Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from the site for a few weeks and upon my return I've noticed that attached thumbnails don't show on any of the posts anymore. I see the ATTACHED THUMBNAIL text but the pics aren't showing up anymore. Did something change recently or anyone have any other ideas what could be causing this?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,392 Posts
There are a couple of people that have been having that problem and they also can't see avatars.

·
Registered
696 Posts
There are a couple of people that have been having that problem and they also can't see avatars.
You can add me to that list using Chrome. No avatars or thumbnails on attachments. Also not able to click on the "Like" button (nothing happens) and the "Notifications" link isn't working. Tried MS Edge (ugh) and everything seems to work. Not sure what happened to Chrome with this forum.

Edit: Looks like the YouTube previews aren't working either.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,392 Posts
One of the others having problems is using Firefox.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I spent a solid 15 minutes thinking it was one of my browser plug-ins that was stopping them from working, before giving up and concluding that it must not be and something was actually wrong… It's good to see somebody else confirming that I was not crazy.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I can view everything "I think" but my notifications box drops really slowly and sometimes I can't see my own avatar without refreshing. This just started. Need old priest and young priest maybe?

·
Administrator
2,081 Posts
Going to add an attachment here as a test. Let me know if you can't see it. Also, can I get an example link of an attachment that is not displaying properly?

2 things I want to test with this. First, those getting these errors are you using any ad-blockers with your browsers?

Second, can you go to UserCP>Edit Options>Thread Display Options and make sure that all the boxes for attachments and avatars are checked? Could be some hiccup turned those settings off. I doubt it, but no stone left behind.

We are tracking a similar issue on another site in the network right now, so I'm going to tie this one in with that one, in case they turn out to be the same cause. Case #2508378

Kevin

·
Registered
696 Posts
Going to add an attachment here as a test. Let me know if you can't see it. Also, can I get an example link of an attachment that is not displaying properly?

2 things I want to test with this. First, those getting these errors are you using any ad-blockers with your browsers?

Second, can you go to UserCP>Edit Options>Thread Display Options and make sure that all the boxes for attachments and avatars are checked? Could be some hiccup turned those settings off. I doubt it, but no stone left behind.

We are tracking a similar issue on another site in the network right now, so I'm going to tie this one in with that one, in case they turn out to be the same cause. Case #2508378

Kevin
Thanks, I'll do this when I get home from work. It's odd, I checked it using Chrome at work (corporate firewall ad blockers and ABP), I do see avatars and can use my Notifications dropdown. However, if there's an attachment on your post, Kevin, I don't see that. --Don

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was able to get my problem resolved. I use chrome and disabled all my extensions, ran CCleaner to remove any residuals, then restarted my computer. That got me to be able to see avatars, thumbnails and dropdowns again. Then I started turning the extensions on one by one and refreshing the page until everything disappeared again. It turned out to be the ghostery extension, must have updated recently and whatever changed didn't want to play nice with the formatting.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well I was able to get my problem resolved. I use chrome and disabled all my extensions, ran CCleaner to remove any residuals, then restarted my computer. That got me to be able to see avatars, thumbnails and dropdowns again. Then I started turning the extensions on one by one and refreshing the page until everything disappeared again. It turned out to be the ghostery extension, must have updated recently and whatever changed didn't want to play nice with the formatting.
Interesting. I use Ghostery too at home but not at work. Probably why things work at work but not at home. I'll do what you did tonight. I bet I'll see the same results. Thanks for the info.

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
A few things I've noticed.

Using Firefox v. 50 something running on MS Win 10 with Ghostery as well. I paused the Ghostery but it had no effect. I updated Firefox just in case and rebooted it. No success.
Ran Anti-Malware, AVG, Search & Destroy and CCleaner. I updated it, ran the program with no viruses nor malware and rebooted it. No success.
Ghostery is always running in the background.
I clicked on my User CP and went through the settings just in case it was reset and nothing was off. So, no success.
Just out of sheer desperation, I did a Scandisk and a Defrag and I still have no luck.

Here are all the issues I've noticed;

Forum PM system seems to be unaffected.

No one's avatar is visible including mine. But strangely enough my signature picture is visible.

Attachments and pictures aren't visible. In this thread, I noticed that Winterpeg's attachment came out to a blue hyperlink rather than a pic or image.

Although the forum notifies me of likes and whatnots from others, when I click on it, it doesn't break it down for me anymore. It just gives me a collective total that can't be erased now.

I cannot use the quick reply anymore and everything I post must be from the advanced setting.

While posting in the advanced section, I don't see any Post Icons, just the circles that we'd normally click to choose an option.

I cannot attach pictures to any of my posts.

So like I've written recently, I'm just here for the ride now but I can't interact like I normally would have. It's pretty frustrating to say the least. I'm at wit's end about this but it is what it is until it isn't.

Hey Winter, send that other attachment to my personal email. You should have it.

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Admin
7,328 Posts

Hey Winter, send that other attachment to my personal email. You should have it.
It was just a picture of a rack of donuts bud... not worth wasting your time.

:cheers:

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
OK. LOL.

I thought it was some hot Redhead with a weapon or something.

Speaking of Reds...how's yours? And the kids?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Did the above suggestion work for you?

Niall
Well, not yet. I've tried uninstalling Ghostery, cleaning everything using CCleaner, and restarting Chrome. Issues are still there though. Once I get a break at work I'll restart the PC (working remote today) and see if that helps.

Hmm, still not working after reboot.

My experience is the same as Ronin877's well written post.

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
I just updated Firefox again. It's now at version 53 and it's still the same old problem.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that I cannot "like" anything either.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Firefox user here as well.
Clicking on Tools at the top has no effect, neither does clicking on Thread Tools, so I can no longer unsubscribe from any threads.
Also missing some features when making new posts, there is no tool bar to make words bold or underlined etc.
Also have lost the ability to attach photos.
Seems like we had lots of these same problems last year and it took months to get them fixed.
Whoever does the coding here sucks and needs to stop fking our shlt up.

·
Administrator
2,081 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, this site has been added to a ticket (#2504723) for our tech team to look into. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Niall

·
Forum Gunsmith
4,937 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, this site has been added to a ticket (#2504723) for our tech team to look into. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Niall
Has anyone got a prognosis for this issue yet? Any solutions or suggestions from the Web Gods?

Reactions: Thorn661
1 - 20 of 40 Posts