Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Who has had trouble with the Throw-out Bearing on their 6 speed manual transmission ?

• Total voters
541 - 560 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read the thread but damn I am so lost.. I am no mechanic and no where near.. I just need to know exactly what I need to replace haha.. my tacoma 6speed has been chriping since I got it at 50K and it is currently sitting at 80K. I will take my tacoma to replace the clutch. So please tell me what else I need to replace in order to stop that damn chirping sound that drives me crazy. I will alos buy the PDM kit but I am not sure if that's all I need to replace..

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Drivetrain warranty was good until 60000. You should have taken it back to the dealer. By the sleeve kit from URD, slave cylinder and pivot bolt from the dealer, I bought a Centerforce clutch kit from Summit Racing..

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Just curious . . . has anyone w/the throwout bearing problem ever experienced a "catastrophic failure" of the clutch as a result or were there enough warnings (other than the squeak) to prevent that by giving sufficient notice of a pending failure?

Reason I ask is that I've had the TOB squeak for over a year but (other than the squeak) I haven't noticed any problems w/the clutch. The FJ has over 91k miles on it and the clutch engages fine -- no slippage or any indication of a problem other than the squeak. In anticipation of doing the repair, I priced out the complete URD fix/upgrade package which would cost $1400 (including shipping) plus another $700 for the labor to install the parts (which I can't/don't want to do myself). About $2100 total. Given the cost and the lack of an apparent problem (other than the squeak), I've been procrastinating in doing the repair -- waiting for some indication that the clutch is actually "going out."

So, I'm just wondering . . . do ya'all think I'll get some indication of a pending clutch/TOB failure that will give me time to order the parts and get it repaired BEFORE a catastrophic tow-required failure or should I just bite the bullet and get the damn thing fixed?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Curious how you got $1400?
Yes there has been at least one catastrophic failure reported aka new tranny time..
That case the TOB disintegrated and destroyed stuff.
I did the URD Sleeve upgrade at 130k. That was my 3rd TOB.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Re: Throwout Bearing Trouble on 6 speeds (lots of tech and pics contained within)

If you had it for over a year, I say you need to take care of it very "SOON"
You do not want the bearing to grenade and leave you stranded some place.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1457748457.468053.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Curious how you got $1400?
URD Clutch/Flywheel Combo $780
plus URD Hydro Fix U Bearing Kit $380
Plus ARP Pressure Plate Bolts $25
Plus Rear Main Seal $43
Plus ARP Flysheel Bolts $55
Including Stage 3+ Clutch
Plus Heavy Flywheel $50
Plus Shipping $62

Total $1395

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Re: Throwout Bearing Trouble on 6 speeds (lots of tech and pics contained within)

If you had it for over a year, I say you need to take care of it very "SOON"
You do not want the bearing to grenade and leave you stranded some place.
View attachment 678065
Doesn't seem that the catastrophic failure is all that common. Like I said, there's no indication of any problem w/my clutch other than the squeak.

Did the people who experienced this have any warning (other than the squeak)?

Part of the reason I've been procrastinating (apart from the cost) is that I'm not sure I want to keep the FJ. Was thinking about trading in the FJ to buy or lease another Prius (it would be the 3rd) but I don't like the new 2016 Prius and don't want to buy a prior model that looks like one of the ones I already had. So, I was waiting to see what Hyundai's Iconiq looks, which may not come out until the fall, before making a final decision on a new hybrid.

In the meantime, it's a question of whether to throw another $2k at the FJ and, as a result, keep it.

It's not like I don't have options. I've AAA Premier service and can get a 200 mile tow for free -- actually used it once before -- and I've got 3 other vehicles -- 2 other cars and a truck -- that I can drive (see the list below my signature line) if the FJ goes down but I certainly would NOT like having to replace then entire tranny if a failed TOB destroys the one I've already got.

Decisions, decisions . . .

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2007 fj has 279,000 KM on it with the original clutch and has made the chirp since 2009. Annoying yes, is it going to break one day probably as nothing lasts forever :smile

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
My 2007 fj has 279,000 KM on it with the original clutch and has made the chirp since 2009. Annoying yes, is it going to break one day probably as nothing lasts forever :smile
Glad to hear there are outliers somewhere.
I would be curious as to your mileage city vs highway, and ambient temps in winter?
Mkne has consistently acted up mid winter.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

Doesn't seem that the catastrophic failure is all that common. Like I said, there's no indication of any problem w/my clutch other than the squeak.

