Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Documenting the steps to mod the Thule spare tire bike rack for an FJ. I like this rack the best, and with minor mods it works great on an FJ and retains the backup camera. Much better than a hitch mount rack for access. I left the pics small for size, but everything is pretty self explanatory. Tools: lug wrench, 12mm ratchet, mini Phillips screwdriver, 4.5" die grinder (or similar cutting tool). Parts required: one 1/4 20 x 1.5 bolt and nut. Time: 30 min

Step 1: Remove the spare tire. The bracket for the backup camera will be exposed.
Step 2: Remove the two 12mm bolts that hold the backup camera bracket to the spare tire mount. Leave wiring connected.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 4: You will be retaining the camera and bracket, but need to rotate the camera 180 degrees on the bracket since it mounts upside down on the bike rack. Remove the 2 mini phillips screws. Rotate the camera 180 degrees on the bracket. You will need to remove a small amount of plastic from the plug housing (the 2 vertical lines) in order for it to seat. Reattach screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 5: You will need to take your cutting implement and remove the ear (below the 2 mounting holes) from the spare tire bracket on the FJ with a horizontal cut. This will allow the square tube rack bracket to slide onto the mounting bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 8: Reinstall spare tire, passing camera and bracket assy through hub of spare.
Step 9: Install rack by sliding receiver over square mounting bracket, install knob and tighten.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step 10: using slotted hole in Thule rack, position camera and bracket and attach with the 1/4 inch bolt and nut. This position works well for viewing, but is still easy to remove if you need to take the rack off. I have considered some sort of quick-release but did not want to make it easy to swipe the camera.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts