch-bearing.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Had 50k on mine. '07 TRD. Got it replaced under warranty. Now it is back, but very intermittent at 67k.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a kit in the making for the 6 speed. A T-56 will replace it. This would be for 2 wheel drive only. I am on the waiting list for this kit.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There is a kit in the making for the 6 speed. A T-56 will replace it. This would be for 2 wheel drive only. I am on the waiting list for this kit.
Unfortunately that won't help 100% of the FJ owners with a 6-speed, since they are all AWD. But I could see where you X-Runner guys would definitely want a different route instead of just a TSB...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had this repair done and I'm just basically waiting for the problem to return. I'm sure it'll happen right outside of my warranty. That being said, I'd happily pay for a 3rd party part to permanently fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've had this repair done and I'm just basically waiting for the problem to return. I'm sure it'll happen right outside of my warranty. That being said, I'd happily pay for a 3rd party part to permanently fix the problem.
If you dealer is a good one then it won't. I had my second one replaced and it is lasting very well. Of course that required a transmission change out as changing the bearing is a temporary fix.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
@71roadrunner: Did you hear back from PDM?

This fix will only work if your quill has not been damaged correct? If it is has, you will need another transmission and bell housing?

On my 08 TT, I believe I can hear clutch chatter sometimes when I accelerate hard up hill. With the low miles I put on my rig per year, my standard warranty will expire before I reach the miles where this problem starts to be really noticeable.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
What are the symptoms of the problem?
When you have the clutch pedal pressed it is silent, but once you take your foot of the pedal you get a loud noise anywhere from a low growl to a higher pitched whine.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Mine has not chirpped in 4-5 days......how worried should I be? Is this the beging of the end?

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
How about intermittent squeaks on speed bumps or cornering?

Are these related to one of the Control Arms instead?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My FJ has the same damn problem! I have been dealing with this noise for 3 years now. They replaced the clutch and bearing at 20k but the noise was still there. They have greased it and lied to me and just keep f'n with me over this issue. I really am starting to hate Toyota. There is something wrong with some of these FJ's and other models. I hope Toyota figures this out because I'm tired of seeing the commercial "At Toyota our number 1 concern is safety and reliability" My Toy is 2007 FJ 6sp

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just sent them an email myself asking about it. Any idea on price or when they could be shipped out? My FJ is at the dealership RIGHT NOW for its second fix...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Crazy - I just emailed them earlier today asking if they were planning on building a kit for our vehicle.

Awesome news!
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
1 - 20 of 580 Posts