Did the people who experienced this have any warning (other than the squeak)?

Part of the reason I've been procrastinating (apart from the cost) is that I'm not sure I want to keep the FJ. Was thinking about trading in the FJ to buy or lease another Prius (it would be the 3rd) but I don't like the new 2016 Prius and don't want to buy a prior model that looks like one of the ones I already had. So, I was waiting to see what Hyundai's Iconiq looks, which may not come out until the fall, before making a final decision on a new hybrid.

In the meantime, it's a question of whether to throw another $2k at the FJ and, as a result, keep it.

It's not like I don't have options. I've AAA Premier service and can get a 200 mile tow for free -- actually used it once before -- and I've got 3 other vehicles -- 2 other cars and a truck -- that I can drive (see the list below my signature line) if the FJ goes down but I certainly would NOT like having to replace then entire tranny if a failed TOB destroys the one I've already got.

Decisions, decisions . . .
If you would seriously trade your FJ for a Prius..........
Please do lol
If you like the FJ for it's offroading capabilities, then fix it and enjoy what it's designed to do.
I keep fixing mine because of that reason.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts

If you would seriously trade your FJ for a Prius..........
Please do lol
If you like the FJ for it's offroading capabilities, then fix it and enjoy what it's designed to do.
I keep fixing mine because of that reason.
I've owned/leased 2 Priuses in the past and I've owned 2 FJs. The FJ I have now is my 2nd. Heavily modded my 1st; have done nothing to the 2nd. Only thing I don't like is that the mileage sucks -- it appears, mainly because of FT 4x4 w/the 6MT vs the AT I had before.

Use the FJ as my daily driver and would have no problem trading my FJ for a Prius in order to save on gas, but the way it looks now, I'm going to keep the FJ and buy/lease a Bolt and/or a Tesla Model 3 which I will use as my daily driver instead, because I've decided that I do not like the new Gen 4 Prius all that much.

Put a deposit on a Model 3 but it's not going to be available until at least the end of 2017 and more likely sometime in 2018 for most people. The Bolt is supposed to be released at the end of this year. So, if I like it, I can drive it for the 1-2 year period while I'm waiting to see if I can get a Model 3. Will have to decide then whether I really want to buy/lease it or not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have read hundreds of pages on the forum and see conflicting information (opinions) on the urgency to have a chirping TOB fixed. I understand the plate can wear and the quill can even break off but has anyone driven for years and tens of thousands of miles with this annoying chirp? If so, any issues or catastrophic failures result from not fixing the TOB?

Disclaimer: I know it is best to address this issues (any issue) ASAP and I am planning to fix my chirping TOB next month (dealer wanted $1700, talked them down to $1400 which is still highway robbery). Due to the short delay in fixing my TOB issue I researched to see what worse case scenario would be and only found a lot of opinions and no "This happened to me due to not replacing the TOB when it started squeaking". Anyone have any stories?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I have read hundreds of pages on the forum and see conflicting information (opinions) on the urgency to have a chirping TOB fixed. I understand the plate can wear and the quill can even break off but has anyone driven for years and tens of thousands of miles with this annoying chirp? If so, any issues or catastrophic failures result from not fixing the TOB?

Disclaimer: I know it is best to address this issues (any issue) ASAP and I am planning to fix my chirping TOB next month (dealer wanted $1700, talked them down to $1400 which is still highway robbery). Due to the short delay in fixing my TOB issue I researched to see what worse case scenario would be and only found a lot of opinions and no "This happened to me due to not replacing the TOB when it started squeaking". Anyone have any stories?
All you have to do is go back ONE page in this thread and look at the posted pic....

·
Registered
54 Posts
All you have to do is go back ONE page in this thread and look at the posted pic....
Funny, somehow I totally missed that "one" page, thanks! I have read what seems like hundreds of posts on here covering the TOB issue.

One more question, how big of tires can put on the FJ without a BMC, hahahaha, JK. Seriously, thanks again. Im getting it fixed in May!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I recently replaced my clutch. The TOB started making noise sometime late last summer. I have driven it about 4000 miles with it making the noise. It would come and go, but had started to be making the noise more often and louder. At the time of replacement the vehicle had 202,000 miles. I used the Underdog Racing Development upgraded TOB. The items I replaced were:

Clutch disk (Replaced with Exedy kit, AISIN part)
Clutch Pressure Plate (Replaced with Exedy kit, AISIN part)
Flywheel (replaced with Luk part)
Rear Main Oil Seal (O'reilly Auto Parts)
Throw-out Arm Pivot Stud (replaced with new OEM part)
Throw-Out Bearing (URD Upgrade kit with quill sleeve)
Clutch Slave Cylinder (Replaced with new OEM part)
Shift lever seat (Core Shifter Part)
Transfer lever seat (Core Shifter Part)

All of the old parts were the originals that came on the vehicle. The clutch disk, pressure plate, and flywheel were all in almost new condition. The only exception would be that the splines on the clutch disk had the normal groove worn in them that would be consistent with a part that had over 200,000 miles. The throw-out bearing was another story. The bearing still spun freely, however it was dry and had a lot of play in it. I did not tear into it to see what the balls and races looked like. However, given that it had 202,000 miles on it I'm surprised it was not worse. The quill had a very slight amount of wear on it. I would not have worried about using it without the URD sleeve. The transfer lever seat had deteriorated badly and needed to be replaced. I found this unusual because I rarely use that lever. I replaced both of the lever seats with parts I got from Core Shifters.

I was able to complete the entire job over the span of a weekend at home. I have a pretty extensive collection of tools and purchased a transmission jack for the job. The main tool that came in handy was a very long socket extension to remove/replace the transmission bell bolts at the top. There were no surprises during the entire removal and replacement of the transmission. The only surprise was how smoothly it went.

The new clutch works great. I am able to get the wheels to slip on dry pavement and activate the VSC if I am aggressive with the clutch and throttle. The only differance I can tell with the new clutch is that the take-up is a bit longer. I think after I get used to it I will like it better than the original. I always thought the take-up on the original was a bit short. It sure is nice to not hear that TOB squeal anymore. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im reviving a dead thread here, but wanted to post since this the squeal is back for me.

Bone stock 2007 FJ, 2nd owner. I bought the truck in Feb. of 18' at 116k miles with perfect dealer maintenance records, everything done on time and even the slightest scratch reported and repaired. I have seen no report of previous bearing failure.
Come December 18' with 124k miles the TO bearing started to squeal. I put off replacing it until it became a serious nuisance and almost constant since I had read numerous threads and knew what the issue was. I took it to a very reputable trans shop in my area that has done a lot of work for me in the past and had it thoroughly looked over along with a new OEM clutch, fly wheel, TO bearing and pressure plate installed. The parts removed appeared to be all original to the truck, and there was no scoring on the quill or any other obvious things to worry about. Three weeks after this repair and less than 1k miles the squeal started again. Since the parts were under warranty the shop replaced EVERYTHING. All seemed fine after this.

I drove the truck this spring and summer daily with no issues (including pulling a vw bug across the country), now that the serious winter cold has set in I have again developed a loud squeal and grinding noise from the bearing, now in Feb. 19' with 134k miles on it and less than 10k between changes. For me it seems to only be a problem when ambient temps drop consistently below freezing and then it gradually gets worse from there until I start loosing my mind because of it.
I am planning on dropping the trans in the next month to install the URD sleeve/bearing kit along with upgrading the fork, pivot and master slave myself just for good measure since the truck never had the newer TSB parts installed. I don't want to have this same issue this time next year. I plan on keeping this truck forever and have had no other issues with it.

Its been a few years but has anyone found any other fixes for this issue or confirmed that this plan of action fixes everything or do I need to cross my fingers that the TSB parts and URD sleeve hold out?

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can see my post just above your's. It details the work I performed. I now have well over 50,000 miles on the URD TOB upgrade and have had no issues whatsoever. I have driven it in conditions anywhere from 110 F degrees to -20 F and it has been flawless.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I've read a number of instances where folks have stated that the URD TOB fix did not ultimately solve the problem. The only surefire fix to date seems to be the URD Hydro-Bearing kit, but URD has discontinued the kit with no clear plans to resurrect it anytime soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well what’s the update on the top? Maybe that was the hydro bearing and they they discontinued? Damn this sucks. My clutch is almost dead so need to get this done ASAP and was always hoping they’d rerelease it as gadget said they were going to. So pissed I missed that window

541 - 560 of 580 Posts